SFO-MUC fare expectations

Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
SFO-MUC fare expectations

Hello,

I was looking into SFO-MUC J fares on LH group, and they are sky high even several months out. I mean there are routings where SFO-MUC is $5800 in C and $6400 in F. Surprising since I would expect a far bigger difference, and the Biz cabin is actually a P-fare, which I assumed is the discounted fare cabin on LH/LX.

What is a good deal for SFO-MUC in C/F? Are there sales I should know about? My travel period is in October.

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Non-stops between hubs (SFO is a Star Alliance Hub) hold a premium and in October you have part of Oktoberfest (think it runs early this year so not too far into October) so that may be compounding your fare.
Take a look at Kayak's fare tracker and the alternative fares being offered with a 1 hop. Also check what it cost to fly from LAX as SFO-LAX fares can be really cheap with the competition.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Take a weekend in Belgrade, Sofia, Bucharest or somewhere like that at the beginning or end of your trip, and you'll save anywhere from $2000 to $3000 (i.e. SFO-MUC-SOF-MUC-SFO for e.g.)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:03 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
The Oktoberfest normally ends - after the extension respectively addition of one day some years ago - on October 3rd. (Anniversary of German unification).

During the Oktoberfest not only some air fares but the prices of accommodation rise extremely (with some 3star hotels going to the 150 Euro+ range for one night).

So if you are able to avoid and not reallly a fan of the Oktoberfest it's better to travel some days later.

Last edited by gum; Jun 21, 2017 at 4:13 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you want to fly MUC-SFO direct on LH and don't mind flying to another European city, tickets can be had in October for 3500$ return (example AMS, CDG, LON): https://www.google.de/flights/#searc...=LH;c=MUC;mc=m
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Germany - SFO roundtrip on UA/LH in Y are dirtcheap, even in August; i can easily find sub-EUR 600 fares; this is not normal for high season; I smell over-capacity with all the additions of European services to SFO and SJC in recent times
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
$5-6k for SFO-MUC in business class is actually the low end of the usual range. While there are occasional sales, they are neither common nor predictable. If you need to fly on specific dates, you'll probably have to either pay in that range, or get creative in your routing. For example, there's currently a $3000 fare SFO-BUD, and a $2900 fare SFO-FRA on SQ (with SFO-JFK on VX). Another option would be to book flight + hotel package on Expedia for $3-4k, but that deal involves primarily ST options rather than *A.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:53 pm

You might also take a look at the option to purchase Economy and then purchase an upgrade or bid for it. For a Saturday flight MUC - SFO and a return a week later, the upgrades to business later bidding suggests for the next weekend and the following one prices of ~$1,000 and $1,100 (maximum bid is ~$1,700) - downside is you can't rely on these prices and will only know two days before departure.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:53 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you want to fly MUC-SFO direct on LH and don't mind flying to another European city, tickets can be had in October for 3500$ return (example AMS, CDG, LON): https://www.google.de/flights/#searc...=LH;c=MUC;mc=m
Great idea. So my answer is just a thank you!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:48 am

For under $3k you should be able to buy enough miles and get an award ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:02 am
Suspended

Perhaps not what you want, but you can fly SFO-SEA-MUC with AS/DE for $3500.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Lack
For under $3k you should be able to buy enough miles and get an award ticket.
Umm... award seat via a non-M&M FFP from LH ex SFO? Keep dreaming...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Perhaps not what you want, but you can fly SFO-SEA-MUC with AS/DE for $3500.
ouch ... DE vs. LH? Would not do this. The F fare sounds very reasonable to me, heck I usually pay $2k more for BOS-MUC in C!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Umm... award seat via a non-M&M FFP from LH ex SFO? Keep dreaming...
That bad? Even with connecting in SEA/DFW?
I know that UA availability sucks though for domestic feeders.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lack
That bad? Even with connecting in SEA/DFW?
I know that UA availability sucks though for domestic feeders.
You can usually find something if you have flexibility on date and routing (with domestic connector almost certainly in Y), but not really feasible if you have "must travel" days. October would be especially difficult.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.