Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No rerouting for Economy Classic fare [from TXL-MUC to TXL-FCO-MUC]?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
How would a ticket exchange be considered a refund? LH would not be refunding any money to me or my credit card. If anything, they would be collecting additional airfare from me. Apparently, US and European carriers have different definitions for what counts as a change vs an exchange vs a refund.

Perhaps the booking page should state "limited changes allowed with restrictions, €70 fee for change, see fare rules".

Last edited by jsnearline; Aug 20, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Umm, no. Under penalties it clearly says non refundable, but changes allowed against a fee.
I don't understand this comment. Are you saying the ticket value can be applied to a new itinerary, subject to payment of the 70e change fee?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't understand this comment. Are you saying the ticket value can be applied to a new itinerary, subject to payment of the 70e change fee?
That's how it usually works with US Airlines unlike EU Airlines.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: LH HON
You totally missed my point (and OP's). There is no express prohibition on applying the ticket value to a new itinerary. There is apparently an implied prohibition based on the absence of a provision expressly allowing such a change, but you'd have to read literally hundreds of lines of block print to confirm that.

Combine the absence of an express prohibition on changing the itinerary, with language which expressly allows rerouting and you have OP very reasonably concluding he could do what he wants to do.
I got your point very well. Still. pretty much all classic fares have a condition like "LH SAME FARE CLASS FARES GOVERNED BY SAME RULE IS USED" and the new ticket is just not even close to the existing rules.

So while it may be inconvenient for the customer to read through all those rules, he still accepts them when booking. And I guess you can tell by the overall responses that most others agree, that this is OK, even if that's just because we're used to it
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by daumueller
And I guess you can tell by the overall responses that most others agree, that this is OK, even if that's just because we're used to it
If you were just reading the fare rules cold, I'm fairly certain you would not reach that conclusion. I'm a lawyer and I know how to read fare rules, and they really do not tell me you cannot pay a change fee and apply the ticket value to a new itinerary.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No, it means the originally booked trip from A to B cannot be cancelled and refunded, but changed (date/time/routing as per the routing table) for a fee.
fppmongo likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thinking that you may apply the ticket value (of an otherwise non-refundable ticket) against a new and totally different itinerary (even with payment of the change fee) is utter nonsense.

In reality, you are trying to make a non-refundable ticket, refundable.

Last edited by SK AAR; Aug 21, 2017 at 3:09 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Not quite. Refundable allows you to say adios Lufthansa, applying the value you're still tied to them.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Thinking that you may apply the ticket value (of an otherwise non-refundable ticket) against a new and totally different itinerary (even with payment of the change fee) is utter nonsense.

Here in the US, you can get tickets that are sold as nonrefundable but the value of which (minus any change fee) can be applied towards purchase of a new ticket. So, to say this concept is utter nonsense goes a bit too far I think. A refundable ticket in the US is generally understood as one that allows you to get a cash refund. In my case, I am not seeking a cash refund, so I would not view this as changing a nonrefundable ticket to a refundable one.

As I said in my previous post, it's a matter of how these terms are defined and interpreted in North America vs Europe.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
US BE fares also have super hard clauses:

Code:
FQN76*PE
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  XF MAY APPLY
                                       ZP EXCLUDED
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
21AUG17**21AUG17/UA HOUNYC/NSP
LN FARE BASIS    USD     PEN      DATES     DAYS AP  MIN MAX RTG
76+KEA2AKBN      253.02R NRF   -      -   +  -   21+   +  -    1
FCL: KEA2AKBN  TRF:  11 RULE: BAK2 BK:  N*
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: ERU-ECONOMY RT UNBUNDLED
FARE FAMILY            : ECOBASIC
PE.PENALTIES
FOR ROUND TRIP ECONOMY RT UNBUNDLED FARES

CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
         NOTE -
          -------
          NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
          OF A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET.
          -------
                                                  PAGE  1/ 2

>

m

NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
          -------
                                                  PAGE  2/ 2

>

fqn66*pe

FQN66*PE
                                       ZP EXCLUDED
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
66+TEA1AKEN      359.07R NRF   -      -   +  -   10+   +  -    1
FCL: TEA1AKEN  TRF:  11 RULE: ECK2 BK:  T
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: XPN-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREF
FARE FAMILY            : ECONOMY
PE.PENALTIES
FOR ROUND TRIP FARES

CANCELLATIONS

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW/
      REFUND.
    WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE.
         NOTE -
          --
               TAX/CHARGE - US/ZP/XF - WILL NOT BE
                                                  PAGE  1/18

>

m

REFUNDED ON NON-REFUNDABLE FARE TICKETS
          --
          A.  WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET -
          --
          A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE APPLIED TOWARD THE
          PURCHASE OF MOST DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL FARES/
          EXCLUSIONS APPLY / TICKET PRICED AT -CURRENT-
          FARE LEVELS FOLLOWING ALL FARE RULE PROVISIONS.
          --
          ORIGINAL RESERVATIONS OF WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST
          BE CANCELLED PRIOR TO ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FLIGHT
          OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
          --
          WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST BE EXCHANGED NO LATER
          THAN ONE YEAR / 365 DAYS / OF THE ORIGINAL TICKET
          ISSUE DATE OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
          --
          THE NON REFUNDABLE VALUE OF THE UNUSED TICKET
          MUST BE CARRIED FORWARD IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF
          THE NEW TICKET AND DESIGNATED AS NON REFUNDABLE.
          --
                                                  PAGE  2/18

>

m

AN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE FEE EQUAL TO THE CHANGE                     
          FEE WILL BE ASSESSED PER TRANSACTION.                                 
          RESIDUAL VALUE / IF ANY / WILL BE RETURNED IN THE                     
          FORM OF A NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL                     
          ON UNITED AIRLINES.                                                   
          TRAVEL AGENCY MAY ISSUE A NON-REFUNDABLE MCO/EMD                      
          VALID FOR TRAVEL ON UNITED AIRLINES.                                  
          --                                                                    
          PASSENGERS TRAVELING ON COMPANION FARES MUST                          
          PRESENT ALL TICKETS AT THE SAME TIME.                                 
          --                                                                    
          B.  BOOKING CODE CHANGE PERMITTED  -                                  
          --                                                                    
          WHEN A NEW FARE IS INTRODUCED INTO THE MARKET OR                      
          A CURRENT FARE IS REDUCED OR BECOMES AVAILABLE /                      
          THE TICKETED PASSENGER MAY QUALIFY FOR ONE OF                         
          THE ABOVE OPTIONS.                                                    
          ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE MUST BE MET                            
          BEFORE DEPARTURE.                                                     
          --                                                                    
          NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION/DATES/FLIGHTS.                        
                                                  PAGE  3/18
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
US BE fares also have super hard clauses:

Code:
FQN76*PE
                                       ZP EXCLUDED
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
76+KEA2AKBN      253.02R NRF   -      -   +  -   21+   +  -    1
FCL: KEA2AKBN  TRF:  11 RULE: BAK2 BK:  N*
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: ERU-ECONOMY RT UNBUNDLED
FARE FAMILY            : ECOBASIC
PE.PENALTIES
FOR ROUND TRIP ECONOMY RT UNBUNDLED FARES

CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
         NOTE -
          -------
          NO UNUSED TICKET MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
          -------
                                                  PAGE  1/ 2

>

m

NO RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE USED TOWARD THE PURCHASE
          -------
                                                  PAGE  2/ 2

>

fqn66*pe

FQN66*PE
                                       ZP EXCLUDED
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
66+TEA1AKEN      359.07R NRF   -      -   +  -   10+   +  -    1
FCL: TEA1AKEN  TRF:  11 RULE: ECK2 BK:  T
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: XPN-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREF
FARE FAMILY            : ECONOMY
PE.PENALTIES
FOR ROUND TRIP FARES

CANCELLATIONS

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW/
      REFUND.
    WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE.
         NOTE -
          --
               TAX/CHARGE - US/ZP/XF - WILL NOT BE
                                                  PAGE  1/18

>

m

REFUNDED ON NON-REFUNDABLE FARE TICKETS
          --
          A.  WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET -
          --
          A WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE APPLIED TOWARD THE
          PURCHASE OF MOST DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL FARES/
          EXCLUSIONS APPLY / TICKET PRICED AT -CURRENT-
          FARE LEVELS FOLLOWING ALL FARE RULE PROVISIONS.
          --
          ORIGINAL RESERVATIONS OF WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST
          BE CANCELLED PRIOR TO ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED FLIGHT
          OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
          --
          WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MUST BE EXCHANGED NO LATER
          THAN ONE YEAR / 365 DAYS / OF THE ORIGINAL TICKET
          ISSUE DATE OR TICKET HAS NO VALUE.
          --
          THE NON REFUNDABLE VALUE OF THE UNUSED TICKET
          MUST BE CARRIED FORWARD IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF
          THE NEW TICKET AND DESIGNATED AS NON REFUNDABLE.
          --
                                                  PAGE  2/18

>

m

AN ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICE FEE EQUAL TO THE CHANGE                     
          FEE WILL BE ASSESSED PER TRANSACTION.                                 
          RESIDUAL VALUE / IF ANY / WILL BE RETURNED IN THE                     
          FORM OF A NON-REFUNDABLE VOUCHER VALID FOR TRAVEL                     
          ON UNITED AIRLINES.                                                   
          TRAVEL AGENCY MAY ISSUE A NON-REFUNDABLE MCO/EMD                      
          VALID FOR TRAVEL ON UNITED AIRLINES.                                  
          --                                                                    
          PASSENGERS TRAVELING ON COMPANION FARES MUST                          
          PRESENT ALL TICKETS AT THE SAME TIME.                                 
          --                                                                    
          B.  BOOKING CODE CHANGE PERMITTED  -                                  
          --                                                                    
          WHEN A NEW FARE IS INTRODUCED INTO THE MARKET OR                      
          A CURRENT FARE IS REDUCED OR BECOMES AVAILABLE /                      
          THE TICKETED PASSENGER MAY QUALIFY FOR ONE OF                         
          THE ABOVE OPTIONS.                                                    
          ALL PROVISIONS OF THE NEW FARE MUST BE MET                            
          BEFORE DEPARTURE.                                                     
          --                                                                    
          NO CHANGE TO ORIGIN/DESTINATION/DATES/FLIGHTS.                        
                                                  PAGE  3/18
True, and I would expect similar rules from an LH Economy Light fare, which is why I chose the Economy Classic fare that clearly stated changes permitted.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You totally missed my point (and OP's). There is no express prohibition on applying the ticket value to a new itinerary. There is apparently an implied prohibition based on the absence of a provision expressly allowing such a change, but you'd have to read literally hundreds of lines of block print to confirm that.

Combine the absence of an express prohibition on changing the itinerary, with language which expressly allows rerouting and you have OP very reasonably concluding he could do what he wants to do.

In my country there is a thing called law, a thing called contract and another thing called common sense. And different from the US they often match. A non refundable ticket is non refundable. There is no principle of "applying the ticket value to a new itinerary". Just because you like it, it is not part of the contract.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by jsnearline
True, and I would expect similar rules from an LH Economy Light fare, which is why I chose the Economy Classic fare that clearly stated changes permitted.
A change implies a different time or date, maybe even a different routing if there are multiple routing possibilities mentioned in the routing table. Anything else is not defined as a change. The concept of applying a residual ticket value towards a new ticket is (at least in my experince) an unknown concept for intra-european routings and European airlines.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curt
The concept of applying a residual ticket value towards a new ticket is (at least in my experince) an unknown concept for intra-european routings and European airlines.
So I am learning. 😩
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by curt
A change implies a different time or date, maybe even a different routing if there are multiple routing possibilities mentioned in the routing table. Anything else is not defined as a change. The concept of applying a residual ticket value towards a new ticket is (at least in my experince) an unknown concept for intra-european routings and European airlines.
Ryanair and Easyjet allows you to change any ticket to a new route, paying the change fee and the fare difference.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking/making-a-change
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ate-name-route

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.