any chance to claim compensation from LH ?

Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN , United 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite
any chance to claim compensation from LH ?

Am I entitled to compensation under EU 261/2014 in the following situation:

1. Lufthansa issued ticket. EU-US-EU

2. Return [US-EU] domestic feeder flight operated by UNITED delayed (due to air traffic contol) caused my missing evening LH connection to EU.
[United gave me hotel and 20$ voucher only]

3. Rebooked by Lufthansa on the following day (evening) , consquenntly I arrived to my EU destination ~24 later than planned [lost 1 weekedn day! beeing stuck in EWR!]

Could I claim it from Luftahnsa? I guess no chance to get it from United...
thx for feedback

Bart_ek
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Could I claim it from Luftahnsa?
It is certainly allowed to claim from LH.
However, LH will deny it (they deny in 100% of all cases for the first claim).
But LH will prevail.
UA+ATC+Departure from non-EU -> its not a valid claim
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
3. Rebooked by Lufthansa on the following day (evening) , consquenntly I arrived to my EU destination ~24 later than planned [lost 1 weekedn day! beeing stuck in EWR!]
There are countless of connections from EWR to the EU.
Wasn't there another flight at this night from EWR to EU?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
There are countless of connections from EWR to the EU.
Wasn't there another flight at this night from EWR to EU?
no , I arrived at 9.15pm at the gate (for DUS flight) and they could not book me via ZRH or LON and these were two flights departing just after 10pm
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The delay was ocurred on a flight operated by UA which is neither an EU carrier nor was your flight departing from the EU. Accordingly, EC 261/2004 cancellation compensation does not apply at all.

LH would deny your claim simply on the grounds that it was not the operating carrier of the delayed flight.

Bear in mind that EC 261/2004 looks to the operating carrier only.

Although not relevant to OP's question, the rebooking responsibility here was UA's as the late-delivering carrier. Given that EWR is a UA hub, it would likely have been more fruitful to have been rerouted by UA via anu number of European destinations and then onward to DUS, hopefully arriving a good deal earlier than 24 hours late.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Although not relevant to OP's question, the rebooking responsibility here was UA's as the late-delivering carrier. Given that EWR is a UA hub, it would likely have been more fruitful to have been rerouted by UA via anu number of European destinations and then onward to DUS, hopefully arriving a good deal earlier than 24 hours late.
Most of the UA flights depart fairly early in the evening, after that it's LH show.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

correct, when I arrived and was directed upstairs to ticketing for rebooking, the only 'feasible' flights were on Swiss to ZRH and on UA to LON , but on none of these (allgedaly) there were no seats left [even if unoffically I overheard a call with ZRH flight manager that said they had some pax on standby and there was one seat left...] ; well -may need the rebooking process 'speed' of the LH agent

anyway, even if I know I'm at a lost position while claiming the compensation, I'll file a claim anyhow for this situation; maybe LH gives me some bonus miles for the invconveniance ?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Or maybe a good chuckle because LH wasn't delayed. And then sole day when you do have a legitimate complaint with LH, LH has you flagged as complaining about ontime flights !
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bart_ek
...anyway, even if I know I'm at a lost position while claiming the compensation, I'll file a claim anyhow for this situation; maybe LH gives me some bonus miles for the invconveniance ?
As Americans say, it's a free country. But if they won't give you any financial compensation, why do you think that they would give you miles because of a delay in which LH was not at all involved?

Concerning the fact that LX had one free seat and "some pax" on standby, if all of them had been there before you, why should they have added you to the list of standby passengers with only one free seat? By the way, these other pax could also have had their UA flights delayed, having been previously booked on a LH flight to DUS
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:21 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KLouis
AConcerning the fact that LX had one free seat and "some pax" on standby, if all of them had been there before you, why should they have added you to the list of standby passengers with only one free seat?
Because as a SEN he might have been higher on the list than the other pax already on the list. No way to know since he wasn't even added.

HTB.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:00 am
Suspended

And one of the real values of not traveling with checked luggage is that at US airports, just go straight to the gate. A lot can happen in the minutes before departure. If you are standing there and someone else has wandered off, you may wind up with a boarding pass.

Others on that flight may misconnect and what was an overbooked flight at risk of oversale can drop quickly to having empty seats.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Often1
..And then sole day when you do have a legitimate complaint with LH, LH has you flagged as complaining about ontime flights !
What o Earth is that supposed to mean?

And you reckon that LH's brilliant IT sports such a flag?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by weero
What o Earth is that supposed to mean?
You'll get the Rabbi Ginsburg status.

Originally Posted by weero
And you reckon that LH's brilliant IT sports such a flag?
Who knows? Maybe it's shoddy for the customer so it can shine on the corporate side?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Lack
You'll get the Rabbi Ginsburg status.
On LH that might actually still be better than GM .
Who knows? Maybe it's shoddy for the customer so it can shine on the corporate side?
Or it is cost effective?

Given past reports, LH seems to be able to track customers who 'enforce' EC261 ... but I really doubt that they distinguish between justified and more ambiguous claims.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by warakorn
It is certainly allowed to claim from LH.
However, LH will deny it (they deny in 100% of all cases for the first claim).
But LH will prevail.
UA+ATC+Departure from non-EU -> its not a valid claim
Actually they don't. I made a claim in January for a missed connection to Bogota due to a delayed departure from AMS. Within a week I had an email confirming 600 euros to my account without any further communication needed. Which I did indeed recieve. And this was on a very fog affected day in AMS, I actually assumed the delay was weather related and expected them to deny compensation, but turned out it was due to late crew. I suspect other airlines would have claimed weather....

On this case though, I do agree that no comp is due, primarily because of the ATC issue. It's quite a murky area regarding connections in other countries to a flght to the EU where it is sold on one ticket, but I now airlines try not to pay up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.