Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUB-FRA-NRT on honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport, BMI Diamond Club Silver, UA Premier
DUB-FRA-NRT on honeymoon

Hi there,
I'm going on honeymoon to Japan and we're flying DUB-FRA-NRT on LH in Y using BMI points+cash. I have a few questions and wouldn't normally bother you with such trivialities, but, as I hope you understand, I'm very keen for this trip to go as smoothly as possible!
- Am I right in thinking the FRA-NRT leg will be on a 747-400?
- Is there anywhere on the LH website to select seats prior to check-in? Do I need to enroll in M&M for this?
- My BMI Silver won't get us into the LH lounge in FRA for our 4 hour layover on the outbound trip. Does anyone know of any promos or special offers I could take advantage of for this? For example BMI are currently offering a pair of lounge vouchers if you enroll online for BMI Diamond.
I have Aer Lingus Gold and EI compete with LH on DUB-FRA. Any chance I could use that as some sort of leverage?

Any other tips or suggestions on making the best of this trip would be hugely appreciated!

All the best,
Tonto.

Last edited by tonto_b; Apr 15, 2008 at 10:03 am
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
For which config or aircraft is on you flight(s), please refer to the LH/OS seating thread in this forum.

No lounge access with BD*S, LH doesn't sell lounge access nor do they hand out any vouchers you could aquire thru trades.

The 744 NRT flight leaves from the new new C13-16 (C/D riegel) in FRA, so the facilities there should be pretty nice. AFAIK EI leaves from the D gates, so you could get over there are try with the lounge EI uses?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Congratulations to your upcoming wedding!

The only form of paid lounge membership I am aware of for Frankfurt is the Priority Pass. This would allow you access to the Admirals Clubs which I think is landside.
Or maybe you can find a friendly FTer who can guest you into the first class terminal?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:02 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 744 NRT flight leaves from the new new C13-16 (C/D riegel) in FRA, so the facilities there should be pretty nice.
LH710 FRA-NRT is my usual flight to Japan (I prefer LH714 MUC-NRT but the ticket is often more expensive ) so I've been checking its departure gate with interest. As far as I can see LH710 departed only once from C13-16 since the C/D riegel opened in FRA and usually leaves from B20s or B40s. LH740 to KIX and LH736 to NGO on the other hand appear to leave from C13-16 regularly.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
Congrats on your wedding!

Since you're using BD cash&miles AND it's your Honeymoon might I suggest trying to buy/accumulate a little more miles in order to get in C or perhaps F?

Regards,
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport, BMI Diamond Club Silver, UA Premier
Firstly, thank you all for the good wishes. I'm sure we'll have a great trip regardless of any extra perks I wrangle!
Thanks also for the tips. I hadn't realised what fantastic value business class is when using points+cash. I didn't have enough points at the time I booked, so at least there are no regrets on my part for not doing it then. I just about have enough now though so I called BMI and unfortunately there are no C seats available. I checked the ANA website and confirmed this. In fact there is pretty much no availability outside of F (and even then most are full) on any *A flights to NRT that day. I had no idea it's such a heavily subscribed route*.
So, I'll keep an eye on ANA in case any seats open up.
By the way, I should have asked the BMI lady I spoke to, but I guess I can pre-assign seats through them?

Thanks again.

Tonto.

*Edit: just occurred to me that that's a silly thing to say. I've just been booking some Hilton rewards nights where there are no blackout dates. Of course, the availability I was looking at was for reward redemptions.

Last edited by tonto_b; Apr 16, 2008 at 10:50 am
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by tonto_b
Hi there,
I'm going on honeymoon to Japan and we're flying DUB-FRA-NRT on LH in Y using BMI points+cash. I have a few questions and wouldn't normally bother you with such trivialities, but, as I hope you understand, I'm very keen for this trip to go as smoothly as possible!
- Am I right in thinking the FRA-NRT leg will be on a 747-400?
- Is there anywhere on the LH website to select seats prior to check-in? Do I need to enroll in M&M for this?
- My BMI Silver won't get us into the LH lounge in FRA for our 4 hour layover on the outbound trip. Does anyone know of any promos or special offers I could take advantage of for this? For example BMI are currently offering a pair of lounge vouchers if you enroll online for BMI Diamond.
I have Aer Lingus Gold and EI compete with LH on DUB-FRA. Any chance I could use that as some sort of leverage?

Any other tips or suggestions on making the best of this trip would be hugely appreciated!

All the best,
Tonto.
Mazzeltoff for your best choice and decision to get married! Yes, FRA-NRT is a 744 with the usual seating. I did that trip in F coming back to FRA a few weeks ago.
Dunno what to say, it wasn't the best F I had, that may be due to the equipment (prefer Airbus F) and the crew. Wish you two all the best to come and lots of kids!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I would suggest call again and/or monitor the C class availability. BD agents always tell you there is no availability

Also you might be not aware of their "Buy Miles" programm. 20K miles for only 240 GBP. That is not a bargain on the first sight but considering what you can do with 20K miles on BD it is great ^

You should check again and if available cancel the old award !

Or book 2 one-ways going to NRT in F and return in Y. After the honeymoon the real life begins

Cheers and congrats of course,

Se.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Congratulations to your upcoming wedding!

The only form of paid lounge membership I am aware of for Frankfurt is the Priority Pass. This would allow you access to the Admirals Clubs which I think is landside.
Or maybe you can find a friendly FTer who can guest you into the first class terminal?
Firstly congrats to your upcoming wedding! ^

DUF is correct. The only Priority Pass Lounge in T1 is the AAdmirals Club which is landside. But as far as I know you can also buy a day pass for the UA RCC which is located in T1 C. I wouldn't actually spend any money to enter a RCC though.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the good wishes and the help.
For 35k extra points plus just over 200GBP I can upgrade to C. I just need a bunch of Hilton stays to be credited and I'll have enough points. I'll monitor the availability via ANA and hopefully something comes up. I wasn't aware you could buy extra miles too, nice one.
If I have any luck I'll let you know.

All the best

Last edited by tonto_b; Apr 18, 2008 at 3:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.