Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming Miles & More Miles on United Metal Across the Altantic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Redeeming Miles & More Miles on United Metal Across the Altantic

Is this possible without incurring Lufthansa style YQ charges?

I have a number of LH miles and UA has availability for the transatlantic flights on its metal. Can I call the Miles & More center and feed them the flight numbers to avoid the fuel surcharge?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why don't you give it a try and call M&M?

My general impression is that if the carrier (in your case UA) does not include YQ in the fees, taxes, charges etc to be paid when making a booking with UA, then LH M&M will not charge YQ. That assume this from a recent M&M award booking on TG metal (TG stopped charging YQ for award tickets recently) - no YQ was payable to M&M ^
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by michaelr
Is this possible without incurring Lufthansa style YQ charges?

I have a number of LH miles and UA has availability for the transatlantic flights on its metal. Can I call the Miles & More center and feed them the flight numbers to avoid the fuel surcharge?
Yes. Just call M&M.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA has availability for the transatlantic flights on its metal.
That's moderately surprising.

There should not be any fuel surcharges for a UA operated flight.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:15 am

UA does charge YQ across the Atlantic. Not sure if it's as bad as LH ex-US though (on revenue tickets). Would be surprised if LH didn't reach for that money when redeeming miles.

If you want to pay less surcharges fly LOT.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I called M&M today and indeed even if the leg ORD-FRA over the Atlantic is operated by UA, LH does charge its wicked fees. For a one way ECON ticket OMA-ORD-FRA-HAJ, United wants 30k miles and $42. LH wants 30k miles and $189. However, when the agent priced the ticket, it priced out at 25k miles. Better yet when the system went to actually charge the miles, it only charged 17k from my account.

My understanding was that only round trips to Europe originating from the US price out at 50k. It looks like I lucked out and the pricing engine applied the discount to a one way ticket. In addition it seems that the 25% child discount was applied, i.e. 7500 resulting in 17,500. The engine always rounds down so it came out as 17,000 M&M.

If this holds up, then for once M&M pricing was not at all terrible.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

If you're residing in the US then the US-Europe awards are indeed 50k RT, so your calculations are spot on. Did you actually book it for a child to get that additional 25% discount?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
If you're residing in the US then the US-Europe awards are indeed 50k RT, so your calculations are spot on. Did you actually book it for a child to get that additional 25% discount?
I am residing in the US but thought it had to be a round trip for the discount to apply. It's great news if the discount legitimately applies to one-way tickets as well. I need to book those a lot for my family and it makes LH a but more reasonable to use for this purpose.

The trip was booked for my father who is 74. The child discount should also not have applied because 2 out of the three legs are on UA metal. My understanding was that it only applies if all legs are on LH-owned metal such as LH or Swiss, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:31 am

Do check the ticket receipt, if it's for a CHD then someone at checking might start causing trouble.

Check the LOT offering next time perhaps - should save you another $100 in fees with the same mileage cost. I don't think they fly to HAJ though.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lack
Do check the ticket receipt, if it's for a CHD then someone at checking might start causing trouble.

Check the LOT offering next time perhaps - should save you another $100 in fees with the same mileage cost. I don't think they fly to HAJ though.
I actually made a mistake and confused this booking with one I previously made. M&M did properly deduct 25,000 miles for the flight.

I did know about LOT but I need to go to HAJ. I should check if it is possible to fly to Berlin via LOT. That would be an option.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:53 pm

I did know about LOT but I need to go to HAJ. I should check if it is possible to fly to Berlin via LOT. That would be an option.
LOT doesn't fly to Berlin (yet? AB imploding might open up that). DUS/HAM/STR and the usual suspects FRA/MUC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.