Wiki Posts
Search

Excess Baggage Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Excess Baggage Ideas?

My husband is flying business class to Russia(mileage ticket) on Lufthansa in February to attend his grandfather's 100th birthday party. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to take one extra bag without paying the $155 Lufthansa charges. He needs to bring all kinds of supplies (Ensure, adult diapers, medicines, etc.) which they don't sell in Russia so the extra bag would really help tremendously. I would really appreciate any suggestions on this.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: Skyhigh Airlines Platinum for Life

tell your hubby to fly first class and all problems are solved.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The charges for the extra luggage depends upon start and finish points. Where are you starting? I sorta presume USA, since you are quoting $, and 155CDN is cheap for a bag.

What is a mileage ticket?

Is the ticket straight through USA-Russia, or is there a stopover in Europe, and a second ticket?(big problem lower limits)

Where did you get the $155 quote?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

How does it help to fly first class? Is there extra baggage allowed for first class?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

We got the ticket using our United Airlines miles - that is what I was calling a mileage ticket. The $155 is what they quoted me in US $ for one extra bag. The ticket was bought together, but there is a stop and plane change in Frankfurt.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by timetotravel:
Is there extra baggage allowed for first class?</font>
Yes, but first class will cost him much more than the 155$......

Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, LH Silver, Marriott Gold
Try to take as much as carry-on as possible, especially the heavy stuff. They probably won't weigh the carry on. And bring a laptop case as personal item, they can hold quite a bit of stuff. This will give you more weight to put into the checked baggage. And wear as much as you can. (I know somebody who boarded a transatlantic flight wearing ski boots!)

------------------
LH FTL, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:41 pm

Call your local Lufthansa office and ask for the station manager (or his assistant). If you explain the problem to him he might help you and authorizes the extra baggage.

If you are travelling from the U.S. to Europe you are allowed to carry two pieces (each not heavier than 32kg). If you are travelling within Europe you can take 30kg husband is not breaking his yourney longer than 24 hours in Germany the U.S. to Europe rules apply.

[This message has been edited by Tirreg (edited Jan 13, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 5:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tirreg:
Call your local Lufthansa office and ask for the station manager (or his assistant). If you explain the problem to him he might help you and authorizes the extra baggage.
</font>
Great advice here...if you can justify them as medical/basic needs supplies which will be given away in Russia, there's a possibility of an exception being made.

--Grog--

[This message has been edited by Grog (edited Jan 13, 2004).]
Old Jan 14, 2004, 1:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by timetotravel:
the extra bag would really help tremendously.</font>
How much does he intend to take?

If you're coming from the US, he'll be allowed 2 bags of 32kg (70lbs) each. That's a lot of adult diapers, etc, so you may not need to pay any excess luggage (perhaps just get a bigger suitcase!)
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:46 am

If all else fails, you should send the additional piece of lugguage as passenger cargo - it will be on the same flight as you are, but you will need to get it to the airport's cargo terminal a few days before that flight leaves. Thus an additional trip to the airport, but normally it works out way cheaper than excess baggage checked in on the day of travel. Ask for the exact rate before deciding though.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 6:45 am
Original Poster

The biggest problem is the Ensure vitamin milkshakes for seniors which weigh a ton. The last time I went I filled a suitcase with them and barely could carry it. Unfortunately, we both work, so we cannot visit often. Because of this, we try to bring as much as possible of the things that one cannot purchase over there.

One Lufthansa operator told me that if you have Gold status on any allied carrier, that you are allowed to bring one extra bag (32kg) at no extra charge. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what is the fastest way to attain status?

Thank you everyone for the excellent suggestions! I will post as soon as I figure out what we will do.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:12 am

One Lufthansa operator told me that if you have Gold status on any allied carrier, that you are allowed to bring one extra bag (32kg) at no extra charge. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, what is the fastest way to attain status?</font>
Paying the charges for additional baggage should be (much) cheaper than obtaining *G status just to get an additional 32kg for free ?!

Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:12 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
If:
* you start in North America and
* your status is StarGold (Premier Executiv or 1K with UA) and
* your stop in Germany is &lt; 24 hours and
* you check-in your luggage right away in North America through to Moskwa
* (it doesn't matter if the ticket is eco, business or first, award or not)

then your check-in luggage allowance on LH flights is: three pieces (each one not over 32kg).

I hope that you are aware of possible import restrictions (and duties to be paid) at immigration in Russia.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you Rudi for the confirmation on the policy. And yes, are all too aware of the import duties. This is for personal use, not enough to be considered commercial, so it should not be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.