Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding - Lufthansa misinterprets Timatic [for Syrian flying FRA-BEY]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding - Lufthansa misinterprets Timatic [for Syrian flying FRA-BEY]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Syria has cut back on where it holds passport blanks for its latest passport version and also increased the fees related to getting a passport. And Syria isn't all as well connected with DHL and the like as it used to be.
I was just thinking that if I ever fled a country, possibly because of the policies of the ruler in place, I may be hesitant to go back there because of the possibility of retribution. So I would probably prefer trying to renew from abroad.
For example, what is Iran's policy regarding renewing passports for citizens who fled after the Shah was overthrown? What would happen if one of them tried to enter Iran now?
Old May 14, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I was just thinking that if I ever fled a country, possibly because of the policies of the ruler in place, I may be hesitant to go back there because of the possibility of retribution. So I would probably prefer trying to renew from abroad.
For example, what is Iran's policy regarding renewing passports for citizens who fled after the Shah was overthrown? What would happen if one of them tried to enter Iran now?
I am assuming if a person is fleeing a country like that, they are obtaining political asylum where ever they flee and don't have a need to renew their passports.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Make sure their passports are signed We had some drama there too: LH Denied boarding in DXB due to unsigned SY passport [split off from Newbie lounge]
off-topic: When I was flying back home from SIN I got a pop-up during OLCI specifically asking me if my passport was signed that I never saw before, and that thread immediately jumped to my mind
Old May 14, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
A friend of mine had friends in that situation. If they hadn't served in the military and they're not up in their years, there was a chance of them being detained in country. He had served so he never worried, but friends of his stayed put in Europe and in the US, at least until later in life.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Grog
A friend of mine had friends in that situation. If they hadn't served in the military and they're not up in their years, there was a chance of them being detained in country. He had served so he never worried, but friends of his stayed put in Europe and in the US, at least until later in life.
A friend of mine also had the same issue. He went back to see his mother, travelling on his Canadian passport (he had entered Canada years before as a refugee). He was detained, jailed and only released two days later when his wife arranged to pay a 'fine'.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
A friend of mine also had the same issue. He went back to see his mother, travelling on his Canadian passport (he had entered Canada years before as a refugee). He was detained, jailed and only released two days later when his wife arranged to pay a 'fine'.
From the US State Department's travel site for Iran.

However, the Iranian government does not recognize dual nationality and will treat U.S.-Iranian dual nationals solely as Iranian citizens.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:09 pm

Authorities these days are generally a bit suspicious of refugees traveling back to the countries they supposedly fled from fearing for their lives, as it casts some doubts about the legitimacy of the story told in their asylum proceedings.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Authorities these days are generally a bit suspicious of refugees traveling back to the countries they supposedly fled from fearing for their lives, as it casts some doubts about the legitimacy of the story told in their asylum proceedings.
The OP's PILs weren't traveling to Syria. They were traveling to Lebanon. Lebanon isn't Syria, even as the two countries have a lot of common history (to use a euphemism in some ways).

Most all of them get Iranian passports just fine, even from abroad. And it's hard to get rid of Iranian citizenship. But plenty of countries do issue international travel docs for foreign nationals who have sought asylum/refugee status in a country. For example, the US issues passport like books for refugees in the US who can't get a passport from their country of citizenship; some even use these docs to sometimes work in countries other than that of their own citizenship and that of their refuge which issued the travel doc.

Unlike the US, Iran didn't get rid of penalties for non-use of its passports by its citizens entering and exiting the country. Like the US, it has penalties for not fulfilling citizenship obligations. Many don't travel to Iran any more than they have to -- if at all. Even if they still get/want an Iranian passport from the local Iranian embassy/consulate/interests section.

Originally Posted by TomMM
I am assuming if a person is fleeing a country like that, they are obtaining political asylum where ever they flee and don't have a need to renew their passports.
Not an assumption I would make. It's a lot easier to claim refugee/asylum status and to be a refugee/asylum seeker when with a valid passport from the country of citizenship than when without it.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 14, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 10:25 pm

That is one of the differences between fleeing and being an economic migrant. The former doesn't return.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by barhom
Just to update you all.

Lufthansa is sending my parents in law back on the next flight to ARN at their cost.
I'll be sending a claim for compensation to SAS and Lufthansa according to Regulation 261/2004.
SAS has nothing to do with your parents in law being refused to travel. A EU Reg. 261/04 claim cannot be filed against the ticketing carrier unless the carrier also operates the flight in question. (but you may claim for the initial delay of the SK flight though, depending on how much the flight was delayed and if caused by "extraordinary circumanstances" or not).

You may try to claim comp. for denied boarding from LH (LH was the operating carrier for the flight in question, so you need to approach LH) but I'm quite sure that the reply will be "Sorry, but the pax had no valid travel documents to board the flight" - and then you need prove that the decision was wrong and that they should have been allowed to travel. Good luck! Obvioulsy, LH does not have to pay compensation if the pax didn't qualify to travel.

You state that LH misinterprets TIMATIC - well, apparently several LH agents misinterpret TIMATIC then as also during second scrutiny the pax was not allowed to travel (but was returned to ARN at no costs, for which you/your parents in law should be grateful). Could it be that you misinterpret TIMATIC?/that your father in law in fact doesn't qualify to travel? Sorry to state this, but I find it rather unlikely that several LH agents (and even after the matter being excalated) would refuse to let your father in law travel unless there is actually some merits to such refusal.

Being a refugee from Syria recently entering Sweden does certainly not help the situation and may have caused LH to be suspecius, but of course any decision to deny a pax from boarding a flight need to have merits regardless of the person traveling.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:35 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Just to update you all.

Lufthansa is sending my parents in law back on the next flight to ARN at their cost.
Why?

Still because your father-in-law doesn't have an exit stamp in his passport prior to exiting the EU?

HTB.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by htb
Why?

Still because your father-in-law doesn't have an exit stamp in his passport prior to exiting the EU?

HTB.
There must be more to the story... I am not sure if OP will tell us anything more...

Perhaps this?
I assure you guys that their papers are in order. They are flying back to BEY to visit SYR to renew their passports. There's nothing hokus pokus about anything, a simple mistake done by the border police and/or the airline employees @ the gate of the plane.
Perhaps fathers did not have required 6 months validity?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
There must be more to the story... I am not sure if OP will tell us anything more...

Perhaps this?

Perhaps fathers did not have required 6 months validity?
but shouldn't all the simple things have raised a flag at ARN in the first place?
Old May 15, 2017, 4:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
SAS doesn't verify anything for LH longhaul in ARN.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by oliver2002
SAS doesn't verify anything for LH longhaul in ARN.
I was at the gate for a cancelled LH-flight at ARN last week. SK were saying that they can't touch LH-rebookings at all and that all passengers need to wait for their updated itineraries by email/sms. Transfer centre turned these people away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.