Choosing seats on a Lufthansa flight

Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Choosing seats on a Lufthansa flight

Hello,

I booked a flight from STL to London, and from Berlin back to STL on United (LHR-TXL is on British Airways as a separate booking, not that it matters or anything). On the return trip, I'm on a Lufthansa flight from TXL-FRA and FRA-ORD. For all of the United legs of the trip, I was able to choose my seats on their website, but I couldn't choose my seats for the Lufthansa legs. And I went to Lufthansa's website, and didn't see anywhere where I could choose my seats.

I booked the cheapest, nonrefundable economy fare, and I'm not part of any frequent flyer program, and I've never flown on United or Lufthansa before. So is there any way for me to choose seats prior to check in? Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, LH FTL, BA, US, DL, UA, AF, Hilton, Priority Pass, Priority Club
TXL you can not choose a seat for, since Economy is adjustable (but we won't get into that). To select a seat for the FRA-ORD flight, you can either select a seat online (by joining Miles&More and opening the booking), or by calling Lufthansa's 800 number (800 645 3880) and requesting a seat there. One question; did you book this through Lufthansa or United?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Before calling LH, check for seat availability for your flight on expedia or travelocity. Find the best seat available first.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neo16287
TXL you can not choose a seat for, since Economy is adjustable (but we won't get into that). To select a seat for the FRA-ORD flight, you can either select a seat online (by joining Miles&More and opening the booking), or by calling Lufthansa's 800 number (800 645 3880) and requesting a seat there. One question; did you book this through Lufthansa or United?
I booked it on United's website. I signed up on LH's website and found the spot where I could enter a confirmation number to view the booking, so I entered my United confirmation number and it said it couldn't be found. Was I in the wrong spot or entering the wrong number? Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by todd325
I booked it on United's website. I signed up on LH's website and found the spot where I could enter a confirmation number to view the booking, so I entered my United confirmation number and it said it couldn't be found. Was I in the wrong spot or entering the wrong number? Thanks
You were entering the wrong number. UA's booking system is different from LH's, and there are two different codes for your booking depending on which system you want to access it on. Call UA to ask for your LH booking reference.

Alternatively, you can call LH and locate your booking via the LH flight number and your name. Given the difficulties involved with dealing with UA's Indian call centres, this might actually be a faster option.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

OK, I now have my LH booking code, and I can see my booking on LH's site, but where can I choose my seats? I don't see that option anywhere. Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:46 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by todd325
OK, I now have my LH booking code, and I can see my booking on LH's site, but where can I choose my seats? I don't see that option anywhere. Thanks
I never managed to change my seats afterwards (online). Basically, you have to call them up and they will take care of the seat change.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I never managed to change my seats afterwards (online). Basically, you have to call them up and they will take care of the seat change.
...and if you call them up, they will change it for you, but then the computer will randomly change it to some other seat a couple of weeks before your departure. Then you call again to get old seat, then it will change again, etc... I have played this game many times with LH.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
I have actually managed to get a bulkhead seat on MUC-SFO by calling LH, even though it was either booked on UA or Orbitz (I forget). I was astonished.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamo... Globalist
As neo16287 pointed out, I just called (800 645 3880) and had my seats assigned and LH booking number given to me in 5 minutes, easiest option by far!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Please do not bump old threads with outdated information. You can check the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...seating+thread for current information regarding seat selection.

Have a nice day

totti
Moderator M&M forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.