Wiki Posts
Search

OS B777 vs SK A330 business class?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase, United
OS B777 vs SK A330 business class?

Does anyone see anything to choose between SAS a330 and Austrian 777 business class as a way of getting from lax to txl, assuming price in miles and scheduling is all a wash? Anything to choose reliability wise or ease of connection? Or all good? Seats look like both varieties of vantage? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Likelihood each will retain and honor my seat reservation? Likelihood of not getting involuntary downgrade?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:33 pm

I've been told OS has better coffee.

Originally Posted by zoechow
Likelihood each will retain and honor my seat reservation? Likelihood of not getting involuntary downgrade?
Pretty low/high I reckon if you need to ask.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:53 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
On OS your seat assignment will be honored. If u travel alone, check if throne seats are still available and grab one. Also visit SK forum as I recall a thread about random seat assignment changes (but I do not have a personal experience with SK long haul).
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OS will have better food.

SK has a better seat.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:15 am

I would choose OS if I wanted to enjoy the food and service. If I wanted to maximize sleeping time, I would choose SK.

This is of course under the assumption that both itineraries are similar in terms of travel times, trip duration and cost.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:25 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The hard product on SK is really good, but the soft product ranges from OK to bad, depending on taste, FAs and the moon cycle.
If I care about sleep, I would choose SK. Otherwise OS.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SK also has the bad habit of substituting LN-RKP with LAN interior on certain routes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-toulouse.html
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

This may be a contrarian view, but I find SK's hard product to be mediocre in business - at least, for sleeping. The seat is incredibly hard, and the light padding doesn't help that much. I would pick LH, LX, OS, SG, and TK business all over SK from a sleeping perspective (but just my two cents).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
Admitting that I definitely like OS. Only the IFE has a limited selection. And I prefer VIE above CPH.
The throne seats on the OS 777 I don't like that much, foot space is limited as it's a long narrow tunnel below the seats in front. I prefer aisle seats D or G: direct aisle access for both (no climbing above each other). Downside: no window, but on a night flight I don't care.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quaxpilot
Admitting that I definitely like OS. Only the IFE has a limited selection. And I prefer VIE above CPH.
The throne seats on the OS 777 I don't like that much, foot space is limited as it's a long narrow tunnel below the seats in front. I prefer aisle seats D or G: direct aisle access for both (no climbing above each other). Downside: no window, but on a night flight I don't care.
Thanks for this. The choice is not between VIE and CPH but VIE and ARN. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardworking21
This may be a contrarian view, but I find SK's hard product to be mediocre in business - at least, for sleeping. The seat is incredibly hard, and the light padding doesn't help that much. I would pick LH, LX, OS, SG, and TK business all over SK from a sleeping perspective (but just my two cents).
Interesting. It looks like SAS's seat is a later, supposedly improved version of OS's. And by superficial looking at pictures it does seem better, more spacious (including for feet). But I guess you can't see how the padding feels. thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
SK also has the bad habit of substituting LN-RKP with LAN interior on certain routes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-toulouse.html
Rather unlikely for LAX. It will be LAX - ARN (not CPH) on new A330. LN-RKP is a A340 used for CPH runs (almost) exclusively.

I did HKG-ARN in C class last weekend on a new SK A330. A very positive experience - hard product was superb. I didn't find the padding hard. Great IFE (large screens) and wifi onboard. Crew in C class was friendly and attentive (but senior/experienced; I only saw a couple of young FA on this flight). Food was medicore (as I recall it - I wasn't much into eating since I had a large breakfast in HKG before departure),

I haven't been in C class with OS for ages, but I doubt that there will be significant differences between SK and OS in C. Choose whatever suits your schedule best - you will be fine whichever you choose.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by zoechow
Interesting. It looks like SAS's seat is a later, supposedly improved version of OS's. And by superficial looking at pictures it does seem better, more spacious (including for feet). But I guess you can't see how the padding feels. thanks!
I hear you - was surprised myself. I fly JFK/EWR to VIE monthly for business, and often take a stopover to keep costs low(er) and try out other *A partners. Not sure if SK has a different seat for the ones near the window versus the middle two (in their 1-2-1 setting), but in my four long-haul SK flights this year ... my God, was that a hard bed, haha.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardworking21
I hear you - was surprised myself. I fly JFK/EWR to VIE monthly for business, and often take a stopover to keep costs low(er) and try out other *A partners. Not sure if SK has a different seat for the ones near the window versus the middle two (in their 1-2-1 setting), but in my four long-haul SK flights this year ... my God, was that a hard bed, haha.
Very interesting -- thanks so much. I've found seats with similar firmness adjustments like sas's

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...class-a330-10/

Ten to actually be too soft when sitting (but nice for sleeping). Apparently sas substitutes throughout their routes one old A340 bought from another airline with inferior seats and layout, but hardly likely you got it four times in a row.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.