Search

[Frankfurt] lounge access new c gates // cash upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2008, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M - US AIR - BMI - HYATT - SPG - SIXT - PP
Question [Frankfurt] lounge access new c gates // cash upgrade

Dear flyertalker's,

I have an upcoming trip next weekend with two flights booked on seperate initiaries:

Vie-Fra OS 123 - Business [D Fare]
Fra-Pek LH 720 - Economy [S Fare]

Given that my first leg is on time, I will approximately have a 3 hour layover in fra. I don't have any FF Status yet (will probably make SEN in '08 though ) and would like to know if I have access to the new "C/D Riegel" with my United RCC Card? Normally I have access to all business *A lounges with the card and same day ticket. I have checked recent departures and see that PEK is leaving in section C, does anybody know where my Vie flight will arrive?

Furthermore are their any chances of upgrading an int. S fare on LH? Cash at the gate? If so, what would this approx. cost?

Concerning mileage I see that the S fare only earns 50%.. is there an economical way to buy-up to V class without paying the fare difference?

Thanks alot for your help on all of my questions.

Best Regards, asmallworld
Old May 3, 2008, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Cash upgrades are possible at any time. I am however convinced that you will not proceed, as LH will simply charge you the fare difference between your S fare and full fare C.

The CRT fare FRA-PEK is USD 8.175 round trip.
Old May 3, 2008, 7:01 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hi asmallworld!

May I suggest to use the search function? It is a very helpful feature of FT and allows you to access a wealth of information here.

This thread covers connections in FRA for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712844

And this thread covers upgrades at the gate:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711432

(the short answer is, there aren't any in Europe).

And the only way to get to a higher booking class for mileage purposes is to pay the fare difference.

Happy flying!
Old May 4, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
..And the only way to get to a higher booking class for mileage purposes is to pay the fare difference..
Yes. But that is the very best case imaginable - an S fare is usually not even 'upfare-able' and getting it to an upgradable fare can easily mean forfeiting the original ticket and buying a new one .
Old May 4, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by weero
Yes. But that is the very best case imaginable - an S fare is usually not even 'upfare-able' and getting it to an upgradable fare can easily mean forfeiting the original ticket and buying a new one .
Noo weero...

All lower fare classes can b upfared
the original protion of the S fare is then still non-refundable and non changeable...
Old May 4, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
Noo weero...

All lower fare classes can b upfared
the original protion of the S fare is then still non-refundable and non changeable...
Does that make sense? LH (actually LX thanks to calling from Switzerland) sold me a lower fare class than agreed upon and I my efforts to upfare were rudely turned down. I only prevailed in the end as I insisted that I did not order this product and hence they gave in to take more money...

Still, I agree that the opinion of the frontline employees doesn't made a company's policy.
Old May 5, 2008, 1:05 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
Does that make sense?
LOL!
Old May 5, 2008, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input! I already thought that buy-ups are tough with LH in europe While lurking around on FT I have already been through the suggested links/search.. thanks anyhow.

How about the lounge access? Any good news on that?

Is the new "C/D Riegel" a combined gate/lounge? Which would mean Y/C/F PAX and Status PAX are in seperate boarding/waiting areas?

Thats how I had understood it from the LH News about the new lounge concept.

My RCC Card should do the trick.. just wondering if anyone has precise info.. just to make sure that the low earning, untrained LH lounge wardens don't use their "power/arrogance" to the full extent if you understand what I am saying.

Cheers, asmallworld
Old May 5, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by asmallworld

My RCC Card should do the trick.. just wondering if anyone has precise info.. just to make sure that the low earning, untrained LH lounge wardens don't use their "power/arrogance" to the full extent if you understand what I am saying.

Cheers, asmallworld
Na they have been outsourced to United
Old May 5, 2008, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Na they have been outsourced to United
Thats a good one

Last edited by asmallworld; May 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm
Old May 5, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold

Cheers, asmallworld
LH hates UA elites !
Old May 6, 2008, 1:57 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vie-Fra OS 123 - Business [D Fare]
Fra-Pek LH 720 - Economy [S Fare]
Are these flights on the same day?
Old May 6, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, LH FTL, BA, US, DL, UA, AF, Hilton, Priority Pass, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Rambuster
LH hates UA elites !
Lol, during my time with LH I never really hated UA elites...I met several who were downright cordial! My only gripe were some UAGS and 1Ks who got antsy when we told them that the Business Lounge was our designated *G lounge (but our SEN lounge was so damn small!). We had problems with US elites as well, but that story I shall save for another occasion. My point is there is a rotten apple in every barrel, but it is a very big barrel.

Actually, due to the size constraints on the lounge at my former station, FTLs are no longer admitted...shade considering I'm nearly there myself. Even more so if NW leaves the terminal (as there aren't any more PP lounges... )
Old May 6, 2008, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
Are these flights on the same day?
Yes indeed. Does my biz boardingpass help me in any way?

Vie-Fra 13:20-14:50
Fra-Pek 17:20-08:30

Layover in Fra 2:30hours.

Cheers, asmallworld
Old May 6, 2008, 3:31 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes indeed. Does my biz boardingpass help me in any way?
Yup.

Even if you didn't have an RCC membership, you can present your same-day business class boarding pass (or stub) from any *A carrier for access to any *A business class lounge.

Hence, your OS business class boarding pass stub is all you need for access (though I'm sure they will want to see your connecting flight BP as well.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.