FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Moscow calling (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1030006-moscow-calling.html)

Earthman Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Moscow calling

Anyone prepared to recommend a luxury hotel near enough to walk to the Kremlin?
You can comment on the Ritz carlton as well please but other alternatives or is it the only decent show in town?
I heard there was a four seasons in the offing?

We're planning this in the new year maybe February.

n3farious Dec 20, 2009 1:37 pm

I made my first trip to Moscow in March 2009. Looking forward to the next trip! I didn't stay, but the Ritz Carlton Moscow was just off Red Square and is on my list for the next trip. Be sure to give yourself enough lead time with the Russian visa application. Complex process.

Earthman Dec 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Good Lord..I see what you mean :)

Thats going to make things a tad difficult in terms of booking flights and accommodation in that We'd have to be sure to have the visa's in time.

It's a little off topic but important,what sort of lead in time would you be talking about.
I see we'll have to get an "invitation" first and then bring that along with the rest to the embassy.There appears to be online sites that handle that for a fee which seems strange,they get the invitation for you and some handle the visa part aswell.

Raffles Dec 21, 2009 3:04 am

The Hyatt is the other top-end option, which is where we stayed a couple of years ago. The room was a little 'functional' but the location is fantastic and overall it is not a bad place. I've read some bad stuff about the R-C but to be honest haven't looked at the reviews for a while.

Your best bet - given Moscow prices - would be Hyatt points if you could do an exchange with someone who has some.

Flying - don't use BA because they have the clapped out 767's. BMI is the only way to do this, especially given the exceptionally low number of BMI miles required. Laughably it is far, far cheaper to join Diamond Club and buy the miles you need for a J redemption than actually buy a ticket.

Visa - it is not that difficult in London, not sure about Ireland. Book the hotel and they will fax you the form (with a warning they will charge your credit card if you later cancel the stay). You then simply drop it in at a visa service bureau (probably one in Dublin) who can take care of it in a few days. I use one very close to my office in London, although I believe that the Russians have now opened a 'proper' visa office in London which avoids the need to queue for 3 hours in the cold in Kensington.

If you're not arriving at the weekend, consider taking the train from DME as the traffic can be very, very, very bad indeed.

n3farious Dec 21, 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Earthman (Post 13025040)
It's a little off topic but important,what sort of lead in time would you be talking about.

It was a few weeks in my case. As Raffles has stated, book the hotel and they will fax over the form. Find a recommended visa processing services agency from the Russian Consulate website. I used CIBT, very helpful.

+1 on taking the train from DME.

GetSetJetSet Dec 21, 2009 2:46 pm

I enjoyed the Park Hyatt Ararat, it's walking distance. I haven't been back since the Ritz opened buth ave heard good things. Unless it has been remodeled int he past few years the Kempinski is a bit run down, avoid.

lucycan Dec 22, 2009 1:03 pm

We stayed at the Moscow Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel (up the street from the Park Hyatt) in July and were happy. Easy walking distance to the Kremlin.