Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread

Old Apr 11, 05, 3:57 am   #1

Cash Upgrade

Can you do cash upgrades on Lufthansa as you can on United (i.e. if business or first is not full, United will allow premier members to upgrade for cash, usually in the area of $350 or so).

I'm travelling on with an upgradable fare from MUC to ORD.

Much Thanks !
Old Apr 11, 05, 5:12 am   #2

Programs: LH Senator, BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
You can on some routes, but as far as I know not leaving from Germany. CAI-FRA is 150 for example. Last time I did it 2 months ago, I got a very official receipt, which I sent in to M/M when I only got C miles credited. They duly changed my statement to F miles.

And are you sure that United allows cash upgrades ? I tried it last week from SFO-NRT, and while there was plenty of space I was sternly refused. Either upgrade vouchers, or complete recalculation of the whole fare.
Old Apr 11, 05, 6:01 am   #3

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro
And are you sure that United allows cash upgrades ? I tried it last week from SFO-NRT, and while there was plenty of space I was sternly refused. Either upgrade vouchers, or complete recalculation of the whole fare.
I think it depends on where you are. NRT is a relatively big UA hub and they are probably quite strict about applying rules. I can always upgrade for cash on CX from NRT and even cheaper in TPE, but in HKG they always make such a production out of it that I don't even try anymore.
Old Apr 11, 05, 6:29 am   #4

Programs: LH FTL, A-Club Platinum
Just out of interest, where would you ask such a question? Check-in, lounge, gate, on board via the purser?
Old Apr 11, 05, 6:45 am   #5
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanhuk
Just out of interest, where would you ask such a question? Check-in, lounge, gate, on board via the purser?
Check-in in remote destinations. Look for a floor supervisor. If you are in germany, try at the gate or the lounge. The gate agent has the final say. On board they have no authority.
Old Apr 11, 05, 6:02 pm   #6

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Check-in in remote destinations. Look for a floor supervisor. If you are in germany, try at the gate or the lounge. The gate agent has the final say. On board they have no authority.

I always try the ticket desk at remote locations as check-in agents are generally too busy. Seems to work just as well.
At airline home bases I have given up trying: check-in agents send you to the ticket desk and they start clicking away at the computer...end result is some fantastic figure that I just am not prepared to pay.
Old Apr 11, 05, 9:16 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_steve
Can you do cash upgrades ... as you can on United (i.e. if business or first is not full, United will allow premier members to upgrade for cash, usually in the area of $350 or so).

I did such a UA cash upgrade last year. When I flew UA earlier this year and asked about this, in both directions they told me it was a prior limited promotion and no longer available (SFO-FRA-SFO).
Old Apr 12, 05, 1:15 pm   #8

Programs: Mileage Plus
i did CAI-FRA for $150 not 150 a year ago, i don't think it changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro
You can on some routes, but as far as I know not leaving from Germany. CAI-FRA is 150 for example. Last time I did it 2 months ago, I got a very official receipt, which I sent in to M/M when I only got C miles credited. They duly changed my statement to F miles.

Old Apr 12, 05, 3:12 pm   #9

Programs: LH Senator, BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaledim
i did CAI-FRA for $150 not 150 a year ago, i don't think it changed

You are right, so did I last year. In February I offered $150, but they insisted on 150.

Another 30% price rise in CAI !
Old Sep 12, 12, 8:32 am   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
I think it depends on where you are. NRT is a relatively big UA hub and they are probably quite strict about applying rules. I can always upgrade for cash on CX from NRT and even cheaper in TPE, but in HKG they always make such a production out of it that I don't even try anymore.
My experience has been it's generally a function of the quality of the employee.

For the best chance, go to the Business Class lounge and ask there because they have their better people working in those places.

I asked a USAir "Customer Service" agent in PHL one time and she just blew me off. The lazy hag couldn't be bothered. I went to the Business Class lounge and was immediately helped. I made a point to file a complaint about the hag too.

A similar experience in with UA Shanghai: The check in dude said "no seats available" instantly. I knew he was lying because the lazy puke didn't even look.

I asked again of the manager at the boarding gate and there were plenty of seats. She took care of it on the spot. I made a point there too of filing a complaint regarding the lazy check in agent and after returning home I did so again in writing to UA.

A key point to remember: (with UA anyway) the upgrade is per flight segment only so if you are connecting somewhere you need to pay again.
Old Sep 12, 12, 8:55 am   #11

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AA, HYATT DIA, HH SLV, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaledim View Post
i did CAI-FRA for $150 not €150 a year ago, i don't think it changed
Becuse in the past the aircraft on the CAI-FRA-CAI used to be A340 nowadays it is A321 with the NEK cabin: A major upgrade in the cabin hard product quality so they charge you more for that advantage
Old Sep 12, 12, 8:59 am   #12
Senior Moderator; Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Folks, this thread is 7 years old, let it RIP.

Regards Oliver2002
Mod M&M forum

Closed Thread