Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:38 pm

Here's another condemnation of the Singapore luxury hotel market. The old guard establishments are just too dowdy and certainly not inspirational. When I'm on a 14 hour flight, I want to be able to look forward to the hotel; unfortunately, staying at a Singapore luxury hotel is about as inspirational as staying at a Motel 6 somewhere in Ohio. I guess the Fullerton Bay is the best of the insipid lot.

Out of frustration, I went rogue when choosing a hotel for my most recent business trip to Singapore. I stayed at the Vagabond, one of those adorable little boutique places that I normally abhor. Much to my surprise, it was really delightful. A wildly friendly, charming, enthusiastic staff (though the place struck me as being understaffed) compensated for the small, though beautiful, rooms. Awesome bartender, which is an important element for me. The restaurant was closed (grrrh) but the staff were readily able to recommend many delicious options within walking distance.

Another great thing about the Vagabond was that it forcibly removed me from the sterile and so very dull corporate aspect of Singapore. I was plopped into the throbbing heart of local everyday life and it was fun. Who knew Singapore could be fun!

Would I go back to the Vagabond? Maybe. I did enjoy the place but amenities that many of us take for granted, such as a proper spa/fitness center, were nonexistent. Still, I got an adrenaline boost from staying at a hotel filled with life and energy. The StR has all the excitement of a funeral home.

I'm now thinking about giving the Duxton a try when my next trip comes around, assuming that the Patina is doomed to never opening.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Vaterland
Here's another condemnation of the Singapore luxury hotel market. The old guard establishments are just too dowdy and certainly not inspirational. When I'm on a 14 hour flight, I want to be able to look forward to the hotel; unfortunately, staying at a Singapore luxury hotel is about as inspirational as staying at a Motel 6 somewhere in Ohio. I guess the Fullerton Bay is the best of the insipid lot.

Out of frustration, I went rogue when choosing a hotel for my most recent business trip to Singapore. I stayed at the Vagabond, one of those adorable little boutique places that I normally abhor. Much to my surprise, it was really delightful. A wildly friendly, charming, enthusiastic staff (though the place struck me as being understaffed) compensated for the small, though beautiful, rooms. Awesome bartender, which is an important element for me. The restaurant was closed (grrrh) but the staff were readily able to recommend many delicious options within walking distance.

Another great thing about the Vagabond was that it forcibly removed me from the sterile and so very dull corporate aspect of Singapore. I was plopped into the throbbing heart of local everyday life and it was fun. Who knew Singapore could be fun!

Would I go back to the Vagabond? Maybe. I did enjoy the place but amenities that many of us take for granted, such as a proper spa/fitness center, were nonexistent. Still, I got an adrenaline boost from staying at a hotel filled with life and energy. The StR has all the excitement of a funeral home.

I'm now thinking about giving the Duxton a try when my next trip comes around, assuming that the Patina is doomed to never opening.
MODERATORS! This post uses the words 'fun' and 'Singapore' in the same sentence. HELP! ... There has to be a rule against this ...
JNelson113 and barracuda93 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
It seems Singapore's luxury hotel market doesn't have any stand-outs. This just makes me more certain of the value of my elite SPG status if I were to stay at the St Regis Singapore. At least I'll get much better treatment and likely value-add upgrades and fare no worse than at any of the other peer luxury hotels.

The same can be said for those who opt for the Ritz Carlton, InterContinental, Vagabond (SPG Tribite Portfolio), JW Marriott, and perhaps even Grand Hyatt.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
MODERATORS! This post uses the words 'fun' and 'Singapore' in the same sentence. HELP! ... There has to be a rule against this ...
I don't mind singers - bit more relaxed than dubai which is pretty crazy.

I'm open to a new hotel in SIN on my next trip - let's see...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
his just makes me more certain of the value of my elite SPG status if I were to stay at the St Regis Singapore. At least I'll get much better treatment and likely value-add upgrades and fare no worse than at any of the other peer luxury hotels.

The same can be said for those who opt for the Ritz Carlton, InterContinental, Vagabond (SPG Tribite Portfolio), JW Marriott, and perhaps even Grand Hyatt.
Not RC. It does not participate in the MR or RC programs.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not RC. It does not participate in the MR or RC programs.
The confusion about RC and MR is abundant. But the RC and MR programs give the same benefits. MR points are the same as RC points insofar as awards go. Upgrades with MR have always been based on discretion and availability, and that's the same with RC (but not to Club). Now that Marriott (and RC) merged with SPG, there is obvious equivalency between MR and RC programs.

RC Reserve doesn't participate in RCR/MR. But that's a different story...and unrelated to Singapore.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 19, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
^

The best thing about Singapore is its airline. And the solution to the hotel question is to fly SQ (or TG, CX) to BKK, HKG or elsewhere with better hotels. Or fly SQ to Bali for a resort stay.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 20, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The confusion about RC and MR is abundant. But the RC and MR programs give the same benefits. MR points are the same as RC points insofar as awards go. Upgrades with MR have always been based on discretion and availability, and that's the same with RC (but not to Club). Now that Marriott (and RC) merged with SPG, there is obvious equivalency between MR and RC programs.

RC Reserve doesn't participate in RCR/MR. But that's a different story...and unrelated to Singapore.
I'm sorry, but the confusion here is not mine.

The Ritz Carlton Singapore does not participate in Marriott Rewards or Ritz Carlton Rewards. Period. You cannot earn points or redeem points, nor does the property provide any elite benefits.

This is expressly stated when you book with the property, and it is expressly carved out in the MR terms and conditions:
Members may earn Points or Miles and may redeem Points at participating Marriott hotel brands and Ritz-Carlton hotels:
  • The Ritz-Carlton® – all locations except:The Ritz-Carlton, Millennia Singapore
Discussed in several other threads. E.g., Does Ritz Carlton Singapore Offer Marriott Rewards?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm sorry, but the confusion here is not mine.

The Ritz Carlton Singapore does not participate in Marriott Rewards or Ritz Carlton Rewards. Period. You cannot earn points or redeem points, nor does the property provide any elite benefits.

This is expressly stated when you book with the property, and it is expressly carved out in the MR terms and conditions:
Members may earn Points or Miles and may redeem Points at participating Marriott hotel brands and Ritz-Carlton hotels:
  • The Ritz-Carlton® – all locations except:The Ritz-Carlton, Millennia Singapore
Discussed in several other threads. E.g., Does Ritz Carlton Singapore Offer Marriott Rewards?
Ah, I now understand. Sorry. I misunderstood and thought you were trying to suggest something else. You were referring to this specific RC Singapore property, and I thought you meant the entire RC rewards program. Oops.

Still, I'd still include the RC Millenium as I originally stated--assuming one still can earn points for an award stay elsewhere--which isn't true for most of the luxury options in Singapore. If I'm mistaken on that, too, then so be it and I'd agree to not bother with the RC!

Obviously, the other options I mentioned already allow one to both earn and burn points. I'd obviously go for the StR.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 20, 2017 at 1:08 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

singapore is only RC that doesnt participate (one can not still earn points for an award stay elsewhere) also largest RC at 608 rooms (~100 club)

RC owner also owns capella , regent (managed by FS) , conrad , patina (joint venture)

patina owners are next in court sometime before october

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 22, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat. IHG Plat, SL Jade
I am planning on staying in Singapore for about 3-4 nights. Either 2-3 nights at Capella. If we stay 4 nights it'll be 2 nights Capella and possibly 2 nights in the city area.

So we're planning on just relaxing on Sentosa for the first couple days then explore/shop/eat for the other 2 days. We'll also have our 4 month old daughter by the time we go Singapore if that's going to affect your advice.

Do you think it's worth moving back to the city area for 2 nights? or should I just stay at Capella for the duration (4 nights)?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN
Just another review of the SIN market.

We had a fantastic 3 night stay at the FBH, booked by besvisor. Got upgraded to a Bay Room. Great service/recognition all around. We wanted to stay an extra 4 nights, however they were fully committed.

We made the huge mistake of booking a club level room at the MO. While the staff in the club were very nice, the room and hard product itself was dreadful. Felt like a Hilton. It was well worn, tired, half the outlets didn't work, etc. We were supposed to stay 4 nights and lasted less than 24 hours... before fleeing. No comparison in soft or hard product to the FBH, even though the price points were pretty similar.

We've moved to the Capella on Sentosa (need a few more days of R&R). I stayed at the Capella Ixtapa last year and had a great experience. So far - so good here. We booked a Sea View room and go an FHR upgrade (an 3rd night free) to a huge garden villa with a plunge pool. So glad to get away from that craphole MO.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Well , glenny84 , you lasted longer . There was some noisy party in the next room , we did not even stay the night !! That was many moons ago & the room was nowhere like MOHK , MOBKK or any other MOs we have stayed in ..
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:10 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Sometimes, I really don't get the fuss over MO...but then again, I feel just about the same for most hotels in SIN. Maybe after NYC, Aman can put one in their HQ city
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Sometimes, I really don't get the fuss over MO...but then again, I feel just about the same for most hotels in SIN. Maybe after NYC, Aman can put one in their HQ city
Confirmation bias: most people are too beholden to a preferred (hotel) brand that makes them feel so special that they too often cannot honestly evaluate the specific examples of that brand in particular locations. Especially where that brand location is a weaker example. That's also why branding is so powerful--people assume the best of the brands they love and tend to ignore weaknesses.

In the example of MO, I think so many people love the MO in Bangkok and Tokyo that they cannot imagine it won't be as wonderful in a place like SIN. And the ignore the obvious weaknesses of the SIN property. Confirmation bias strikes again.

I think the other luxury chain where this confirmation bias is most prevalent is Four Seasons, followed by Ritz Carlton. There are way too many who blindly assume that every FS or RC is somehow the best in any market...even when it is blatantly obvious that isn't the case. It is obvious when confirmation bias strikes for these because the adherents too often cannot accept that theirs is not the absolute best but is only one of several or even many that are considered the best.

I love the StR brand as everyone knows, but that didn't preclude me from honestly dismissing the Washington, DC, and Dubai StR (and Houston) properties as being too dated and/or with too many service issues for me to return for the time being. I don't blindly assume that my beloved StR is the best in every market or even most markets. I think the StR is one of the best in many, if not most, markets...but a bit weaker in some markets, too.

I love the PH brand, too, but that didn't preclude me from honestly critiquing the Vienna property as lacking any sense of place and having some intrinsic service weaknesses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.