Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH/LX should demand that UA be suspended from Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I tend to share Gigantor's feelings about this, although the practicalities of chucking UA out of *Alliance, not to mention the effects it would have on LH/LX, render that improbable. I am totally up for boycotting the airline and indeed have been actively doing so since that utter mess the merger with Continental was. Having said that, it is easy to do given that I am mostly here in Europe! I have also placed a boycott on British Airways, but that is another story.

I don't like these monolithic, monopolist corporations that these huge airline companies have become, devoid of feeling and any sense of human decency. I think there is corrupt greedy culture, just like there is at the banks, at the top of all these companies that have become too big (think Smisek, and so forth) that isn't going to easily change.

It is high time the authorities take a closer look at the whole airline and travel industry, the degradation of service, the cramming of more seats in the aircraft, the call of duty in the event of irrops etc.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Concerto
It is high time the authorities take a closer look at the whole airline and travel industry, the degradation of service, the cramming of more seats in the aircraft, the call of duty in the event of irrops etc.
I completely agree with this, but it's difficult to expect authorities to step in and make drastic changes at a time when customers themselves are willing to forgo all of the above in order to save a few EUR.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, I think that is the crux of the problem. We owe the LLCs a lot, especially lower fares across most the airlines, but early on I felt that there would be a sting in the tail.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:52 am

Hah, at the gate for my TP flight they announced they look for 30! Volunteers.

Waiting in the bus they actually at some point closed the doors and the police kept 6 people which obviously already passed the boarding pass check at the gate from getting on the bus. Shortly after, the GA showed up with the manifest.

so, IDBed not in the plane but almost.

i guess there was an equipment change from A321 since we now board a 320
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:26 pm

In airline terms, such a demand will be similar in nature to demanding that Germany or France leaves the EU.

Now go and carefully think about what kind of situations would genuinely warrant such a demand. This incident is not one of such situations.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Mods: Please move this thread to the Kindergarden Thread, thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Based on Flight UA 3411 on Sunday, 9. April 2017

Official request made to LH/LX:
1. UA should be suspended from Star Alliance, effective immediately.
2. All codeshares with UA should be terminated, effective immediately.

This shall not be tolerated.

I will never board another UA aircraft.

This. I can't believe people actually disagree with this.

Sure there are various explanations but didnt Hitler also have his reasons? Slobodan? Come on, people where is the respect for another human being?

Some things to consider:
1. why was this particular man selected & forcibly removed? Not another?
2. forcibly removing a paying passenger in order to sit an employee for free is ok - why?
3. overbooking mishandling - all airlines overbook. When it is overbooked you do not end up ON the plane and IN a seat. This is how they avoid the situation we saw. Why is this not standard procedure at UAL?
4. Those saying he was offered $ - the man had appointments with patients & couldnt give up his seat. Couldnt the airline "reaccommodate" another pax sans the bodily harm?

Interestingly enough to discredit this man some local paper alleged he had a colourful background --which turned out to be false/mistaken identity.

Miles & More should, regardless, remove UAL from star alliance and add another airline to take it's place at least insofar as US flights are concerned.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Etwasetwas
Sure there are various explanations but didnt Hitler also have his reasons? Slobodan?
Get a grip. Seriously.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by Etwasetwas
2. forcibly removing a paying passenger in order to sit an employee for free is ok - why?

4. Those saying he was offered $ - the man had appointments with patients & couldnt give up his seat. Couldnt the airline "reaccommodate" another pax sans the bodily harm?
2. because deadhead crew is the most important passenger for the airline.
4. i think it speaks something about the others too... when they heard about the fuss instead of taking out their phones to film it , why no one offered their seats?

to me both parties reacted inadequately united and the passenger..
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I don't think that UA will be suspended from *A, there is too much at stake for that. However, in case you don't like UA one could simply avoid them whenever you can, as I have been doing since long!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Based on Flight UA 3411 on Sunday, 9. April 2017

Official request made to LH/LX:
1. UA should be suspended from Star Alliance, effective immediately.
2. All codeshares with UA should be terminated, effective immediately.

This shall not be tolerated.

I will never board another UA aircraft.
United publicly supported the Lufthansa Group carriers after a mentally ill Germanwings pilot killed a planeload of pax by slamming them into a mountain, and you think LH/LX should make a fuss with UA over this?

Respectfully, gimme a break.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
United publicly supported the Lufthansa Group carriers after a mentally ill Germanwings pilot killed a planeload of pax by slamming them into a mountain, and you think LH/LX should make a fuss with UA over this?

THIS!!!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
How about we suspend LH and LX from Star Alliance for maintaining too hot cabin temperatures on their TATL flights?

Star Alliance is just a cooperative marketing company. It's not going to "suspend" its only American member.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
^

Could someone close this pointless thread, pls. If you don't want to fly UA after this incident; fine by all means put your money elsewhere when buying your next tkt, but asking LH/LX to exclude UA from *A - give me a break.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:02 am

Why wouldn't they? How does that have to do with Lufthansa?
If you mean by the fact pilots aren't carefully screened, well, that is a real issue with all airlines and probably should be addressed, but will not be. Because in society the people we place the most trust in are the least vetted. It is in the interest of all airlines to not let consumers know who actually pilot the planes. I bet not all pilots are qualified to handle emergencies like Sullenberg. But let's pretend they all are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.