Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH North America: Official Upsell Programm [paid upgrades at US station] [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH North America: Official Upsell Programm [paid upgrades at US station] [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
But that is certainly not an official rule, as I have learned many times by listening to pax in front of me at the gate who asked the flight manager about this and all of the times these pax have been denied.

Also, when once talking to a station manager of a large, US station, I was informed that under no circumstances would they do paid U/G`s.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: LH FTL
Well, I had an elderly couple in front of me being offered to upgrade for $ 500,- pP to fly in C at Miami Intl. (MIA-FRA)

These ****** took the upgrade and when it was my turn they said that Business is now full

So obviously these things happen from time to time.....
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by pschafer
Thanks berlinflyer, I'm sure the issue has been discussed before but I could not find anything on the subject through various searches. Perhaps a sticky somewhere on "how to use search" would be helpful.
The search function is located in every forum on the upper right hand corner. For trickeier wider searches, click on advanced.

The finer points of search and especially the cool powerful IB search beta are discussed in the Technical Issues forum.

To keep the topic together, I've merged with the thread mentioned by skywalkerlax.

pschafer, you might look into converting one of your UA SWUs into a LH paper SWU. They usually work like a charm on LH if there is a seat available in C or F.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
$500 upgrade to Business class?

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere previously - I did search and couldn't find answers.
In some trips last year on Lufthansa (around late summer '07 and fall '07 if my memory serves me right), when I have not been lucky enough to have someone else pay for a Biz class ticket, I have been successful in upgrading from Economy to Biz class at the airport (Philadelphia) by paying a $500 charge. Was this a special promotion going on around that time frame, or is this a standard feature (something like the "Go Envoy" of US Airways?)?
Interestingly, this $500 upgrade was not available in Frankfurt for the return legs, and the lady there told me that "these are sold only in the USA".

Thanks!!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: LH HON
I was offered the same twice (10/07 and 01/08) after asking for a biz class ticket (I had fully refundable coach ticket), but only at ORD going to DUS and FRA respectively. Actually that's a pretty good deal considering the Y fare was about 2k USD + 2 * 500 USD for the upgrade, and a confirmed C/Z would have been in the 6 - 8k neighborhood... The agent however said she would have to check with somebody (station manager) before issuing the ticket. She didn't make it sound like it was an official policy ((probably only if coach is full and biz has seats left)
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
There are a few posts about this but to make it short:

These deals are existent for some seasons, published by LH only to the stations, of course not officially.

It is called the "upsell programm" and has certain conditions that offcially should be met.

Some of them are: Pax is not an elite member (never enforced), flight has to be in OVB situation (regulary enforced), not available for S/W booking class (always enforced).
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PHL_roadwarrior
Interestingly, this $500 upgrade was not available in Frankfurt for the return legs, and the lady there told me that "these are sold only in the USA".

Thanks!!
It is an undocumented feature and as you said, it is only available at US outstations.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: LH Sen, EK silver, Starwood Platinum
TAP on Board Upgrades

I have seen something similar on the TAP oboard magazine last week: they offer an upgrade on board (payable by credit card only), I believe the upgrade fee depends on the flight duration.
Is this new? Has anyone heard of other airlines doing this?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
OS and LX offer cash upgrades on board and on the ground. SK also has a upsell program in place in the US. Search FT and you shall find!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: LH Sen, EK silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
OS and LX offer cash upgrades on board and on the ground. SK also has a upsell program in place in the US. Search FT and you shall find!
Thanks, Will do. Have flown a lot in the past 2 years (mostly LH and LX) but never seen cash upgrades, particularly not on the plane!

I will research further in FT. Many thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
There are a few posts about this but to make it short:

These deals are existent for some seasons, published by LH only to the stations, of course not officially.

It is called the "upsell programm" and has certain conditions that offcially should be met.

Some of them are: Pax is not an elite member (never enforced), flight has to be in OVB situation (regulary enforced), not available for S/W booking class (always enforced).
Thanks skywalkerLAX. Good notes on who gets upgraded and who doesn't. Both my upgrades were while I was star gold; was in a Q or better ticket; however, in both instances, Y was not truly full (perhaps around a dozen seats empty - however, business class was very empty - not more than 6 pax on the 747 in biz class).

Does anyone know if this upsell program is currently on?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
As far I know it depends on what FRA will tell them. I asked LH personal at BOS on what does it depends and they told me that they get instructions during daily preflight briefing. I was offered once on July 4th flying from BOS to FRA. Maybe this is a hint

volta
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
It is much more likely to be offered during the busy US-EU summer Y travel months.

I've never had any lucky C->F, does anyone know if such a program exists?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: UA[1P], EK[Gold], KF[QPP08], TGROP[Gold], LH[Silver], GoldHHonors, GoldSPG
LH buy op-ups at the gate

Hi all, I wonder if LH has policy to buy upgrade at the gate (Y-C) and do they have special fare promo to USA for *A Gold Status??

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:11 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ylesmana
Hi all, I wonder if LH has policy to buy upgrade at the gate (Y-C) and do they have special fare promo to USA for *A Gold Status??

Thanks
No, no upgrade buying at the gate to the US and especially not for *G. A search would bring up more threads about this topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.