Wiki Posts
Search

Question on upgrading United codeshare flight on LH Metal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Question on upgrading United codeshare flight on LH Metal

I have a ticket booked in C (FRA-BOM) on a UA codeshare operated by LH. Can I use LH miles or other LH upgrade instruments to upgrade this?

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: black is magic
I never tried it, but think it should work.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by piyush
I have a ticket booked in C (FRA-BOM) on a UA codeshare operated by LH. Can I use LH miles or other LH upgrade instruments to upgrade this?

Thanks!
codeshares cant be upgraded in advance, only on the day of the flight at the airport. but then its no problem to use miles or vouchers...
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Look at the 'how to upgrade on *A carriers' in the *A forum by kiwi flyer. That will help you.

Plus there are a lot of year end LH SWUs issued by UA floating around in CC, which should get you a cheap upgrade
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by Thomas_B
Thank you!

Originally Posted by sentom
codeshares cant be upgraded in advance, only on the day of the flight at the airport. but then its no problem to use miles or vouchers...
Thank you . I guess it does no good having upgrade inventory available right now then!!

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Look at the 'how to upgrade on *A carriers' in the *A forum by kiwi flyer. That will help you.

Plus there are a lot of year end LH SWUs issued by UA floating around in CC, which should get you a cheap upgrade
Excellent resource, thank you! I just posted a thread on CC .
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:17 am

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
Originally Posted by sentom
Is the same true when it's a LH codeshare on UA metal? I'm flying MUC IAD in Z class and when I tried to upgrade using my evouchers, it said that the flight wasn't eligible for upgrade (which I don't understand either). The UA flight seems to be so empty that I'm wondering if they're going to cancel it? (12/27)

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by PolandExpat
Is the same true when it's a LH codeshare on UA metal? I'm flying MUC IAD in Z class and when I tried to upgrade using my evouchers, it said that the flight wasn't eligible for upgrade (which I don't understand either). The UA flight seems to be so empty that I'm wondering if they're going to cancel it? (12/27)

Cheers.
Z class tickets on UA are not upgradeable to F. the general rule of thumb is though, if you want to upgrade in advance, stay away from codeshares.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: LH FTL *S, UA 1P *G
Originally Posted by Thomas_B
Kind of a tricky advice without testing, Isn't it?

I tried to upgrade on UA metal with a LH issued ticket recently - it did not work neither with UA MP nor with LH miles. So an SWU seems to be the only safe option - but must be a paper on LH!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by testero
Kind of a tricky advice without testing, Isn't it?

I tried to upgrade on UA metal with a LH issued ticket recently - it did not work neither with UA MP nor with LH miles. So an SWU seems to be the only safe option - but must be a paper on LH!
Why is it safe? It's standby only as a normal LH flight as well, isn't it?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: LH FTL *S, UA 1P *G
Correct, totti, should read like this:

So an SWU seems to be the only possible option - but must be a paper on LH!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by testero
..So an SWU seems to be the only possible option - but must be a paper on LH!
No.

As outlined by sentom et al. above: codeshares can only be upgraded on a standby basis but instrument accessible readily by the operating carrier. In the OP's case this is LH miles, LH eVouchers, and "SWU printed for use on Lufthansa". Probably also in that order of precedence btw.
So the SWU is the least safe way of the regular ways.

These is of course always the remote chance that you can do a cash upgrade or that an op-up might happen.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
Originally Posted by weero
No.

These is of course always the remote chance that you can do a cash upgrade or that an op-up might happen.
Is this a cash upgrade sensu stricto, or the cash upfare? Does LH actually do cash upgrades? What are the rules&regulations on that?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by jumpingenes
Is this a cash upgrade sensu stricto, or the cash upfare? Does LH actually do cash upgrades? What are the rules&regulations on that?
Sure, LH offers upgrades again cash all the time. You just have to pay the difference between your fare and the new regular fare you want to be booked in + a rebooking fee if you are not on a flex ticket (or short upfare upgrade ).

If you ask for cheap upgrades at the airport, than the answer is no, with fee exceptions at some of the outstations. Have never seen it myself…
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...and you will always have to upgrade to FULL FARE C or F which makes this kind of action prohibitive (at least for me).
Old Nov 25, 2007, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rambuster
...and you will always have to upgrade to FULL FARE C or F which makes this kind of action prohibitive (at least for me).
...unless it is one of those on the spot upgrades for non status customers from the US, Totti mentioned. But since the OP is flying from FRA he only has the options outlined by weero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.