LH increases[/reduces] fuel surcharge

Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:27 am

Well, lower fuel cost is a major contributor to their bottom line currently, so they don't want to disappoint in the next quarters :-).

Don't see much a of discount on the connecting flights (unless some takes a shuttle between the hubs on top), but the lowered surcharge on short haul flights seems like a step in the right way, so connecting flight awards in Europe might become somewhat more viable use of miles.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The other mildly positive thing I can get out of this is that you now max out the number of possible transfers on revenue tickets without the additional YQ penalty on MR itineraries
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The other mildly positive thing I can get out of this is that you now max out the number of possible transfers on revenue tickets without the additional YQ penalty on MR itineraries
Yes, I'm really happy I can add a couple more 125+31 segments for free :-).

It does help though, since married segments rev.mgmt seems to enforce a MUC-FRA in the middle for me somtimes, so saving those 32 EUR or something is nice.

In summary, seems as all the recent M&M moves seem to be decided in Flying Blue HQ.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, since the price of fuel fell, its now an International/Domestic surcharge covering 'costs that the airlines have little or no control over' I would love to have a surcharge like that, wouldn't you??
Yes- and at some point it begins to push people to not want to fly unfortunately. Perhaps that is why traffic grows so much slower than the IATA traffic trends? Customers are nor stupid nor captive- and fuel charges of 500 EUR border on assuming a customer is one of the two.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
The consumer people won't care since the total price is what matters when buying a revenue ticket. The surcharges that apply to awards are minor in the big picture, so they don't lift a finger on that one. The argument there is that if a loyalty/bonus programme is not attractive people will not use it, so no consumer harm done.
maybe that would lift a finger if the discussion turns to refusal to refund YQ on cancelled tickets...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:01 am

Well, since the price of fuel fell, its now an International/Domestic surcharge covering 'costs that the airlines have little or no control over' I would love to have a surcharge like that, wouldn't you??

The consumer people won't care since the total price is what matters when buying a revenue ticket. The surcharges that apply to awards are minor in the big picture, so they don't lift a finger on that one. The argument there is that if a loyalty/bonus programme is not attractive people will not use it, so no consumer harm done.
What is the fiscal situation here? I mean, how much (real) tax do airlines pay on their YQ revenue?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by mmff
What is the fiscal situation here? I mean, how much (real) tax do airlines pay on their YQ revenue?
Its part of their regular revenue and taxed as such.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:04 am

I still don't understand why customer protection agencies are sleeping here. Fuel prices dont change anymore for years now, but the surcharges keep creeping up.

It is outrageous! I have stopped flying LH for this reason, and i have become completely transactional myself.

And, by the way, on my remaining LH flights (old tickets I am using up) I now complain about ANYTHING that goes wrong - malfunctioning entertainment system, dirty seats, lack of glove box next to the screen. And demand for some USD vouchers, which I always get.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
IATA confirms that jet fuel prices dropped almost 16% during the course of the year:

http://www.iata.org/publications/eco...-analysis.aspx

Is there any chance that LH group of companies follow course and drop their fuel surcharges, which is mostly attributed to the increase cost of fuel?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
IATA confirms that jet fuel prices dropped almost 16% during the course of the year:

http://www.iata.org/publications/eco...-analysis.aspx

Is there any chance that LH group of companies follow course and drop their fuel surcharges, which is mostly attributed to the increase cost of fuel?
Not sure if they would...after all they need to replace revenue lost to all of these wonderful strikes....and I want my dividend this year!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Well, there is a reason why they stopped calling it a fuel surcharge earlier this spring
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Well, there is a reason why they stopped calling it a fuel surcharge earlier this spring
when does the time come to call it what it is, "miles & cash"?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bertheike
Thats why the taxes/fees for awardtickets also went up, and will go up again!
I got F award CGN-FRA-BKK-HKT-BKK-FRA-CGN in FEB04 for traveling DEC04 and paid only 34 Euro.
And last Monday I got exactly the same ticket for traveling next week and had to pay 93 Euro + 10 for papertix = 103 Euro !!!!
I thought I was dreaming but then realized the above post is from 2004. Ten years later this would cost a whopping 600 euro at least. 'Award' ticket my ***.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by KLeM
I thought I was dreaming but then realized the above post is from 2004. Ten years later this would cost a whopping 600 euro at least. 'Award' ticket my ***.
There's always the option of just paying the full F fare or take the 600 and buy a nice discount Y fare...

Granted MM has high fees/YQ/etc what ever you want to label it but at the end of the day it's still a decent value proposition considering the value of the seat that you get to sit in.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:22 am

Maybe they could pass the hat on board now that they don't make active Help Alliance announcements anymore (at least not in my last few long hauls).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.