Wiki Posts
Search

Perfect way to lose customers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Perfect way to lose customers

No wonder why people are tired of Lufthansa.

Flying BRU-FRA-BOM today. SEN on paid business ticket/return on first.

I approach the checkin to change my bonus card, and I cannot believe it, but the checkin guy wants to weigh my hand luggage. Turns out it is 4,8 kilo overweight, so he asks me to put 5 kilo in my brief case, otherwise he will check it in. I refuse and argue that due to plane delay, I have only 50 min connection time - no luck, he checks it in.

What kind of airline, punishes their premium customers for approaching checkin for a service:-( I would expect in these strike times they would go even further to keep their business, but obviously not in BRU.

Now crossing fingers, my luggage will actually make it to India.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by tgj1974

I approach the checkin to change my bonus card, and I cannot believe it, but the checkin guy wants to weigh my hand luggage. Turns out it is 4,8 kilo overweight, so he asks me to put 5 kilo in my brief case, otherwise he will check it in. I refuse and argue that due to plane delay, I have only 50 min connection time - no luck, he checks it in.

What kind of airline, punishes their premium customers for approaching checkin for a service:-( I would expect in these strike times they would go even further to keep their business, but obviously not in BRU.

As much as I sympathise with you, you can't blame an airline for enforcing its rules. They're valid for everyone and not only for the poorer people who can't afford business/first. I'd call this bad luck and forget about it...
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze

What a pointless DYKWIA!!!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I approach the checkin to change my bonus card, and I cannot believe it, but the checkin guy wants to weigh my hand luggage. Turns out it is 4,8 kilo overweight, so he asks me to put 5 kilo in my brief case, otherwise he will check it in.
Originally Posted by vbroucek
What a pointless DYKWIA!!!

Sorry you didn't earn much sympathy there!

But the problem was most likely that the agent checking in for BRU FRA had his horizons set on that sector, and had probably been instructed to follow the rules on cabin baggage to the letter. Smaller aircraft, less overhead capacity, high passenger load etc etc

An unfortunate start to a journey in F.

LH recently managed to lose* my bags in both directions on connecting flights within Europe: so your anxiety seems well placed.

(* "Your bags are not lost: we know where they are" )
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:52 am

A good one? How is this anyone's fault but your own?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, my point was actually to flag, what is the sense in enforcing this. If they enforced it for people at the gate also, then fair enough. But enforce it only for people that come to the counter for a question/Service, not even checkin. I went to counter to change bonus card, not even check in - and only reason I went to change bonus card, was because it wouldnt let me add it from home. so obviously next time, I will change at gate in stead if neede.d

But point is, why piss off a customer, for something that makes zero sense.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As frequent flyers many of us know we should avoid drawing attention if our carry-ons are slightly overweight by not going near the check-in counter.

But the agent was flexible and gave you the option to put 5 kilo in your brief case and you refused. That's why you are not getting sympathy here.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
But point is, why piss off a customer, for something that makes zero sense.
Makes lots of sense to me...
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Refuse was maybe strong word, I said it was impossible.

Vbroucek I just love your positive attitude, maybe you can enlighten me, why it makes sense to be so anal about the weight of one piece of hand luggage, when you dont check 75% of them, because people go straight to gate.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:16 am

Refuse was maybe strong word, I said it was impossible.

Vbroucek I just love your positive attitude, maybe you can enlighten me, why it makes sense to be so anal about the weight of one piece of hand luggage, when you dont check 75% of them, because people go straight to gate.
So your complaint is that while you broke the rules as set forth by the CoC that really wasn't your fault because you couldn't be expected to follow them when nobody else does?

"Everybody else does it" may have worked for you in kindergarten, but hopefully not since.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:31 am
Original Poster

No, my complaint why do they not cut their premium customers a bit of slack on something, they dont enforce anyway. I understand if you pay 400 EUR for a ticket they wanna make sure they get every cent out of you they can, because next time you will choose whomever is 10 EUR cheaper, but when you pay 4.000 EUR and show your loyalty to a company with many issues these days, I would (if it was my business), make sure you pleased your customers, rather than pissing them off, ensuring they also came back next time.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by theddo
"Everybody else does it" may have worked for you in kindergarten, but hopefully not since.
Gosh! The OP is getting tough love

Rightly or wrongly, passengers in First have hopes, expectations, of some forms of special treatment taking them beyond Terms and Conditions. A blind eye to hand-baggage restrictions is one such treatment that might be expected. The lockers on an A380 would take a good few kilos of carry-on delights.

Checking in at Frankfurt is perfectly possible the baggage would have been whisked through. But at an out-station, on a narrow-body with no first, and check-in agents focussed on their own sector and its luggage restrictions, the story is different.

Best just to accept it. Learn to avoid check-in desks: serve your argument for gate agents.

Don't fight back against the intemperate critics: you'll risk becoming a troll manqué
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks Ian,

In all fairness, I was in business out, my return is in first. The plane was +/- half full only, so plenty of space.

In total my hand luggage was within limits, just a bit unevenly distributed as it was never before an issue, on I guess 60-80 LH flights.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
As frequent flyers many of us know we should avoid drawing attention if our carry-ons are slightly overweight by not going near the check-in counter.
Exactly!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Exactly!
I agree, and would never have done it, if I was in economy. But never had it enforced in bc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.