Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt vs. Lufthansa - bye bye promotions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2001, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Sixt vs. Lufthansa - bye bye promotions?

I received a letter today from Sixt, announcing a co-branded American Express card with a bonus program which looks like the normal Amex Membership Rewards program. The letter states:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Noch ein Tip für Meilensammler: Meilen beim Mietwagen bringen wenig. Verzichten Sie auf Ihre Meilen, dann erhalten Sie automatisch ein Upgrade bei Sixt.

Another hint for mile collectors: Miles for rental cars don't add up. If you do not request mileage credit, you will automatically receive an upgrade from Sixt.
</font>
I would read this as a battle cry towards M&M... any thoughts?
Old Dec 15, 2001, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Seems to me that Sixt would rather give an upgrade instead of having to pay for the miles...
Old Dec 15, 2001, 5:37 pm
msn

Accor and the Hunting Federation are also offering these "affinity cards" for (I think) ?18 per year - only thing is, American Express does not make a good comparison to LH Gold, I think.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 8:52 am

There are rumours that sixt has already cancelleded their contract with Miles an More and that all the other rental-companies will follow.
Old Dec 16, 2001, 11:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF-KL Gold, AB Plat
Counting about 50 rentals with Sixt this year (all at airport locations in Germany), I have always except twice got some kind of upgrade anyway - including convertibles mostly on rainy days . So I'll continue to try to get miles as long as possible, pay with my Amex to get MR points and wait what the future brings.

I believe that moving away from M&M won't hurt Sixt too much as most business rentals are based on some kind of company agreement anyway, so renters don't have too much choice (I am quite lucky because my employer hase quite reasonably priced agreements with Sixt, Hertz, Europcar and National).
Old Dec 17, 2001, 7:51 am

I have read in a german business magazine "Capital", that Sixt-busuiness developed extremly bad during the past years
and that tehy are forced to go through several cost-cutting-measures.

They also changed their car-rental-rates, as I found in a Sixt-brochure yesterday:
Only the first 250 km included and any further km´s charged seperatly!!!!

They announce up to 35% discounts, if you pay with the new cobranded sixt-amex-card,
but I think their change in rental-rates is
not a good deal for customers, at least not for me!

For my further rentals it´s from now on: Hertz, Avis or Europcar .

The miles and more programm was never a big deal for me and I´m even not a big fan of the Amex membership rewards programm in Germany, because as someone els posted on an other thread before, the amex exchangerate for Membershiprewards points into frequentflyer miles has developed "backwards" too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.