Continue M&M now status is attained or switch??

Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you're checking a bag, you are going to have to stop off at a baggage drop-off desk or station anyway [I don't always travel with bags - so again, the "need" for this perk is not always there].

I have never had a problem explaining that I didn't want the number changed, if that was what I wanted.

If only agents were familiar with FQTV/FQTS - or better, passengers could access these fields themselves - then none of these "issues" - such as they are - would arise.

But the fact remains - the system is designed to allow you to collect miles in one programme (FQTV) which may be a different programme from the one from which you derive your status (FQTS).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by .flyer
So you go to the check-in desk every time, show the agent the status card, ask him to give you priority baggage tags but NOT to change the frequent flyer number in the booking?
Pretty much yes. If you're going to the desk anyway, it's really not that much trouble to wipe your card along with ID.

Seems inconvenient to me. Honestly, I don't have the time for that. I certainly wouldn't enjoy the occasional discussions with uncooperative agents, either.
What else am I doing waiting a the counter while a person tags my bags and prints my boarding pass?
Pretend I'm curing cancer from a 5" touchscreen device in my hand?

For me, other benefits do count. Seat blocking very much counts. Waitlist priority and IRROPS handling you obviously don't need everyday. But they can be VERY useful.
'Seat blocking is a myth'.
Never have I ever used the priority waitlist. Irrops or not, usually I simply get a confirmed seat on another flight and don't see crossing my fingers they're going to find a seat for me on a full flight. This way I can actually plan ahead and stay productive rather then relying on luck.

Nobody said it's an effortless process. The point is that the effort can be worth in.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that I have status with LH anymore, but being able to flash a status card usually allows you to jump the queue and/or access the helpdesk in the lounge [where available] and/or bypass the phone queues. Regardless of whether it's the FFP number in the booking or not.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
So you go to the check-in desk every time, show the agent the status card, ask him to give you priority baggage tags but NOT to change the frequent flyer number in the booking?
Just getting the priority tags doesn't often make any difference. At many airports they nowadays print "PRIORITY" on the tag itself and the information about priority bag is also included in the barcode. IME asking for the priority tags but not changing frequent flier number results in the bags being tagged as regular bags with priority stickers that baggage sorting machines can't read.

On many airlines having status on boarding passes gives you a higher change of op-up than no status. Of course this happens rarely but I would still count it as a benefit of having higher status frequent flyer number in the booking.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But the fact remains - the system is designed to allow you to collect miles in one programme (FQTV) which may be a different programme from the one from which you derive your status (FQTS).
No, see this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, see this thread.
That just confirms what I said - that the system was designed specifically with this in mind. I already lamented above that it's often not used anymore. But the workaround is to display your status card to obtain a subset of the status perks - otherwise, you get NONE of them!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.