How can I find out the actual reason flight was delayed?

Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
How can I find out the actual reason flight was delayed?

Hi all, I'm currently making a claim for EC261; short story my flight LH989 from Amsteram to Frankfurt on Monday 9th was delayed (reason not given) so I missed my conneciton to Bogota. As there were no flights that day I was re-routed the next day and arrived 25 hours late. I'd like to know if it's possible to confirm the definite reason for the delay, so I know if they're given me the run around or not?

Now, it was foggy at Amsterdam on Monday, however I have a feeling that this wasn't actually what caused the delay, as the inbound aircraft left frankfurt late and as far as I could tell other inbounds weren't being given ground holds by Amsterdam. I also found it a big odd not one member of ground staff or crew ever mentioned weather, which I would imagine they would do if that ewas the problem...

Furthermore, we would actually probably still have just made it, but they took an age turning the plane round and then decided to wait 20 minutes for a passenger who'd checked bags in but didn't turn up, before offloading his bags. this turned a 40 minute delay into a 1 hour 20 minute delay. I couldn't quite believe they waited for the missing pax so long given we were already delayed, and in the end a lot of pax missed connections.

Obviously if it was weather, I know I'll just have to take it on the chin. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
NR, that was the 10th.

LH988 and 989 on 09th:

Code:
>dolh989/09jan
DOLH989/09JAN                                                                   
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            LH 989   -2 MO 09JAN17                   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)                    
AMS  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                1210                            
     LEFT THE GATE                              1230                            
     TOOK OFF                                   1239                            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  1322     FRA                    
FRA  AIRCRAFT LANDED                            1316                            
     ARRIVED                                    1325                            

*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              LH 989   -2 MO 09JAN17 ASM                
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
AMS          1105  MO JCDZPYBMUHQ/S       321         1:05                      
                      VWSTLK/S                                                  
FRA 1210  MO                                                1:05                

COMMENTS-                                                                       
 1.AMS FRA   - ARRIVES TERMINAL 1                                               
 2.AMS FRA   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
 3.AMS FRA   - C200                                                             
 4.AMS FRA   -  CO2/PAX* 71.85 KG ECO, 71.85 KG PRE                             
 (*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR                                    

)>dolh988/09jan
DOLH988/09JAN                                                                   
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            LH 988   -2 MO 09JAN17                   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)                    
FRA  ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE                1010                            
     LEFT THE GATE                              1009                            
     TOOK OFF                                   1020                            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  1110     AMS                    
AMS  AIRCRAFT LANDED                            1110                            
     ARRIVED                                    1117                            

*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              LH 988   -2 MO 09JAN17 ASM                
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
FRA          0900  MO JCDZPYBMUHQ/S       321         1:15                      
                      VWSTLK/S                                                  
AMS 1015  MO                                                1:15                

COMMENTS-                                                                       
 1.FRA AMS   - DEPARTS TERMINAL 1                                               
 2.FRA AMS   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
 3.FRA AMS   - C200                                                             
 4.FRA AMS   -  CO2/PAX* 71.85 KG ECO, 71.85 KG PRE                             

)>
Flightstats shows some equipment changes:
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=988

Initial schedule D-AIPD was sent to HAM instead: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-aipd
D-AISC, planned for LH988, was 1h late from Sofia, so swapped for RP the night before already. RP came in from MUC on time but must have had tech issues and left late for KBP, and is grounded since its return. SW must have been on hand after line maint and recruited to fly to AMS. Somewhere between 8 and 9am things went south and the flight was delayed by an hour.

The KL FRA-AMS flight that morning was cancelled altogether. My take is there was some weather related issue in FRA that morning.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
NR, that was the 10th.
Yes, I realised. That's why I deleted the post.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
NR, that was the 10th.

LH988 and 989 on 09th:

Code:
>dolh989/09jan
DOLH989/09JAN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * LH 989 -2 MO 09JAN17
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)
AMS ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1210
LEFT THE GATE 1230
TOOK OFF 1239
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1322 FRA
FRA AIRCRAFT LANDED 1316
ARRIVED 1325

*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* LH 989 -2 MO 09JAN17 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
AMS 1105 MO JCDZPYBMUHQ/S 321 1:05
VWSTLK/S
FRA 1210 MO 1:05

COMMENTS-
1.AMS FRA - ARRIVES TERMINAL 1
2.AMS FRA - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
3.AMS FRA - C200
4.AMS FRA - CO2/PAX* 71.85 KG ECO, 71.85 KG PRE

)>dolh988/09jan
DOLH988/09JAN
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO * LH 988 -2 MO 09JAN17
CITY INFO HOUR (LOCAL)
FRA ESTIMATED TIME OF DEPARTURE 1010
LEFT THE GATE 1009
TOOK OFF 1020
ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL 1110 AMS
AMS AIRCRAFT LANDED 1110
ARRIVED 1117

*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO* LH 988 -2 MO 09JAN17 ASM
APT ARR DY DEP DY CLASS/MEAL EQP GRND EFT TTL
FRA 0900 MO JCDZPYBMUHQ/S 321 1:15
VWSTLK/S
AMS 1015 MO 1:15

COMMENTS-
1.FRA AMS - DEPARTS TERMINAL 1
2.FRA AMS - ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE
3.FRA AMS - C200
4.FRA AMS - CO2/PAX* 71.85 KG ECO, 71.85 KG PRE

)>
Flightstats shows some equipment changes:
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=988

Initial schedule D-AIPD was sent to HAM instead: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-aipd
D-AISC, planned for LH988, was 1h late from Sofia, so swapped for RP the night before already. RP came in from MUC on time but must have had tech issues and left late for KBP, and is grounded since its return. SW must have been on hand after line maint and recruited to fly to AMS. Somewhere between 8 and 9am things went south and the flight was delayed by an hour.

The KL FRA-AMS flight that morning was cancelled altogether. My take is there was some weather related issue in FRA that morning.
Thanks! Very helpful and much appreciated. Seems there was a lot going on that morning.

I guess I'll just put the claim in and see what comes of it, seems like there could have been an element of the related delays. Complicated one!

The annoying thing was that even with the inbound delay we should have been OK, and ground staff assured us we would be with the
new departure time. Then that time got pushed back because of delays preparing the aircraft, and they waited an age to unload the luggage.

I wouldn't had minded as much I I could had gone LH the next day, but I got sent to MAD next morning to catch the Avianca flight, and I wouldn't wish Avianca long haul on my worst enemy!
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks again for the help. Just to let you know how it turned out, I got a reply from customer services last night informing me that the delay was caused by waiting for operating crew from another flight, it is LH's responsibility in these cases, and as a result they are already processing the 600 euro compensation.

Pretty impressed with the turnaround time and the immediate acceptance of their responsibilities I must say. Well done LH
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by nallison
The annoying thing was that even with the inbound delay we should have been OK, and ground staff assured us we would be with the
new departure time. Then that time got pushed back because of delays preparing the aircraft, and they waited an age to unload the luggage.
That's standard security regulation - no airline in the world will fly with luggage of passenger who did not board.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vbroucek
That's standard security regulation - no airline in the world will fly with luggage of passenger who did not board.
Ehm, this happens all the time. In the US, for example, there is no requirement for a positive match between luggage and passenger.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:20 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ehm, this happens all the time. In the US, for example, there is no requirement for a positive match between luggage and passenger.
Post 9/11 I do not believe that. Maybe intra US and I doubt even that, but definitely not internationally and definitely not to USA. In the context of this thread, we are talking about international flights...
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It definitely happens intra-US. Also, how do you think late luggage meets up with a passenger?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US eliminated the silliness of pulling bags on domestic and many international routes in 2003 when TSA started screening all checked luggage. While most carriers have policies limiting this somewhat for voluntary reroutes, this is not the case for involuntary (IRROPS) reroutes.

In addition, worldwide, what exactly do you think happens to your bag when it goes missing and is later found and sent to you? It, of course, travels unaccompanied.

All of that said, the reality is that EC 261/2004 is simply a binary system. Some people make a lot of money from delays and suffer no consequences and others get very little and suffer a lot. Once the Regulation's deadline has passed, carriers have no incentives to speed up the process.

Having said all of this, anytime I see a post saying "we were not given information", I have to ask why the savvy traveler did not ask. Some of the best information to be had will come from staff on the scene. They are focused on getting people out and are not working on EC 261/2004 issues. They know the "real" reasons and may be quick to answer. If asked.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Having said all of this, anytime I see a post saying "we were not given information", I have to ask why the savvy traveler did not ask. Some of the best information to be had will come from staff on the scene. They are focused on getting people out and are not working on EC 261/2004 issues. They know the "real" reasons and may be quick to answer. If asked.
You must be lucky to find staff who know the real reason for a delay. I’ve been fortunate and haven’t had many serious delays/cancellations which led to claims but in some outstations agency staff haven’t a clue why a flight is delayed.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
ARN to VNO via FRA! I hope at least you’ll receive miles for the additional distance flown. And good luck with your claim!
Well, actually HEL to VNO via ARN and FRA, which is even worse. At least it wasn't TLL, at which point it would probably have been faster to swim

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It definitely happens intra-US. Also, how do you think late luggage meets up with a passenger?
Not on the originally scheduled flgiht (and time)... The point is, that the passenger should have no advance knowledge of when speicifically will the baggage fly without him, and crucially, no control to remove themselves from a flight while having the luggage still on.

Course if you've just made a 20 minute connection, it's more likely then not that the bag is not on that flight, but.

1. it could be
2. you have no idea which flight it will be on (if any)
3. you have no power to create a delay so that you end up with a 20 minute connection on purpose.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:44 am

Flight Delay Reason

Hi I am trying to find the actual reason for a flight delay.
BA stated weather, Pilot said technical issue.
If anyone could help that would be great,
BA0837 17DEC2018
DUB/LHR

Thanks,

Andrew
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by ajohns
Hi I am trying to find the actual reason for a flight delay.
BA stated weather, Pilot said technical issue.
If anyone could help that would be great,
BA0837 17DEC2018
DUB/LHR

Thanks,

Andrew
This is a Lufthansa forum though
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:09 am

Hi, need help with this. My daughter was traveling on LH447 (DEN-FRA) on Jul 12, and missed the connection to LH756 (FRA-BOM) on Jul 13. Lufthansa provided accommodation in FRA, and she took the same flight 24 hours later (Jul 14). Lufthansa says it was a weather delay, hence are denying the claim. Is there a way to find out the real reason for the flight delay ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.