Wiki Posts
Search

LH F or J to Rio de Janeiro

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

LH F or J to Rio de Janeiro

Hello,

I usually fly BA to Rio de Janeiro but for the period I am looking to travel their prices are ridiculous, so I am now looking at LH instead.

With BA it usually book J and use miles to move to F, but as I have no status or miles for LH this is not option.

So my question is really simply, should I pay an extra 1700 EUR to go F outbound to Rio or "slum it" in J in both directions?

In addition to the better onboard experience I am also keen to try the LH F terminal at FRA.

The flight departs late from FRA so I would have plenty of time at the lounge, but most likely sleep the majority of the time on the plane.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I would say yes for me personally but it really depends on your finances and how much you appreciate F over J. The ground services alone make it worthwhile for me; you avoid all the hassles. Plus the LH F bedding is great.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I would say yes for me personally but it really depends on your finances and how much you appreciate F over J. The ground services alone make it worthwhile for me; you avoid all the hassles. Plus the LH F bedding is great.
Thanks for your thoughts.
I had a look at the LH website and discovered that the lounge has a cigar lounge which is a huge plus.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: LX SEN
This may be off topic, but if you wish to fly to Rio in J for a good price, you can fly LX for EUR 1299. BUT you need to (1) start from MXP (or another Italian airport) via ZRH and (2) take a companion with you... Great lounge in ZRH terminal E.

Discounted F not available unless you wish to fly to Sao Paolo.

https://www.swiss.com/it/it/Book/OfferBook/Group/lVH3
Old May 19, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nic33
This may be off topic, but if you wish to fly to Rio in J for a good price, you can fly LX for EUR 1299. BUT you need to (1) start from MXP (or another Italian airport) via ZRH and (2) take a companion with you... Great lounge in ZRH terminal E.

Discounted F not available unless you wish to fly to Sao Paolo.

https://www.swiss.com/it/it/Book/OfferBook/Group/lVH3

That's a great offer, but I will be travelling alone and on a tight schedule so not too much time for alternative positioning. Still great offer.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by juniordk2000
The flight departs late from FRA so I would have plenty of time at the lounge, but most likely sleep the majority of the time on the plane.
If you enjoy good food and drink, the LH FCLs (and the, in my opinion, overrated FCT, which is essentially a FCL without an apron view...) are definitely worth it. The onboard product is also one of the best in the sky.

Only downside is that LH flies the B748 to GIG and I like the F-cabin in the A380 and A346 slightly better; but that's a real first world problem.

Have a great flight!
Old May 19, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
at this price difference ... I would book F without thinking twice.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I would not hesitate booking LH F via FRA to experience the FCT and EUR99 Porsche rental.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I'd hesitate to pay 1700 EUR for a return trip to Rio ... let alone a one way upgrade from a flat bed to a flat bed ...
Old May 20, 2017, 12:05 am

If you are used to BA: Their F is more a glorified business class. LH F runs circles around BA F. The LH business class is a different story. Relatively small seats, no direct aisle access from every seat etc - similar to what BA has. Both are not state of the art any more.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by weero
I'd hesitate to pay 1700 EUR for a return trip to Rio ... let alone a one way upgrade from a flat bed to a flat bed ...
Well, if experiencing the FCT is one of the priorities, a one-way upgrade would probably be the best way too tick this wish off the bucket list.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Well, if experiencing the FCT is one of the priorities, a one-way upgrade would probably be the best way too tick this wish off the bucket list.
I guess ... if it then came at a 50EUR tag. Maybe 70 if they still have the duckies.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by weero
I guess ... if it then came at a 50EUR tag. Maybe 70 if they still have the duckies.
Well, the OP just has to drink couple of bottles of 150-Euro-champagne, eat lots of steak, scallops and shrimp, and collect tons of memorabilia to sell them on ebay to justify the extra tag.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Well, the OP just has to drink couple of bottles of 150-Euro-champagne, eat lots of steak, scallops and shrimp, and collect tons of memorabilia to sell them on ebay to justify the extra tag.
All very fair points ^ .

Ente gut, alles gut.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For this price and the length of the journey, I would definitely book F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.