LH axes service for PDX-FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
LH axes service for PDX-FRA

Hi All,

I heard some of thread from a.net came in this afternoon. So unfortunately for LH will be discontinuation FRA-PDX. Because the economic didn't improves very well. So it will be still remains for SEA-FRA to becoming year-round. Maybe LH will able comeback into PDX. Why LH didn't have to choose for which specific routes is LAS/PHX. I know LH didn't have any received approval from city of Phoenix. So perhaps LH will be reintroduction nonstop for FRA-PHX sometime in the near future.

So sorry for your disappointed the news came in today.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: LH HON
A purser has told me a similar story a few month ago. Assumed it was still a rumour and nothing final. I want LH to keep the PDX route
Old Jul 3, 2009, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh492
A purser has told me a similar story a few month ago. Assumed it was still a rumour and nothing final. I want LH to keep the PDX route
Are you absolutely sure about this?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: MVPGold 75K
LH to cancel PDX-FRA-from a.net

it seems LH wats to cancel PDX-FRA mid Sept. I read it on airliners.net.
Anyone knows more?

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4471876/

A
Old Jul 4, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Seems to hold true, did some spot-checks and only found Y and B availability after September 13th...usually a sign that this flight is at least under discussion.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djohannw
Seems to hold true, did some spot-checks and only found Y and B availability after September 13th...usually a sign that this flight is at least under discussion.

Greetings - Dirk
You are correct for LH will be discontinuing service. The seat availability is zero. So unfortunately LH will be no longer existing nonstop PDX-FRA due to low-yield. So what is exactly gonna do for next future new routes out of FRA-PHX/LAS. I think LH could be workout very well for FRA-PHX will be reintroductions. Right now, they are in negotiable with city of Phoenx will have to decide to be reinstates.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
on top of the pullout of Lufthansa from PDX, DL/NW will also be cutting service PDX-AMS from 6x/week to 4x/week. This time last year PDX had 14x/week service to Europe. Come september PDX will be down to only 4x/week to Europe! When comparing September 08 to September 09 frequency, this is around a 71% decrease in service!YIKES!
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
on top of the pullout of Lufthansa from PDX, DL/NW will also be cutting service PDX-AMS from 6x/week to 4x/week. This time last year PDX had 14x/week service to Europe. Come september PDX will be down to only 4x/week to Europe! When comparing September 08 to September 09 frequency, this is around a 71% decrease in service!YIKES!
In light of this recent development with LH, I think Delta might reevaluate that frequency reduction.

NWA and Lufthansa have been playing chicken in an thin route (PDX-Europe) that had too much capacity. Lufthansa was apparently the first to blink, and Delta is breathing a huge sigh of relief.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 4:45 am

Programs: UAL Plat, 2+MM, AA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
Lufthansa website still shows LH #469 on the schedule after 9/14....though I wouldn't doubt this route going away with SFO and SEA options available.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
It wouldn't surprise me. When I flew this route in April, economy was half full, there were only 4 people in business and one guy had first class all to himself (but they weren't trying to sell upgrades). If this is anyway typical, they can't possibly be making money on this route.

T
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by djohannw

Greetings - Dirk
I need a PDX flight in September and just checked for it. The website still offers it. Worst case I go via YVR, but the direct return flight was always nice.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh492
I need a PDX flight in September and just checked for it. The website still offers it. Worst case I go via YVR, but the direct return flight was always nice.
I agree with you. I think SEA is much nicer than PDX. Why you don't fly out of PDX-SEA on QX/AS. So unfortunately for LH will be no longer existing service. Maybe there is something else where LH will have to be temporarily discontinuation during Winter 2009/10 seasonal.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

See the discussions is already existing:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-pdx-fra.html

Thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
When this route started, I believe my company was among a few that guaranteed a certain amount of paid C business on this route. At first those commiments were met (and then some; some days sold out I heard). Now that my company (and likely others) has mandated Y for everyone but top level execs, I can't see how this route is at all profitable anymore. A shame, but realistic in these times.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
I have checked availability on business class non-stop from PDX to FRA in mid-October on the LH site -- it is indeed still bookable. It appears as though it may only be 3 times per week, however. I don't know why the other poster indicated that it was zeroed out. It certainly isn't at the Lufthansa website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.