Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable To Check In - Can't Select My Nationality

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Unable To Check In - Can't Select My Nationality

I have a flight with Lufthansa tomorrow. I'm trying to use the mobile app to check in. Every time I select 'British' as my nationality it returns an error message. I can see 'United Kingdom' in the drop down options but that is clearly wrong and it's not my nationality.

Just to confirm that I'm not mistaken, a quick google reveals:

'The United Kingdom (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) is made up of four constituent countries or nations - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Under British law, these four countries are an equal union, sharing a common British citizenship. A UK passport describes its holder as a "British citizen". According to British nationality law all citizens of the UK have British nationality. This has been so since the Acts of Union 1707...'

Just checked my passport - the page with the photograph - and it definitely says that I'm a British citizen. In fact, under nationality it says 'BRITISH CITIZEN' in capitals, as if to reinforce the point.

Is this something I can raise at the airport? I'm not happy to supply incorrect information. I'm sure there will be a little box to tick to confirm that what I've said is true and that would be wrong. Maybe I can refer them to this 1707 Act?

Palmer
Old May 1, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Palmer
I have a flight with Lufthansa tomorrow. I'm trying to use the mobile app to check in. Every time I select 'British' as my nationality it returns an error message. I can see 'United Kingdom' in the drop down options but that is clearly wrong and it's not my nationality.
I had a similar issue on the return leg of an LH booking. I selected my nationality (which coincided with my final destination), but LH kept saying that it wasn't valid. IIRC, I ended up selecting that I'm German (given that entered Schengen in FRA) and that was the end of it.

Strange on the outbound leg, I didn't have that issue and the system accepted APIS data without generating error messages.

Alternatively (and particularly if you have to add 'incorrect' APIS data), best is probably to stop the OLCI at that point and just finish it at the airport.
Old May 2, 2017, 7:33 am

'The United Kingdom (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) is made up of four constituent countries or nations - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Under British law, these four countries are an equal union, sharing a common British citizenship. A UK passport describes its holder as a "British citizen". According to British nationality law all citizens of the UK have British nationality. This has been so since the Acts of Union 1707...'

Just checked my passport - the page with the photograph - and it definitely says that I'm a British citizen. In fact, under nationality it says 'BRITISH CITIZEN' in capitals, as if to reinforce the point.

Is this something I can raise at the airport? I'm not happy to supply incorrect information. I'm sure there will be a little box to tick to confirm that what I've said is true and that would be wrong. Maybe I can refer them to this 1707 Act?

Palmer
If "United Kingdom" allows you to check in, use it and don't care about the history of your country. I also doubt that anybody at the airport will bother about being explained the intricacies of the Brittish/UK citizenship law, but feel free to do so just to see how they react, and let us know about that...
Old May 2, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KLouis
If "United Kingdom" allows you to check in, use it and don't care about the history of your country. I also doubt that anybody at the airport will bother about being explained the intricacies of the Brittish/UK citizenship law, but feel free to do so just to see how they react, and let us know about that...
OP seems hung up on the principle of the thing, forget about common sense

Under OP's rationale, citizens of Wales or Scotland would be similarly precluded from online check-in.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes, you should absolutely raise this at the airport. In fact, the contracted minimum wage employee you are likely to encounter there will not only perfectly understand the gravity of this issue, and sympathize with your inability to select United Kingdom. No, they will also be empowered to immediately change the mobile app to rectify this.

Further, I would expect that the chairman of Lufthansa Group will reach out to you personally to thank you for alerting them to this massive flaw, that must have prevented tens of thousands of BRITISH CITIZENS from checking in via the Lufthansa mobile app.

Now, back to real issues...
Old May 2, 2017, 4:18 pm

If you don't like it, you're free to take your business to United Kingdom Airways instead.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
To the best of my recollection a British UK issued passport still grants you privileges within the EU. The same is not true for every other British passport, e.g a Jersey issued passport.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold

Palmer
One needs more than the 1707 Act to adequately address issues of UK nationality and citizenship.

A UK passport might refer to its holder in seven different ways: British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject, British national (overseas), British protected person.

Each one of these is a citizen of the United Kingdom, but not necessarily a British citizen. Nationality and citizenship are not interchangeable.

Are you a British citizen? Apparently, yes. Are you a British national? Apparently, yes. Are you not also a citizen of the EU?

If the former are true, are you not also a citizen of the UK? Yes. You just happen to also be a British national.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Grog

A UK passport might refer to its holder in seven different ways: British citizen, British overseas territories citizen, British overseas citizen, British subject, British national (overseas), British protected person.
To my understanding British overseas territories citizen and British overseas citizen passports are not UK passports:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nguilla%29.jpg

To me, a UK passport in international travel is a passport issued to British citizens with the full right of abode and (still) the entitlement to move freely within the EU.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
To my understanding British overseas territories citizen and British overseas citizen passports are not UK passports:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nguilla%29.jpg

To me, a UK passport in international travel is a passport issued to British citizens with the full right of abode and (still) the entitlement to move freely within the EU.
Ah, I tripped up and made an error in referencing the passport rather than a person's actual status within the UK. I should've left this thread as I found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.