Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining LH/AA and how to spend the time in MIA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Interlining LH/AA and how to spend the time in MIA?

Hey Guys,
I will be flying FRA-MIA-PUJ in January. FRA-MIA-FRA will be on LH, MIA-PUJ-MIA will be on AA. I believe I saw, that LH and AA have an interline agreement, but also heard that AA does not check bags through on international flights with other airlines(even Oneworld). How is the policy here on the outbound and inbound? Will i be able to check my bags through on either way or none? If not, can I check-in for the flight MIA-FRA the whole day or only 2-3 hours in advance?
My second question would be on the way back I am having a 7 hour layover in MIA. What should I do in that time? I heard there is a good spotting place at RWY 9. How to get there? Only by car? Anything else, like a bus sightseeing tour of Miami?

Thanks for your help!

EDDM_Flyer
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll have to collect your bags in MIA in both directions anyways so the interline doesn't matter all that much except maybe on bag fees.

In 7 hours you could head to the beach (though if coming from PUJ probably enough of that already) or Little Havana or elsewhere in town. I would try to not spend that much time at MIA.

Miami pretty much requires a car in one form or another. Uber/Lyft both work well and are affordable if staying in the areas I described above.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
...My second question would be on the way back I am having a 7 hour layover in MIA. What should I do in that time? ...
Well, I've once spent ~2 hours at immigration at MIA*. If this is the case, and add to that customs and the time to check your luggage with LH and go through security, the 7 hours are easily reduced to ~ three to four. I would personally try to find a bar/tavern with a good view on the tarmac and spend my time there (unless, of course, you can access the lounge).

* You may be unaware of the fact that when you connect to/from abroad in a US airport you go through a regular international arrival procedure (immigration, customs). And don't forget, you'll need a valid visa or ESTA for that.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, I've once spent ~2 hours at immigration at MIA*. If this is the case, and add to that customs and the time to check your luggage with LH and go through security, the 7 hours are easily reduced to ~ three to four. I would personally try to find a bar/tavern with a good view on the tarmac and spend my time there (unless, of course, you can access the lounge).

* You may be unaware of the fact that when you connect to/from abroad in a US airport you go through a regular international arrival procedure (immigration, customs). And don't forget, you'll need a valid visa or ESTA for that.
Thanks for your advice! Yeah, I know that MIA is a bitc# at immigration. But in my experience itīs only bad if you are arriving in the afternoon or evening. I will be arriving at 10:30am and the traffic around that time is pretty low in international arrivals. ESTA and stuff sorted out. I am a german citizen, so I donīt need a visa. Well, I could spend time in the United First Lounge, but I heard itīs pretty underwhelming. What I wanted to try is to find the location at Runway 9 to do some plane spotting. If you can get there without a car.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Actually, MIA has immigration kiosks, which OP is eligible to use if he/she has ESTA. My last experience through immigration in the AA terminal took 5 minutes at 5 pm with GE. The OP does not have GE, but I can't imagine it taking hours using the kiosk unless pulled aside for secondary inspection, especially at that time of day.

With seven hours, I can't explain enough how much I disagree with the poster who suggests staying at MIA. It's a very very boring airport. In even half that time you will be bored. Meanwhile, it's easy enough to get into Miami and have a nice lunch at little Havana or check out the beaches.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Another(maybe silly) question. Is it still allowed as a LH First Passenger to bring a guest to the First Class Terminal? And when I arrive from MIA in FRA and connecting to MUC, will we be picked up at the plane by a car and brought to the First Class Terminal(they are having their own immigration afaik) or do we have to go through the Terminal?

Thanks in advance

EDDMflyer
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'll ask you a separate question...is this on separate tickets, and are you aware of the consequences of not presenting yourself for the AA flight.

On the topic of what to do, I also suggest getting out of the airport. Head to the beach.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'll ask you a separate question...is this on separate tickets, and are you aware of the consequences of not presenting yourself for the AA flight.

It is on seperate tickets and yes I know the consequences. I am a Travel Agent myself and booked many of those(and even closer) connections over the years. But to be on the safe side we are having an insurance with the tickets called a "Ticket Safe". If we donīt make the connection because any of the flights are delayed, we will be reimbursed for a maximum of 1500 EUR per Person.

On the topic of what to do, I also suggest getting out of the airport. Head to the beach.
I am aware of the consequences if we miss the AA flight. But therefor we are having an insurance called "Ticket Safe". This insurance reimburses us with 1500 EUR per person if we miss because of any delayed flights. Also as a Travel Agent I booked thousands of those(or closer) connections. Even with only 4 hours on the outbound, we have plenty of time, as we can use the Kiosk for immigration. I heard it only takes about 5 minutes. So no worries.
Yeah, I figured we would take the 150 to Miami Beach and go for a lunch in Little Havanna as well. Letīs just hope our towels get dry until we are back at the airport or the mold will spread
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by EDDMflyer
Another(maybe silly) question. Is it still allowed as a LH First Passenger to bring a guest to the First Class Terminal? And when I arrive from MIA in FRA and connecting to MUC, will we be picked up at the plane by a car and brought to the First Class Terminal(they are having their own immigration afaik) or do we have to go through the Terminal?

Thanks in advance

EDDMflyer
suggest you catch up with the FCL/FCT threads, but in short:

No car if arriving at a gate. You have to leave the terminal for the FCT and go through security check again there. You can bring a guest into the FCT if he/she is on the same flight out. You will both be driven to the MUC flight from the FCT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.