Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa crew in traditional costumes to set the mood “Costumed flights” from Munich

Lufthansa crew in traditional costumes to set the mood “Costumed flights” from Munich

Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by LH431
I had no crew members with Dirndl or Tracht but the special oktoberfest meal on my flight to DEN out of MUC in F last week.

So, what do you think about that?!
As a second meal it is ok. I also think it is great to have this stuff in the SEN lounges from time to time. No need to overdo it though! (But I guess the foreigners love it)

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
As a second meal it is ok. I also think it is great to have this stuff in the SEN lounges from time to time. No need to overdo it though! (But I guess the foreigners love it)
From what I've heard, the stuff is pretty good and pax like it very much. Unfortunately, this service will end on 07OCT, so I won't be able to sample it on 09OCT.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:37 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by SleepOverGreenland
I really hope, this is MUC only and they don't serve that stuff on my FRA-MIA flight next Friday. I've booked the F cabin and expect real F meal service and no pavillon junk food. I try to avoid entire Bavaria between September and October each year and don't think this affectation should spill over into the rest of Germany.
You don't like the Oktoberfest SOG?
Com'on....the Oktoberfest is ^^.
I think it's quite an important event for Germany and its tourisme! You can see the spill-over effects not only in the rest of Germany, but also in Switzerland and even South East Asia!
So why not in the LH F cabin in condition they also provide the standard meals.. O' zapft is!
After all you are on a holiday trip isn't it ?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:33 am

Programs: LH, Avis, Hyatt, ...
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
You don't like the Oktoberfest SOG?
Com'on....the Oktoberfest is ^^.
I think it's quite an important event for Germany and its tourisme! You can see the spill-over effects not only in the rest of Germany, but also in Switzerland and even South East Asia!
So why not in the LH F cabin in condition they also provide the standard meals.. O' zapft is!
After all you are on a holiday trip isn't it ?
Well, I don't like any mass event I must say. Everybody is free to go, of course. But not me. Aside the masses I don't like that kind of "Bierzelt & Wies'n" behaviour. But that is not limited to the Bavarian style, other events like carnival in Cologne comes to my mind either.

Yes, I am on a holiday trip, so wife and daughter are with me. For them it is only once or twice a year in F and they should receive the standard F service. Period. My wife still has nightmares, when she thinks back to one of her past F experiences with the Austrian cuisine in F last year in October.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Yes, I am on a holiday trip, so wife and daughter are with me. For them it is only once or twice a year in F and they should receive the standard F service. Period.
Well, they won't. But there's still time to cancel or reschedule. @:-)
Since you guys always travel in paid full-fare F (period!) this shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Since you guys always travel in paid full-fare F (period!) this shouldn't be a problem.
On business trips.

This is a leisure trip and so per the LH definition I should use my miles for those, not for business trips (award or upgrade). @:-)
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On business trips.

This is a leisure trip and so per the LH definition I should use my miles for those, not for business trips (award or upgrade). @:-)
Well, still no worries.
TFM's advice: Just order special meals for the Bavaria hating crowd. @:-)
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by flysurfer
Well, still no worries.
TFM's advice: Just order special meals for the Bavaria hating crowd. @:-)
Thanks for the advice.

Just to make it clear: I didn't say I hate Bavarians or the Bavarian crowd, said instead I don't like it which I consider a difference.

Some of my friends are Bavarians, I do some business in Bavaria and I like a nice "Bavarian Biergarten" any day. Just in combination with masses and jodeling crowds I step away if I can. Same for Cologne carnival BTW.

As for the meals, I know we are fine. And the crew will be a nice and friendly FRA crew I guess. ^
Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Some of my friends are Bavarians, I do some business in Bavaria and I like a nice "Bavarian Biergarten" any day. Just in combination with masses and jodeling crowds I step away if I can. Same for Cologne carnival BTW.
During the opening-times of the Octoberfest, Bavaria (especially downtown MUC) is absolutely bearable. The restaurants are quiet and empty, as the whole crowd is concentrating at one single location.

Later in the evening, the U-Bahn becomes a mess with all the dead drunk people coming from that drinking bout. Especially on the escalators it's better not to stand just behind such a guy...

And as I don't like beer and don't like to be drunken, the Octoberfest is completly the wrong place for me (although I could have a free place there inside a tent with the office). Dirndl's are quiet nice, their content too, but the latter only on the way to the Octoberfest...
Old Oct 3, 2008, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Flew out of MUC earlier this week and lounge/ground staff were dressed in the Oktoberfest outfits. Gave a nice flavor, and the lounge food was themed including special blue/white checked napkins. On board, they gave out special handkerchiefs in a box wrapped in a bow to all C class pax. The second service meal from Oktoberfest was terrible though, and the three people around me didnt even touch it.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I think the best thing is that they serve Weißbier. I would love if they did this all year around. At least in F and C. I think it would be great.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: You mean I have to go and count all the cards in my collection?!
Talking they did it this year too

Sorry for chiming in late on this, but I had the pleasure of a business trip to Munich last week and the flight home MUC-YUL was Oktoberfest themed. I didn't know till we boarded the plane. I was in the totally last row of economy. The stewardesses were dressed in dirndls with LH logos on necklaces. The meal was Bavarian: supposedly a choice of pork or fish, but profuse apologies that they ran out of food and I ended up with the vegetarian meal from business class: mushroom stew with dumplings, pretzel, salad, streusel cake, gingerbread heart, wine, cognac afterwards. Hey no complaints from me! For a snack we got a pretzel-shaped sausage on a flatbread, stuffed with mustard. Very interesting (and I figured out how to squeeze out the mustard, which I gag on) but so hot it blistered the roof of my mouth. Also more gingerbread hearts on ribbons handed out afterwards.

This was my first trip using LH and I was very very impressed in both directions. Good service, excellent food, stunning choice of reading material (less English material leaving Germany though), the inflight movie screens at the seats, even postcards! And unlike my colleagues who flew AC, no lost luggage. Now if only I could get some of that sea salt from the Skychefs video...

Only thing I didn't get: why have the themed flight *leaving* Munich, instead of *arriving* in Munich?
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:03 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by rwarren
Only thing I didn't get: why have the themed flight *leaving* Munich, instead of *arriving* in Munich?
I assume that it's a catering issue and that they can not get these typical Bavarian stuff somewhere in Shanghai or Vancouver, at least not at a reasonable price.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
During September and October Economy and Business meals on LH flights ex-Japan feature courses with (Bavarian) sausages in one form or another. I doubt if they serve any Weisswurst though...

Here's a YouTube video of Lufthansa crew and Oktoberfest.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: HON Circle; Marriott Rewards Gold; SPG Gold; HH Diamond; AZ CFP
No.... Almost traditional for the male f/a's but I wanted to see them in the actual lederhosen!!! A bit odd maybe but much more authentic!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.