Search

First time Biz class...what to expect

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
First time Biz class...what to expect

Hi all,

I am in the process to fly HAM-LAX via FRA, A380 on Business.
I have no M&M Status.

What to expect? How to maximize the experience at airport and on board?

Thansk
Marco
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
IMO there is not much special u can expect unless it's yr first time with LH. Just don't pick the window seat cos it's hard to get out if the passenger next u has the seat extended.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Not first with LH on long-haul, but first time in biz (ever, on long-haul)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:21 am

Personally, I would:
- enjoy the lounge before your flight (I'm a fa of potato salad), and plan to get to the gate after the majority of passengers have boarded (no need to get there early, as there is plenty of space to put handluggage)
- enjoy a nice meal (LH may have already sent you the menu link by email) and drinks on board.
- if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask (either a passing attendant, get up and go to the galley, or use the call button).

As long as your expectations are not too crazy, then I'm sure you'll have a great flight! While LH Business Class is not super luxury or the best in the world, I find LH consistently delivers what they promise and I have had many enjoyable flights.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
Not first with LH on long-haul, but first time in biz (ever, on long-haul)
So enjoy their free champagne and other alcohol drinks
Or you can ask for extra meal if you still have some room after your ordered meal. Last year with EVA an early flight I asked for both breakfast options and the FA was glad to offer me since the J cabin was bit empty.
LH's J seat isn't much wide so u may find it bit disappointed. However it's 180 flat seat and u can rest well...
Google can offer you lots of LH A380 J reviews.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: LX SEN
You will enjoy a Bose active noise reduction headset which kills the cabin noise. This is great stuff.

Originally Posted by FlyingJazzy
IMO there is not much special u can expect unless it's yr first time with LH. Just don't pick the window seat cos it's hard to get out if the passenger next u has the seat extended.

Yes, but the benefit of having a window seat in C on a LH A380 is the extra storage space that you have between the seat and the window...
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I still remember my first ever flight in Business many years ago. I'd flown longhaul Economy on LH many times before and was very excited when I had enough miles to book a longhaul Business award for the first time. The seat was the old sloping Business seat but compared to Economy I was impressed by the amount of space I had. Until then I didn't really like flying but realised that having a lot of space around me made a huge difference.

The difference between Economy and Business is a lot greater than between Business and First in my view. There may be others but I've found these trip reports on the upper deck of the A380 in the Trip Reports forum (by the same author).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-fra-sfo.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-fra-iah.html

One word of warning. When you get used to flying in Business you may not want to fly longhaul in Economy again! Enjoy your flight!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: TK*G (E+)
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
...One word of warning. When you get used to flying in Business you may not want to fly longhaul in Economy again! ...
Truth!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
One word of warning. When you get used to flying in Business you may not want to fly longhaul in Economy again! Enjoy your flight!
Originally Posted by dromack
Truth!
Amen!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:50 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Moin moin!

Enjoying the experience with an openmind is half the fun.
- make use of business class check in and priority security/immigration queue if possible
- HAM / FRAhas a LH business lounge so get there to have a drink or food and make some photos, you'll want some memories. In FRA's business lounge showers are available so why not refresh if you have time.
- Tell the FA it's your first time, they are more then happy to explain any features
- Ginger Ale is unfortunately available in First Class but they do have full beer bottles in Business Class
- Aminety kit has the basics covered: toothbrushset, eyeymask, socks, earplugs
- Don't be shy midflight to walk to the galley and have a talk to the FA's sometimes they'll give you some Lufthansa memorabla.

I have flown LH's old business class and the rest in first only but service never dissapoints. Sehr gemutlich!
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Personally, I would:
- enjoy the lounge before your flight (I'm a fa of potato salad), and plan to get to the gate after the majority of passengers have boarded (no need to get there early, as there is plenty of space to put handluggage)
- enjoy a nice meal (LH may have already sent you the menu link by email) and drinks on board.
- if you need anything, don't hesitate to ask (either a passing attendant, get up and go to the galley, or use the call button).

As long as your expectations are not too crazy, then I'm sure you'll have a great flight! While LH Business Class is not super luxury or the best in the world, I find LH consistently delivers what they promise and I have had many enjoyable flights.
Good and fair assessment. Sometimes you get a crew that's a bit off, but when you get a good team it can be unforgettable. Unfortunately, I've had one too many crews that were a bit "off".
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:29 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cyborg
Don't want to clobber the thread, but since soneone opened the door with a first business class experience in the sloping seat, mine was in 1984 SFO-MUC and LH's Business Class product was the first few rows of coach with a piece of fabric on the head rest the said "Business Class". Awful product compared to TWA who had a real barco lounger with footrest for domestic and TATL on L1011, 747 and 767.
It sounds just like what we get in shorthaul Business today.

I understand travel classes on longhaul flights consisted of standard class and first class in the 1970s. It appears that Business class was initially introduced for full-fare Economy passengers who was travelling for business and needed flexibility.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What to expect?

A lifetime resenting any travel in economy.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately my flight has been cancelled / postponed
But thanks to all for the suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.