Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH778 FRA-SIN is delayed for 11 hours. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Even though two more hotels have opened in the same complex (HGI & Hilton), the Sheraton has become/remains annyoingly arrogant and has raised rates on LH. So LH has reduced the room block they hold each day there.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looks like D-AIMH has gone tech. It came in this morning...
It is D-AIML flying to SIN now, which came in yesterday evening at 18:15 from ICN as LH713. Why didn't they fly it to SIN last night rather than delaying the flight until this morning?

The delayed departure from FRA will have a knock-on effect on the departure of LH 779 tonight from SIN as well.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It is D-AIML flying to SIN now, which came in yesterday evening at 18:15 from ICN as LH713. Why didn't they fly it to SIN last night rather than delaying the flight until this morning?

The delayed departure from FRA will have a knock-on effect on the departure of LH 779 tonight from SIN as well.
Probably, AIML needed overnight maintenance as well
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Update. Writing this message 36000ft above ground - somewhere above one of *stan countries. 7 more hours of flying to go.

Everything went smooth and uneventful this morning. And what is interesting - in Y section less than 1/3 of seats were taken so I promptly secured whole row for myself and turned it to poor man's lie flat seat.

Wifi onboard is surprisingly not bad either dor downloads, just don't try to use it for uploads.

As for the reason of delay - one FA said that it was engine problem, I have no other information. It was also said that this is the different plane, so original plane most likely is still in repair process.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The original A380 D-AIMH is on her way to MIA so the problem must have been fixed though the departure was delayed by 1.5 hrs.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by invisible
Everything went smooth and uneventful this morning. And what is interesting - in Y section less than 1/3 of seats were taken so I promptly secured whole row for myself and turned it to poor man's lie flat seat.
Thx for the update. Flights to SIN are always full or almost full, so apparently, LH managed to rebook many of the pax to SQ or LX or via BKK (I guess these flights took off full last night). I guess you benefited from this today securing a whole row to yourself + you will be able to claim EUR 600 upon you return as a delay caused by "engine problem" is not considered extraordinary circumstances (but I bet LH will try claim so in their first msg to you denying the claim)
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The original A380 D-AIMH is on her way to MIA so the problem must have been fixed though the departure was delayed by 1.5 hrs.
When did it depart? And how many hours passed from the original scheduled departure to SIN to the new flight? Would be interesting to know how many hours did the spend fixing it...
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thx for the update. Flights to SIN are always full or almost full, so apparently, LH managed to rebook many of the pax to SQ or LX or via BKK (I guess these flights took off full last night).
You are correct. It is fourth time flying this route in last 4 years and first time I could get more than one seat for myself.

I guess you benefited from this today securing a whole row to yourself + you will be able to claim EUR 600 upon you return as a delay caused by "engine problem" is not considered extraordinary circumstances (but I bet LH will try claim so in their first msg to you denying the claim)
I will provide updates on this matter here, but does anybody have a template of polite letter to LH asking them to fulfil their obligations?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
When did it depart? And how many hours passed from the original scheduled departure to SIN to the new flight? Would be interesting to know how many hours did the spend fixing it...
LH462 FRA-MIA
Scheduled time of departure 10:45
Actual time of departure 12:14
according to flightradar24
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
D-AIMD came in late from MIA due to local conditions and left late for JFK. So MH was drafted for MIA. Tough times for the A380 fleet this week.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

LH refuses to pay EC261

Originally Posted by warakorn
LH will initially refuse to pay out the compensation with some bogus excuse. Once you got the bogus excuse, post back here at FT.
You have been absolutely correct in this. Seems this is standard pattern. Here is the response

It is with regret to learn that Lufthansa flight LH778 from Frankfurt to Singapore on 20 September 2016 did not arrive as scheduled. We certainly understand your frustration as we know how important it is for your journey to proceed smoothly. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

According to our database, LH778 was delayed as a result of unexpected technical problems. For Lufthansa, the safety of passengers is our top priority. We service our aircraft regularly and according to the manufacturer's specifications. However, even with the highest standard of maintenance, technical problems cannot be fully ruled out.

With regard to your request for compensation, the airline’s liability in such circumstances is limited. Since the delay of the flight was caused by unusual circumstances which could not be prevented although all feasible measures were taken, we hope for your understanding that we are unfortunately unable to adhere to your request for compensation.

We are conforming to the stipulations of EU Regulation 261/2004 in this matter.
We realise that this may not be the response you were anticipating and regret that we are unable to compensate as we are obliged to adhere to the applicable regulations in this matter. However, we hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust in our services by choosing to fly with us again in the future.
Bolding mine in above. So LH says that:

- It was unexpected technical problem
- And it was caused 'by unusual circumstances which could not be prevented'.

Which we obviously know that it BS.

So, question to the audience - how should I respond and where?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Poster

LH refuses to pay EU261 after 11h delay

LH778 FRA-SIN (which way beyond 3500 km) which was supposed to depart on 20th of Sep departed 11h (well beyond 6h) later.

After arrival I sent a message to LH via website and politely asking about EU261. Got following reply back:

It is with regret to learn that Lufthansa flight LH778 from Frankfurt to Singapore on 20 September 2016 did not arrive as scheduled. We certainly understand your frustration as we know how important it is for your journey to proceed smoothly. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

According to our database, LH778 was delayed as a result of unexpected technical problems. For Lufthansa, the safety of passengers is our top priority. We service our aircraft regularly and according to the manufacturer's specifications. However, even with the highest standard of maintenance, technical problems cannot be fully ruled out.

With regard to your request for compensation, the airline’s liability in such circumstances is limited. Since the delay of the flight was caused by unusual circumstances which could not be prevented although all feasible measures were taken, we hope for your understanding that we are unfortunately unable to adhere to your request for compensation.

We are conforming to the stipulations of EU Regulation 261/2004 in this matter.
We realise that this may not be the response you were anticipating and regret that we are unable to compensate as we are obliged to adhere to the applicable regulations in this matter. However, we hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust in our services by choosing to fly with us again in the future.

Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:16 am

LH778 FRA-SIN (which way beyond 3500 km) which was supposed to depart on 20th of Sep departed 11h (well beyond 6h) later.

After arrival I sent a message to LH via website and politely asking about EU261. Got following reply back:

Tell them you disagree, and you will contact a lawyer tomorrow. Tomorrow you contact a lawyer and cease all communication with LH.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:20 am

There is a a pretty useful existing thread on this, which should be helpful.

Anyway, the answer you have received is standard Lufthansa hogwash.

They deny all claims in the first instance. As you seem to have a clear cut case of tech delay, which does indeed entitle you to EU261 comp, so simply need to follow up and state clearly the regulation, and make the usual threat of legal action bla bla.

It usually does the trick.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Give them 1 more chance to pay up and a couple of days to respond making is clear that you will take them to court otherwise.
LH is notorious, although recently they paid up without too much hassle (was a pretty clear-cut case though).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.