Wiki Posts
Search

Post Christmas trip to the beach

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM
Post Christmas trip to the beach

Hello. I just learned about this forum for the first time yesterday and spent a lot of time reading the posts. This could have helped me a lot over the years.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone here can help me plan a last minute trip the week after Christmas. We live in Atlanta, and I need something I can fly to in one day since we can only get away for 5 or 6 nights.

We spent that week in Anguilla for many years, but decided to try something new last year and went to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. As others here have posted, the hotel is spectactular and the service even better, but the beach made me miss Anguilla. We thought we were going to stay home this year, but my wife just informed me that our kids can stay with her parents that week. So - I thought I would try to plan a 5-6 night getaway to somewhere warm. For various reasons -- and I know this is really limiting me -- I need to keep my budget to less than $1000 per night.

I did some looking and although I could find openings at some of our favorite spots in the Carribean, I am having a very tough time finding flights. Or if there are flights, the prices are too high. For example, I found rooms at several places in the Dominican Republic (Casa Colonial and Sivory), but it is almost impossible to get there from Atlanta on the days we want. I recognize that this is the most difficult and expensive time of the year to travel to the beach, but maybe someone can suggest something I haven't thought of yet. We are interested in the Caribbean and Mexico, but I would love to hear about somewhere I haven't previously considered.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dave
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:27 pm

It looks like the minimum you will pay for a non-stop from ATL for those dates is 1500 USD $ in coach. This is when I would contact a top travel agent ( IMHO David O) and see what he can come up with as even if you spring for the airfare you will have difficulty finding a great place to stay. Good luck and please let us know what you come up with.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Hawaii?

Originally Posted by zigzag
It looks like the minimum you will pay for a non-stop from ATL for those dates is 1500 USD $ in coach. This is when I would contact a top travel agent ( IMHO David O) and see what he can come up with as even if you spring for the airfare you will have difficulty finding a great place to stay. Good luck and please let us know what you come up with.
I would echo those comments, DavidO might be able to do wonders for you, my wife and I have worked with him for years. This forum also has several other good providers like luxury.

Would you consider Hawaii? I see there is still availability at Halekulani, Kahala, Four Seasons Lanai, Ritz Carlton Maui that comfotably fit within your budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.