Wiki Posts
Search

Austrian Airlines Gate Check?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Austrian Airlines Gate Check?

If I buy a roundtrip "economy light" ticket on Austrian Airlines between AMS -- VIE and am told at the gate that my carry-on bag needs to be gate checked, will Austrian Airlines do it free of charge or is there a steep fee like Eurowings has if I don't pay to check-in a bag when I buy the tickets online? Thanks.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:18 pm

Perhaps you should ask OS for that, they should tell you what their policy is. But I doubt that at the gate they'd be in position to actually process any fee, and I can't believe that they'll send you back to their ticketing office...

PS Actually, you may get more answers if you have this post moved to the LH, etc forum.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Analise
If I buy a roundtrip "economy light" ticket on Austrian Airlines between AMS -- VIE and am told at the gate that my carry-on bag needs to be gate checked, will Austrian Airlines do it free of charge or is there a steep fee like Eurowings has if I don't pay to check-in a bag when I buy the tickets online? Thanks.
As usual, it depends.

If you have a laptop bag and a small suitcase, you won't be charged anything if they need to gate-check your suitcase. On the other hand, If you show up at the gate with something like this, you can be damn sure they will not handle it for free.

Originally Posted by KLouis
But I doubt that at the gate they'd be in position to actually process any fee
They most certainly are, at least in VIE.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:26 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
Economy Light tickets do not include any checked luggage. If at the gate they find your luggage is not within the carry on specifications then they force you to check it in against a fee. Definitely it will not be free.

The specs can be found on the airline website and probably even on the ticket.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

OS' carry on max dimensions for a pullman are 55 x 40 x 23 cm

My 2 wheel pullman upright is 55.88 x 30.48 x 30.48 cm

I should check it in, shouldn't I?

Last edited by Analise; May 28, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old May 29, 2016, 5:24 am

OS' carry on max dimensions for a pullman are 55 x 40 x 23 cm

My 2 wheel pullman upright is 55.88 x 30.48 x 30.48 cm

I should check it in, shouldn't I?
Yes, if you depart from VIE there is almost no chance bypassing the carry-on police. At other stations it is up to the handling agent but if it is OS staff in AT they will enforce the weight (more important than the size according to my experience, probably since you can squeeze a lot of bags into the sizer but making it loss weight is hard) and size restrictions pretty zealous.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
Economy Light tickets do not include any checked luggage. If at the gate they find your luggage is not within the carry on specifications then they force you to check it in against a fee. Definitely it will not be free.

The specs can be found on the airline website and probably even on the ticket.
IME in VIE (and elsewhere) they also ask you to gate check your bag if the flight is full and they anticipate lack of space in the overhead bins. This is free of charge if your luggage is within the stipulated carry-on limits.
Old May 30, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've got a couple of short-haul flights with AUA coming up, the bookings made by our corporate TA. I've looked the bookings up on the AUA site, but don't see anywhere obvious where it says whether I'm in Economy Light or whatever. On the AUA site I'm in class S, but I have no idea what that means. Do I have right to checked bag or this a HBO rate?
Old May 30, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
I've got a couple of short-haul flights with AUA coming up, the bookings made by our corporate TA. I've looked the bookings up on the AUA site, but don't see anywhere obvious where it says whether I'm in Economy Light or whatever. On the AUA site I'm in class S, but I have no idea what that means. Do I have right to checked bag or this a HBO rate?
Booking class S will i.e. tell you how many miles you will get..

Check the fare basis on your eticket:
if it is like XXXLGTXX, then you are on a light tarif.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Thanks - I have xxxCLSx which I translate as meaning "classic"?
Couldn't they make it even more difficult to understand what class you're in?
Old May 31, 2016, 6:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Thanks - I have xxxCLSx which I translate as meaning "classic"?
Couldn't they make it even more difficult to understand what class you're in?
Yes its classic. AUA.com does say 'light' if there is a light fare in the booking. An example: my booking to OPO next week:

View Screen Capture

And it has this baggage remark:

View Screen Capture
Old May 31, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, if you depart from VIE there is almost no chance bypassing the carry-on police. At other stations it is up to the handling agent but if it is OS staff in AT they will enforce the weight (more important than the size according to my experience, probably since you can squeeze a lot of bags into the sizer but making it loss weight is hard) and size restrictions pretty zealous.
My bag won't go over the weight limit; that won't be an issue. But if you say that OS enforces the dimensions zealously even at AMS, for example, I'll check it. Thanks. I will have 4 hours from the time of landing at AMS on Delta until my OS flight to VIE so that should be enough time to check in the bag and go through security once again at AMS.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: LH Sen****, Hertz PC, HHonors Diamond, IHG Pt
My bag won't go over the weight limit; that won't be an issue. But if you say that OS enforces the dimensions zealously even at AMS, for example, I'll check it. Thanks. I will have 4 hours from the time of landing at AMS on Delta until my OS flight to VIE so that should be enough time to check in the bag and go through security once again at AMS.
Don't fear any scrutiny at AMS though, you should be fine.
At AMS whole LH group handling is outsourced anyway.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red BP
Don't fear any scrutiny at AMS though, you should be fine.
At AMS whole LH group handling is outsourced anyway.
Even with the dimensions of my bag I included above?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Did I leave enough time to catch OS flight at AMS?

My trip to VIE via AMS is next Thursday. I heard something in FT that I need clarification.

I arrive on DL from Boston to AMS at 05:50. My OS flight departs at 10:10 for VIE. I will have my pullman with me because it meets DL carry-on rules. The OS rules call for smaller dimensions so I will be checking in that bag.

I will have checked into my OS flight online. To check in the bag for the OS flight, do I leave security area and then have to go through security at AMS as if I had arrived at AMS locally?

In addition, I just learned that 2 of the 3 check in points are closed and that the security line could be extremely long. Is it really the case that I have to leave the secured area to check in my bag?

Next, can I stop at the Mercure or Yotel for a shower AFTER I am back in the secured area or must it be before I go through immigration upon arrival at AMS?

I thought I left enough time even without taking that shower. I was told that I didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.