Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH North America: Official Upsell Programm [paid upgrades at US station] [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH North America: Official Upsell Programm [paid upgrades at US station] [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: AA, LH FTL, BA, US, DL, UA, AF, Hilton, Priority Pass, Priority Club
Sorry, we don´t sell upgrades at the gate. We almost never sell upgrades at my station...and we have no facilities for monetary transactions at the gate, so we couldn´t sell them even if we wanted to...all the common-use equipment, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There was a upsell programme ex US stations in place last summer. Basically it was LH attempting to upsell for cash when they were oversold in the back of the bus.

Otherwise LH will only upsell if you are willing to cough up the fare difference.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by neo16287
Sorry, we don´t sell upgrades at the gate. We almost never sell upgrades at my station...and we have no facilities for monetary transactions at the gate, so we couldn´t sell them even if we wanted to...all the common-use equipment, etc.
The letter distributed by NYCEA that I found half on/behind the counter last summer absolutely instructed the stations to be able to accept payments at the gate with a manual credit card form (cant remember how exactly they called it). This belongs to US stations only of course
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, LH FTL, BA, US, DL, UA, AF, Hilton, Priority Pass, Priority Club
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The letter distributed by NYCEA that I found half on/behind the counter last summer absolutely instructed the stations to be able to accept payments at the gate with a manual credit card form (cant remember how exactly they called it). This belongs to US stations only of course
Hmm. If that letter said a manual credit card form was permitted, I don't believe I have seen this letter. Do you have a copy to upload? You've piqued my curiosity...I do not recall seeing this letter, and if we could process upsells at the gate, so much the better! I am at a US station. What station did you locate this letter at? I'm going to guess LAX?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

To keep the upsell/upfare Q&A together, I've merged the two threads.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Hmm. If that letter said a manual credit card form was permitted, I don't believe I have seen this letter. Do you have a copy to upload? You've piqued my curiosity...I do not recall seeing this letter, and if we could process upsells at the gate, so much the better! I am at a US station. What station did you locate this letter at? I'm going to guess LAX?
When I got 500USD upgrade last summer, I went to ticketing counter and paid there with CC. There was nothing manual to it, it was just as any other CC transaction.

Here is a hint to LH for new US based SEN benefit (being US based), if you buy B or Y fare and space is available in C, you can upgrade for 500USD. They would get lot of business from me
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
It was a black/white printout publishing the "upsell programm". It said only n OVB situations, no elites, Y 100$ B,H,Q 500$ if I remember right.

It said explicit that the station should be able to collect the payment at the gate as well. Sorry I lost it at one point otherwise I could send you a scan.

Got it at DFW.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:42 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
I paid $250 for a Y-to-C upgrade on LX about one year ago. C cabin was almost empty, but Y seemed to be overbooked, so as a SEN I probably would have been upgraded to C anyways.

Last edited by GK1998; Apr 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GK1998
I was paid $250 for a Y-to-C upgrade on LX about one year ago. C cabin was almost empty, but Y seemed to be overbooked, so as a SEN I probably would have been upgraded to C anyways.
They even paid you for the upgrade
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
They even paid you for the upgrade
typo, I paid, not was paid
Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GK1998
typo, I paid, not was paid
Too bad
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN★
Pay for upgrade at check-in

A few weeks ago I overheard at the check-in counter next to me in FRA the passenger was asked "Would you like to upgrade to business class for 300 Euros?" (Or 200 Euros, I don't remember exactly.) The passenger immediately said "No". I don't know whether he was checking in for continental flight or intercontinental flight, also don't know whether this was some kind of compensation for whatever or whether there was any special rationale for that offer, but I found that interesting. Never had been offered such an upgrade for a lump sum.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TurboProf
A few weeks ago I overheard at the check-in counter next to me in FRA the passenger was asked "Would you like to upgrade to business class for 300 Euros?" (Or 200 Euros, I don't remember exactly.) The passenger immediately said "No". I don't know whether he was checking in for continental flight or intercontinental flight, also don't know whether this was some kind of compensation for whatever or whether there was any special rationale for that offer, but I found that interesting. Never had been offered such an upgrade for a lump sum.
Sounds like OVB situation.

However 300 EUR are still 450$. Not much considered what C runs for usually but we always talk about bargains... I guess especially today people are pretty much encouraged to keep money together a little bit. Depends on each individuals situation of course.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:39 pm

Moved 11 posts to the Forum lounge. Please stay on topic.

Regards oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
... I have been successful in upgrading from Economy to Biz class at the airport (Philadelphia) by paying a $500 charge.
Was that on LH metal or US metal? The US Airways 'Go Envoy' Y->C upgrade out of PHL to Europe is $500.

Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Interestingly, this $500 upgrade was not available in Frankfurt for the return legs, and the lady there told me that "these are sold only in the USA".
If it was US then the 'Go Envoy' upgrades are now available Europe->US for 500 Euro instead of $US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.