Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are you going next?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by scented
How was Park Hyatt Vienna?
Actually was very surprised how good it was, especially in light of comments on this forum. Definitely not perfect, but their hard product is so beautiful that I feel it makes up for some of the lapses. We were greeted by GM on check in and had name recognition during most encounters with staff. The Bank was particularly impressive, not just the food, but service too, as they even delivered small complimentary treats as they "heard" we liked certain food. Absolutely loved the suite, although thought the living room was a wasted opportunity due to how sparse it was and how small the furniture is. The pool and spa are really beautiful and 6pm checkout given for free.

The complaints (cos I always have some): we called 3 times to ask them to change the blackout blinds and only after emailing the FoM did anything happen - it was never acknowledged that it wasn't acceptable; housekeeping did probably the worst job I've ever seen in a 5 star hotel when it came to turndown, with things just left there without being tidied - we actually phoned to ask them to come back and do it again (admittedly at Coworth Park they didn't come at all, so I guess maybe it's a draw); the Internet was unbearably slow; AC was set to 21C, but the room was absolutely boiling during the middle of the night and we're barely in Spring.

So yeah, not perfect by any stretch, but I'd still likely return.

Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Actually was very surprised how good it was, especially in light of comments on this forum. Definitely not perfect, but their hard product is so beautiful that I feel it makes up for some of the lapses. We were greeted by GM on check in and had name recognition during most encounters with staff. The Bank was particularly impressive, not just the food, but service too, as they even delivered small complimentary treats as they "heard" we liked certain food. Absolutely loved the suite, although thought the living room was a wasted opportunity due to how sparse it was and how small the furniture is. The pool and spa are really beautiful and 6pm checkout given for free.

The complaints (cos I always have some): we called 3 times to ask them to change the blackout blinds and only after emailing the FoM did anything happen - it was never acknowledged that it wasn't acceptable; housekeeping did probably the worst job I've ever seen in a 5 star hotel when it came to turndown, with things just left there without being tidied - we actually phoned to ask them to come back and do it again (admittedly at Coworth Park they didn't come at all, so I guess maybe it's a draw); the Internet was unbearably slow; AC was set to 21C, but the room was absolutely boiling during the middle of the night and we're barely in Spring.

So yeah, not perfect by any stretch, but I'd still likely return.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57682405056095
Housekeeping was a disaster for us as well. Dirty cloths left in the room, toilet paper forgotten and some evenings either completely forgotten or too late that our daughter had already gone to bed. I agree about the hard product but service was definitely not up to PH standard.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:50 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
AC was set to 21C, but the room was absolutely boiling during the middle of the night and we're barely in Spring.
Holy hell. Not a chance I'd stay there now. We already are confirmed for 2 rooms at The Imperial in October...with guarantees in writing for air con capable of 19 C.

Any air con set to 21C in a luxury hotel that doesn't work properly is grounds for a full night's refund in my book!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Holy hell. Not a chance I'd stay there now. We already are confirmed for 2 rooms at The Imperial in October...with guarantees in writing for air con capable of 19 C.

Any air con set to 21C in a luxury hotel that doesn't work properly is grounds for a full night's refund in my book!
Every time I stay in a hotel and I'm too hot at night, I think of you. And you can quote me on that.

We went for a tour of The Imperial and felt were definitely made the right choice with the Park Hyatt. The woman giving us a tour told us that they were the only hotel in Europe with butler service. I suppose she thinks they invented hotels too and hold a patent on the idea to this day.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I'm with you. The room's got to be cool to sleep comfortably. Two years ago we came back from dinner at Coworth Park and the nanny they provided was wrapped in a blanket. She didn't dare to turn the temperature up!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:47 am

I had heard horror reports about housekeeping at PH Vienna, but this sounds rather fun. Will report back.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Every time I stay in a hotel and I'm too hot at night, I think of you. And you can quote me on that.
Baby! Join the club. If I had a nickel for every time a man said that...

We went for a tour of The Imperial and felt we definitely made the right choice with the Park Hyatt. The woman giving us a tour told us that they were the only hotel in Europe with butler service. I suppose she thinks they invented hotels too and hold a patent on the idea to this day.
Haha. Well, it was just one (obviously uninformed) woman...and I'm not sure that has much impact on my hotel stay! (I happen to love butler service, as it were, so it's another reason I think I'll enjoy the Imperial.) I'll stick to judging luxury hotels by air con, food/beverage, overall service levels, and design. The Imperial isn't my style...but I trust the air con, service, and food/beverage at the Imperial far more than I do at this PH.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:46 pm

I + wife are headed to Phuket this June, for a short anniversary break. We've booked ourselves for 2 nights each at COMO Point Yamu (Verandah Room with Pool) and The Sarojin, Khao Lak (Pool Residence). Heard mostly positive things about both, so hoping they live up to expectations.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by esotericidiot
I + wife are headed to Phuket this June, for a short anniversary break. We've booked ourselves for 2 nights each at COMO Point Yamu (Verandah Room with Pool) and The Sarojin, Khao Lak (Pool Residence). Heard mostly positive things about both, so hoping they live up to expectations.
Welcome back!

Don't know if it is classified as truly luxury, but booked the Ivy luxury collection in Minneapolis for next month. Still looking for a few places to go in June...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:50 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Anguilla in June
CPT, Sabi Sands, Vic Falls, Botswana, Namibia, London and Paris in July-August
Sedona/Southern Utah winter time
Patagonia next spring, followed by a brief circuit through EZE, Iguazu, and Rio.

Besvisor deserves a shoutout. He's gotten me 1-2x upgrades and child surcharges waived in every case.

A couple of camping and skiing trips with my friends, but I don't think tents will count on this forum.

We keep our AC on at 17 c, even in the dead of summer (during night, not the day) . I don't think any of these places are going to meet my standards. Perhaps I should just live with Bhrubin's higher temps!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex PRG, Ritz Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Mlife Platinum
We're off to Honolulu in two weeks, staying at Halekulani. Then to San Francisco on the return, staying at the Ritz.

Vegas in June, staying at Bellagio.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Gili lankafushi 9-14 May.

Can't wait.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Next up is Chicago. We got great seats for Hamilton (face value)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Bali. I'm economising to save for a mega trip next year. I wanted a suite at the St Regis but forced myself to save so I'm at a nice small pool villa complex for $150 a night.

I got some great accom ideas on the Asia thread.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Corsair66
We're off to Honolulu in two weeks, staying at Halekulani. Then to San Francisco on the return, staying at the Ritz.

Vegas in June, staying at Bellagio.
Sounds wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.