Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to spend Miles & More miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Best way to spend Miles & More miles

After a few years of inactivity I stocked up last year about 110K miles and I am quite some international flights in J class the next months to come.

In my fist period as miles & more member I used my miles to upgrade myself on the spot.

About a year ago I noticed a lot of very interesting promotions at the 'Millage Bargains' section, in business class to JFK for 55K miles.
I have now been checking for a month or 3 and JFK promotion in J class seems to have dissapeared.
Too bad because I was actually planning to surprise my lovely wife with a city trip to New York.

Anyway, my question to the more experienced Miles & More member, what would be your advice on how to use the miles and get the most out of it?
I am Brussels based by the way.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:24 am

Mileage bargains are good value, but you have to book them quickly as soon as they are announced (every month more or less). Otherwise, stick to long-haul bookings in premium cabins. Economy redemptions, or intra-EU awards, are not good value due to the taxes.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: LH M&M
The best value in terms of money, is generally redemption for F awards. As malmostoso says above, economy awards are probably the worst overall bang for your buck.

I find upgrades to be bad value as well - usually the amount of miles required for an upgrade is only slightly less than an outright award, and on top of that you need to be booked in an expensive fare to begin with, which is usually more expensive than the cheaper fares of the cabin you are upgrading to.

I can't remember seeing JFK in the mileage bargains for a while, but IAD shows up fairly frequently. From there it's easy to get to NYC.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by purch
I find upgrades to be bad value as well - usually the amount of miles required for an upgrade is only slightly less than an outright award, and on top of that you need to be booked in an expensive fare to begin with, which is usually more expensive than the cheaper fares of the cabin you are upgrading to.
Notable exception are tickets booked in a class with a segment where said class is not available. I booked a PE trip MUC-SIN-MEL-AKL-SIN-MUC and SIN-MEL was not available so it booked in Y. 30k miles for upgrading to J on SQ were a steal.

I can't remember seeing JFK in the mileage bargains for a while, but IAD shows up fairly frequently. From there it's easy to get to NYC.
Also YUL pops up relatively often, and it's close to NYC as well.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Also YUL pops up relatively often, and it's close to NYC as well.
IAD is also available quite often and it's even easier to reach NYC.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Mileage bargains are good value
I don't favor these bargains as they are very restrictive (non-refundable and they have to be booked far in advance).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Best are SEN companion awards booked into C with waitlist ...

Flexible like a real high revenue ticket and competitively priced.

A Blue Nothing, I exclusively use them for flights that are notoriously overpriced as revenue tix. SIN-HNL or SIN-JNB e.g. or Euro one-ways.

Last edited by weero; Aug 20, 2016 at 9:27 pm Reason: used the wrong term, thanks for telling me
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by weero
Best are SEN Partner awards booked into C with waitlist ...

Flexible like a real high revenue ticket and competitively priced.

A Blue Nothing, I exclusively use them for flights that are notoriously overpriced as revenue tix. SIN-HNL or SIN-JNB e.g. or Euro one-ways.
Also for last minute bookings, I find them helpfull. OP is FT, so SEN partner awards wont help, what is it btw?

I still find mileage bargains good, although it was better when travel was not 4-5 months out.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by tgj1974
Also for last minute bookings, I find them helpfull. OP is FT, so SEN partner awards wont help, what is it btw?
I understand that weero is referring to the companion award

I still find mileage bargains good, although it was better when travel was not 4-5 months out.
Fully agree, in the past I booked once and the flight was one week later, so fine, but 4/5 months in advance is too much. It would be good if you could buy some sort of insurance to get the miles back in case you cannot fly. Probably it exists?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by more4less
I understand that weero is referring to the companion award...

weero had a long day and was really, really dumb.

Thanks for restoring sanity to the forum!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:32 pm

Also for last minute bookings, I find them helpfull...
But M&M is not a last minute booking FFP, you always face the 48 hour deadline.

With the American FFPs, I found that they do not use -24h but time-of-day-24h for issuing award. For me that is time-in-China-24h >= Central Time ... which is some 11 hours for UA MP.
AA additionally allows for a significant grace. I was once able to get a partner award (term now used properly) on CX at -120 minutes out to get my assistant back.
I heard that some LLC FFPs do allow actual walk up redemptions but am unsure if that's a rumour.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I did a walk up award on Air France (operated by CityJet) once and that is one thing I truly value about the otherwise awful Flying Blue program.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by weero
But M&M is not a last minute booking FFP, you always face the 48 hour deadline.

With the American FFPs, I found that they do not use -24h but time-of-day-24h for issuing award. For me that is time-in-China-24h >= Central Time ... which is some 11 hours for UA MP.
AA additionally allows for a significant grace. I was once able to get a partner award (term now used properly) on CX at -120 minutes out to get my assistant back.
I heard that some LLC FFPs do allow actual walk up redemptions but am unsure if that's a rumour.
Well didnt think that last minute;-), but when you wanna book a ticket for the weekend a few days before and it is 500 EUR, and you can get it for 15.000 points (or normally 25.000 in biz only available) and 125 EUR, I find it is reasonable (though not outstanding) value for money.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by more4less
I understand that weero is referring to the companion award

Fully agree, in the past I booked once and the flight was one week later, so fine, but 4/5 months in advance is too much. It would be good if you could buy some sort of insurance to get the miles back in case you cannot fly. Probably it exists?
Thanks, was hoping there was now possibility of getting 50 % on award if you travelled with full paying SEN. Would sort of make sense.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Ok thanks for the info.

Guess I will have to keep an eye on the bargain section.
At this time I noticed alltrips to the US in the bargain section are only offered in economy.
I can only hope it changes soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.