Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Lufthansa the most overrated airline out there?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by SPlDER
For LH A320 neo "average space" is a joke. 28" is probably the worst pitch on the market.
It would be but the pitch is 30".
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The classic 'pitch' concept is irrelevant with slimline seats anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
For LH A320 neo "average space" is a joke. 28" is probably the worst pitch on the market.
Have you been on an A320neo or just heard about it? The terrible pitch on the A320neo is a bit of a myth.

I was on one twice last week and although I am 6'4", it was not worse than on most other intra-European flights on any airline. It's not exactly comfortable, but much better than some of the old non-slimline seats on some budget carriers.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The classic 'pitch' concept is irrelevant with slimline seats anyway.
Can you elaborate, please.

Why would the concept be irrelevant? It seems highly relevant to me as long as I have an apples-to-apples comparison (e.g., comparing one slim-line seat with another slim-line seat).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: FB Gold
I haven't been on the A320neo yet, but I know when I sit in their intra-Europe flights with the slimline seats in the NEK (Neue europa kabine) on their A321s, I can't wait to get off. I'm a slender guy but after an hour it gets unbearable- zero cushioning.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by .flyer
Can you elaborate, please.

Why would the concept be irrelevant? It seems highly relevant to me as long as I have an apples-to-apples comparison (e.g., comparing one slim-line seat with another slim-line seat).
'Pitch' as it used to be was the distance between the same point between two rows. Comparing the LH slimline NEK seat that has a comparatively thin seat back and shorter seating area to a regular seat with a thick seat back and longer seating area is apples to oranges. Once Ryanair has completed the retrofit of their fleet with the new Recaro seat launched with the 738 deliveries in 2016 you may have a point. I've had the 'pleasure' flying EI with a old seat this February which had a higher pitch than the LH seat has since 2010 kept hurting my knee everytime the person in front did anything
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Have you been on an A320neo or just heard about it? The terrible pitch on the A320neo is a bit of a myth.

I was on one twice last week and although I am 6'4", it was not worse than on most other intra-European flights on any airline. It's not exactly comfortable, but much better than some of the old non-slimline seats on some budget carriers.
I was ( MUC-CDG ), but only on exit row. My friends seating on last row said that it was extremely tight, and LH will be their last choice carrier for next flights.

AFAIK - the average pitch is 29" , but the first rows have acceptable pitch while last rows are very bad.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:06 pm

While the flight experience itself is definitely not as amazing as the reputation makes you expect it, I think overall there is still a clear difference. So far I've only rarely had the issue of almost missing a connecting flight due to an incoming delay, but the one time I had it with Lufthansa was great, when they picked me up right after disembarking the plane (incoming flight was a regional plane with a bus gate) and directly me to the gate of my connecting flight. A tight connection with a delay - and one of the most convenient transfers I've ever had.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Arctifox
While the flight experience itself is definitely not as amazing as the reputation makes you expect it, I think overall there is still a clear difference. So far I've only rarely had the issue of almost missing a connecting flight due to an incoming delay, but the one time I had it with Lufthansa was great, when they picked me up right after disembarking the plane (incoming flight was a regional plane with a bus gate) and directly me to the gate of my connecting flight. A tight connection with a delay - and one of the most convenient transfers I've ever had.
Experiences like these can make the difference and maybe illustrate that rated/overrated does not only depend on the seat pitch in a fraction of their short-/medium-haul aircraft in economy.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:29 pm

I was ( MUC-CDG ), but only on exit row. My friends seating on last row said that it was extremely tight, and LH will be their last choice carrier for next flights.

AFAIK - the average pitch is 29" , but the first rows have acceptable pitch while last rows are very bad.
I have never been in the last two rows, but generally find their short-haul product bearable for up 1.5-2 hours.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I've taken 250 LH flights in the last 14 years (65-70% shorthaul, 30-35% longhaul) and experienced two cancellations (both weather related) and one missed connection. There may have been delays of up to 30 minutes but nothing to cause misconnects or inconvenience. I think this is quite a good record.

As I'm not tall the seat pitch on shorthaul flights is not a problem but I prefer a window seat and want to be able to get up without disturbing seat neighbours. Even when on Economy Light fare they usually assign me to an exit row window seat automatically. I was on SN shorthaul flights recently and the seat next to me was kept free in both directions. On the way back the flight was almost full and row 1 (Flex&Fast) was 3/6, rows 2 and 3 (Light&Relax - allows seat selection) were 11/12 and row 4 (the first row of Check&Go) where I was seated was 4/6. Rows 5 was 6/6 and as far as I could see there weren't many empty seats.

I'm not sure what the OP is looking for from FFPs but these hidden perks make it worthwhile to keep status with the airlines I fly most often.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 23, 2017 at 1:36 pm Reason: added 'weather related'
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
and the OP said they've been flying inter-Europe flights on LH. I don't think any airline has an inter Europe service that's worth writing home about.
Turkish Airlines?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:19 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Turkish Airlines?
I tend to disagree. While the service levels in airline industry have deteriorated significantly over the last decades, I still feel that LH provides a service level that other airlines can't or won't meet.

IMHO, TK is a mixed bag. Food is normally great, service can be hit and miss (more miss in my experience). Seat pitch in Y is what's driving me away from them (and the zoo called IST with the outsourced ground staff that cannot even change a seat assignment for you or charge you change fees twice and stuff like that).
worldclubber likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Turkish Airlines?
There are very few "intra-Europe" flights that make IST a convenient location for changing planes. And, in addition to what was said in the post before mine, I also don't find the safety record of TK convincing.
1flyer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikethe1
So my point here - Do you think that Lufthansa is actually the most overrated airline out there?
Lufthansa's irreg handling is the best in the world by far. For those of us who fly to be somewhere in time, Lufthansa is a safe choice. LH's F belongs to the best of the word as well. C is good, if you fly together with someone else, but offers no privacy for single passengers.

Originally Posted by mikethe1
FFP that compared to average US legacy is actually no so good
I don't know, what you mean. Miles&more is a very good FFP. Even if I leave out my miles from flying, I earn i.e . a return flight FRA-HND-FRA in F for 2 persons every year, just from credit card, shopping, hotels, car rentals. And HON or SEN belongs to the most attractive and most valuable airline status in the world too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.