Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I be protected having connecting flights with 2 PNRs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
Will I be protected having connecting flights with 2 PNRs?

I have SFO-MUC flight booked as a reward and I want to book MUC-MAD as a paid ticket (as reward space hasn't shown up) and it's T-10 days.

The connection time would be 1h 30m which meets MCT for MUC.

A couple questions, can they link the PNRs at checkin?
Can they check my bags through to MAD?
What is there are IRROPS, can I be rebooked without paying fees / will I be protected?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They will only check your bag thru, the rest is your own business/risk. Make sure you bought a MUC-MAD ticket with luggage allowance...!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by philelite
I have SFO-MUC flight booked as a reward and I want to book MUC-MAD as a paid ticket (as reward space hasn't shown up) and it's T-10 days.

The connection time would be 1h 30m which meets MCT for MUC.

A couple questions, can they link the PNRs at checkin?
Can they check my bags through to MAD?
What is there are IRROPS, can I be rebooked without paying fees / will I be protected?
NO! You will not be protected since you will be on two different tickets... IMHO, it is too risky. MCT applies only for single ticket. Forget it and book longer connection.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
MCT doesn't matter because you would not be connecting at MUC. You would end one trip and start another one at MUC.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll give myself more time.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Are both tickets with LH? In my experience they have protected me on separate PNRs LH-LH... but that was probably goodwill rather than policy.
Still, give yourself more time, not worth the stress...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I would risk 1h30 LH-LH in MUC. Sure, they don't have to re-accommodate you, but they checked the luggage through and chances are good IMO since LH to MUC is not often running that late.
Also check closer to departure for more award space. What is the current availability looking like? If e.g. down to K9P9 etc. I would totally wait for X/I space to open up.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vantage03
Are both tickets with LH? In my experience they have protected me on separate PNRs LH-LH... but that was probably goodwill rather than policy.
Still, give yourself more time, not worth the stress...
You're LH HON while OP seems to have no status with LH, only *A where he/she is top tier on AC.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Both flights would be LH-LH
SFO-MUC in First Class (Booking class: O)
MUC-MAD in Economy (Lowest Paid)

I have *A Gold
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're LH HON while OP seems to have no status with LH, only *A where he/she is top tier on AC.
Fair point. To be clear, I am only recently HON and have been SQ*G, FTL and SEN at the times when I was re-accommodated on two PNRs LH-LH going from an Intercontinental award ticket to a paid or European flight.

They have never not accommodated me in this scenario. I could just have been lucky.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:13 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
MCT doesn't matter because you would not be connecting at MUC. You would end one trip and start another one at MUC.
I'm doubling this... won't they make you clear immigration at MUC since you're flying in from SFO?... in which case, 1h30 would not be enough.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's the first entry to Schengen so you will have to go through passport control.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by enelym1978
I'm doubling this... won't they make you clear immigration at MUC since you're flying in from SFO?... in which case, 1h30 would not be enough.
Maybe it has been a while since you cleared immigration at MUC, but under normal circumstances 1:30h is more than sufficient to clear immigration and get to the gate of next flight; it is LH to LH. The incoming flight needs to be seriously late before the OP will not make this connection (assuming of course luggage gets checked to final destination).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by philelite
Both flights would be LH-LH
SFO-MUC in First Class (Booking class: O)
MUC-MAD in Economy (Lowest Paid)

I have *A Gold
If you are in First arriving you can use the F lounge and immigration there. Should not be an issue. Show them your arriving F BP and your departing BP as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.