Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continue M&M now status is attained or switch??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Gold, SQ Gold, Hilton Gold, MarriottPlat
Continue M&M now status is attained or switch??

So I have reached Senator status recently and I am contemplating a "luxury" problem I have. Before year end I am still scheduled to fly quite a bit, mostly with LH and SQ. My dilemma is now as follows; should I continue to credit my M&M account or switch to Krisflyer where I can possibly also achieve gold status. I am already collecting miles in both programs anyway (M&M by flying and Krisflyer through credit card). I guess I only started thinking about this option as M&M does not allow you to carry excess miles into the next year. Any comments/advice appreciated!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:58 am

Since M&M status is valid for two years you don't really have to worry about carrying the balance to next year so much.
I'd explore a couple programs and see which one gives the highest yield. Perhaps switching alliances would give you options to save on ticket prices when LH/SQ are expensive?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
If I was in your shoes, a critical factor in my decision would be the classes I fly. For flights in Y and Y+ I'd certainly want to make use of my newly-attained *G.

Of course, if you're flying C anyway, it's a bit easier to do without status. But you still missing out on stuff like better IRROPS handling when switching to another program where you have no status.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
It is not convenient to credit miles to one FFP and use *G from other FFP.
From other hand - redemption on M&M is bad, and there are better programs.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SPlDER
...redemption on M&M is bad, and there are better programs.
What do you mean by 'redemption on M&M is bad'? It is well known that the use of M&M miles for Economy awards is a waste, except for some seasonally expensive shorthaul flights. But I consider redemption opportunities of M&M miles are very good if you want F or C awards on LH and LX. What they charge as taxes and fees is another matter.
N1003U and jules67500 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
The main disadvantage are YQ and taxes .
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:14 pm

And restrictions (zones and segment limitations).

Liberal stopover policy is nice though.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:38 am

I would definitely credit my miles onto the Lufthansa program. What else use would another *Alliance status bring to you?

Redemption on expensive tickets was always good for me and service during the journey was also good with LH status on the ticket.

It is easy and convenient to use only one program of star alliance and you could maybe get some more benefits from the selections program, depending on how many more miles you will earn. My wife received 2 evouchers and another FTL card with the program last year; I consider this a nice additional benefit for continuing the use of LH program.

Last edited by SebFra; Sep 21, 2017 at 4:40 am Reason: It was only 2 evoucher, I remembered 4 but it seems it was only 2.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by .flyer
If I was in your shoes, a critical factor in my decision would be the classes I fly. For flights in Y and Y+ I'd certainly want to make use of my newly-attained *G.
That status can be enjoyed regardless of where the miles are booked. Just carry the status card. where you have no status.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:10 am

Have you put a value on your M&M and your SQ miles? If not now might be a good time to (attempt to) do so.

What are the earnings like for your upcoming flights for the two programs? Depending on distances and booking classes, and the earnings charts, the number of miles you'd earn might be very different.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I put my miles into three separate groups, I have Plat / SEN / E+ in the following 3.

Flying Blue - All my Skyteam flights. Lots of affordable flights from one of my local airports and I am a big fan of KLM. Their service for me has been second to none.

Lufthansa - This is a new one...the Eurowings benefits are big and I managed to get a status match. This will be my main for my Star Alliance flights. Status lasts for 2 years so...should be ok.

Turkish Airlines - I like this for the upgrade vouchers from Y to J each year. The status is easy to maintain. Status lasts for 2 years so...easy peasy.

In your situation, if I was you...I wouldn't bother with the Singapore Airlines FFP, I would just bank all of my miles into LH.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by Alexbyl
should I continue to credit my M&M account or switch to Krisflyer where I can possibly also achieve gold status.
you're sorted with Gold for 2 years, that's the good part
So now you have to figure out what will be the use of the miles you're earning.

If you have a C or F SQ award in mind, go for Krisflyer
If you want a LX F award, M&M it is.
justing buy junk at Worldshop? M&M again.
And so on...

In case you just to maximize the miles you're getting and decide later, go for more than 2 *A FFP:
http://www.wheretocredit.com/
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That status can be enjoyed regardless of where the miles are booked. Just carry the status card. where you have no status.
It's not that simple to credit to *A program A while enjoying the benefits of B (wait-list priority, seat blocking, priority baggage tags etc.).

You are experienced enough that you should know that. Either you don't enjoy all status benefits or you risk that miles end up in the wrong account.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by .flyer
It's not that simple to credit to *A program A while enjoying the benefits of B (wait-list priority, seat blocking, priority baggage tags etc.).

You are experienced enough that you should know that. Either you don't enjoy all status benefits or you risk that miles end up in the wrong account.
And who said you need "all status benefits"? A status card gets you the benefits that count - lounge, bags, priority.

I have never needed waitlist priority so see that as a pointless "benefit"; I have had a free seat beside me when travelling without status and had seatmates when travelling with status so there's no guarantee; baggage tags can be acquired by showing your status card at check-in.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
baggage tags can be acquired by showing your status card at check-in.
So you go to the check-in desk every time, show the agent the status card, ask him to give you priority baggage tags but NOT to change the frequent flyer number in the booking?

Seems inconvenient to me. Honestly, I don't have the time for that. I certainly wouldn't enjoy the occasional discussions with uncooperative agents, either.

And who said you need "all status benefits"? A status card gets you the benefits that count - lounge, bags, priority.
For me, other benefits do count. Seat blocking very much counts. Waitlist priority and IRROPS handling you obviously don't need everyday. But they can be VERY useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.