OS                       OU-OS                       EW ---- ---- ---- 0045
 OS                       PS-OS                       EW ---- ---- ---- 0100
 OS                       EW-OS                       KM ---- ---- ---- 0130
 OS                       EW-OS                       PS ---- ---- ---- 0100
Print Wikipost

Connecting in Vienna [VIE]

Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: delta skymiles
My mother and my sister are coming to New York from Athens via VIE. Their flight from Athens is with Aegean (A3) and they connect at VIE to Austrian to JFK. However, they only have 35 min. Do you think they'll have enough time for passport check/transit?
Thank you!
I also paid for insurance through the united website. Flights were mileage plus reward tickets. I noticed at the UA website that the cost for 2nd bag is 40 Euro.
Hopefully this is the correct price!!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Reassurance please...
Can we make this flight on a Sunday, June 2015 , Business Class, with a connection time of 1 hr 15 min?
TK: IST-VIE (1 hr 15 minutes)

Thank you, nice people....
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jetpuffed
Reassurance please...
Can we make this flight on a Sunday, June 2015 , Business Class, with a connection time of 1 hr 15 min?
TK: IST-VIE (1 hr 15 minutes)

Thank you, nice people....
Most definitely.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:44 pm

Glancing through this threads it seems to primarily address tight connections and the odds of making them. I am presented with the opposite. Flying OS and will arrive VIE from IAD around 8 a.m. and connect to the BKK flight leaving around 11 p.m. giving me 15 hours to kill. Can somebody help me out with answers to these questions :

1. What can I expect regarding service IAD-VIE and VIE-BKK?
2. Any idea about the current wine list?
3. How is the lounge at VIE?
I have enough important stuff to read but would enjoy a little sightseeing, maybe a quick stop at the Hotel Sacher.
4. Is there convenient transportation between the airport and downtown?
5. Can I securely store my carry-on at the airport ( that would make sightseeing so much more enjoyable )?
6. I assume I will get all boarding passes at IAD so I can return airside at any time and not have to wait until 3 hrs prior to boarding?
7. Is there "chef-on-board" service on both flights?
8. I grabbed 5A on both flights. Good choice? Seats are all-flat?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Glancing through this threads it seems to primarily address tight connections and the odds of making them. I am presented with the opposite. Flying OS and will arrive VIE from IAD around 8 a.m. and connect to the BKK flight leaving around 11 p.m. giving me 15 hours to kill. Can somebody help me out with answers to these questions :

I have enough important stuff to read but would enjoy a little sightseeing, maybe a quick stop at the Hotel Sacher.
5. Can I securely store my carry-on at the airport ( that would make sightseeing so much more enjoyable )?
6. I assume I will get all boarding passes at IAD so I can return airside at any time and not have to wait until 3 hrs prior to boarding?

Thanks for your help.
1) Food Food Food. I assume you're in C...
2) Good, not great..
3) Acceptable, but nothing you want to stay over an hour..
4) Usually not. Buy a flame thrower and a sub machine gun at the OS store for any chance to make it into the city.. Or just get the next S-Bahn...
5) You could just check it in for your evening departure, free of charge (or check it through..)
6) No. They will point you landside with pointy habsburg sticks on arrival... (yes, you get checked through, including your luggage..)
7) Unless you behave like a certain Uruguay player, I believe he/she will survive both flights, yes.
8) No, I'm, sorry, 5A is actually a Non-Reclining Economy-Class seat, where you'll also only get Economy class service (and miles). Seriously, it's a single window seat, nothing wrong or right about it..
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
1) Food Food Food. I assume you're in C...
2) Good, not great..
3) Acceptable, but nothing you want to stay over an hour..
4) Usually not. Buy a flame thrower and a sub machine gun at the OS store for any chance to make it into the city.. Or just get the next S-Bahn...
5) You could just check it in for your evening departure, free of charge (or check it through..)
6) No. They will point you landside with pointy habsburg sticks on arrival... (yes, you get checked through, including your luggage..)
7) Unless you behave like a certain Uruguay player, I believe he/she will survive both flights, yes.
8) No, I'm, sorry, 5A is actually a Non-Reclining Economy-Class seat, where you'll also only get Economy class service (and miles). Seriously, it's a single window seat, nothing wrong or right about it..
Thanks for the "response". I suggest you don't give up your day job before you commit to a career in comedy. I wish you luck.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Jul 15, 2014 at 6:50 pm
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...xperience.html

Lufthansaflyer just did ORD-VIE vv I'm sure he can help
Decent.
Yes, VIE express or public transport
Yes, 4€/item: http://www.viennaairport.com/en/pass...irport/baggage
Yes, this is Europe
Yes.
See answer 1.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:07 am

[...]

3. How is the lounge at VIE?I have enough important stuff to read but would enjoy a little sightseeing, maybe a quick stop at the Hotel Sacher.
There are two lounges convenient for your purposes: one in the Schengen section (F-Gates), one behind passport control (G-Gates). Both are decent comfort-wise with the Schengen lounge being slightly roomier.
The SEN lounges have a comparatively good food on offer (the F-Gate SEN lounge offers approx. four lounge chairs for sleeping if that's of relevance)..

[...]
The most convenient transportation would be the CAT express train. It departs twice an hour at 06 and 36 min. past the hour and takes 16 min. to Vienna Mitte/Landstr.
From there, St. Stephen's cathedral and Hotel Sacher are a mere 10 - 15 min. walk away.
Find info here:
http://www.cityairporttrain.com/

[...]
There are Baggage Service Centres behind the Check-in areas 1 and 3 that you could use.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...xperience.html

Lufthansaflyer just did ORD-VIE vv I'm sure he can help
Decent.
Yes, VIE express or public transport
Yes, 4€/item: http://www.viennaairport.com/en/pass...irport/baggage
Yes, this is Europe
Yes.
See answer 1.
Originally Posted by sw1x
There are two lounges convenient for your purposes: one in the Schengen section (F-Gates), one behind passport control (G-Gates). Both are decent comfort-wise with the Schengen lounge being slightly roomier.
The SEN lounges have a comparatively good food on offer (the F-Gate SEN lounge offers approx. four lounge chairs for sleeping if that's of relevance)..

The most convenient transportation would be the CAT express train. It departs twice an hour at 06 and 36 min. past the hour and takes 16 min. to Vienna Mitte/Landstr.
From there, St. Stephen's cathedral and Hotel Sacher are a mere 10 - 15 min. walk away.
Find info here:
http://www.cityairporttrain.com/

There are Baggage Service Centres behind the Check-in areas 1 and 3 that you could use.

Thanks both for thorough info, I am well informed now and ready to roll. Made me realize that when one hangs around mostly in Southeast Asia and the islands off NZ, just a day of transit in Europe is so different, but I am looking forward to it. Made the long trek via IAD specifically to experience OS which doesn't open often out of NRT. Next is LX and then I am done with the European *A members. Thanks again.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:37 pm

Flying IAD-VIE (OS) in Coach then on LO (WAW) 45 minute connection. Do I have to go through passport control? I am quite nervous about this connection. Get anyone give me advice for a first timer?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: M&M SEN
Hi ASUDan130,

you will have to clear customs / immigration in Vienna (first port of entry into Schengen area).

IAD-VIE is operated by a 777, with a lot of people potentially connecting off this flight. I'd try to get a seat as much upfront as possible to beat the crowds.

That being said, VIE is a very easy airport to connect (Minimum connecting time 25min) and you should be fine with this connection. Maybe others can comment on immigration lines, as I haven't been on this flight recently.

(In the unlikely event of not making it, there are 5 daily flights to WAW. The next one would leave 3hrs after your booked connection and the airline would take care of your rebooking.)

David
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:28 am

Thank you for the information. Looks like it is actually a 767. It does look like LOT is in the same gate as Austrian so that should make things easy. Also it looks like the IAD-VIE flight most of the time gets in much earlier than the expected arrival time. Adding into the fact it is a winter time flight and the tailwinds generally being stronger it seems like 45 min should be more than enough time. Also would you think LOT would have connecting flight information of its passengers in the unlikely event my flight is running late where they could hold the flight a bit knowing about connecting passengers?

Last edited by ASUDan130; Jul 28, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Unless it's the last flight of the day, LOT probably won't wait for one (or even a few) connecting passengers since they will have another flight a few hours later. but since MCT in VIE is 25 minutes, you shouldn't have a problem if the flight is on time.

By the way, you will just clear passport control in VIE; you will clear customs at the final destination (WAW) which is where you will see your checked luggage for the first time. You may have to go through security again but they have tons of lines in the main hall (including one for short connections) so you should be fine if the LOT flight leaves from an F gate which is the norm. Assuming this is all on one ticket, OS/LO will protect you onto the next flight.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
International to Domestic Connection Time in VIE (BOS-VIE-KLU) on OS?

I am doing an award booking. BOS-VIE-KLU

The connection in Vienna is only 1 hour and 15 minutes before the domestic flight to Klagenfurt.

Is this something UA.com is setting me up for disaster?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by wethereyet
I am doing an award booking. BOS-VIE-KLU

The connection in Vienna is only 1 hour and 15 minutes before the domestic flight to Klagenfurt.

Is this something UA.com is setting me up for disaster?
That's within OS' minimum connect time for VIA. It isn't like changing planes in BRU, where you have immigration and a security re-clear. I would take this itinerary and be reasonably relaxed about it.

Good luck - Jamie

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.