Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

All LH A330 will lose F cabin: MUC in Winter 2016/17, FRA starting Summer 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All LH A330 will lose F cabin: MUC in Winter 2016/17, FRA starting Summer 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SFO777
No one needs a C experience either. The back of the plane arrives at just about the same time as the front or middle of the plane.
Yes I concur.
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I note you said "modern C seats" and not "LH's C seats" .
I did not. But they'd actually be plenty good enough too.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, AA Platinum, UA Gold
I'm not too sure if the reported first class changes are really going into effect based on my recent calls to the M&M call center and the general LH flight reservation agents. Here's the deal:

I'm booked on MUC-ORD on Jan. 20, 2017 in first class. When I read about the changes from airlineroute.net I called M&M to try to switch my routing onto the MUC-IAD flight, which according to the release will still have first class. The M&M representative stated that I'm still booked in first, and that the seat maps are current which show that I'm still in row 1 of the first-class equipped A340-600. When I pulled up my reservation online, it does indeed show the seating as first class (only 4 seats across, 2 rows, I'm in row 1). I explained to her that I tried to make another dummy booking into first for the flight but couldn't--only business class is available to book. She restated that I'm in first class and said that more first class seats were not being released at this time.

IHUACA, this time talking to a general LH flight reservation line and she gave the same story.

Any suggestions on what to do? Do I take the airlineroute.net release as gospel and press the issue, or just wait and see what happens. I've got time on my side...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by unclemax
..She restated that I'm in first class and said that more first class seats were not being released at this time...
Because it is needed for upgrades and F&F flyers?

I am sure you'll get the miles back .. eventually and perhaps a duty free voucher.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by unclemax
I'm not too sure if the reported first class changes are really going into effect based on my recent calls to the M&M call center and the general LH flight reservation agents. Here's the deal:

I'm booked on MUC-ORD on Jan. 20, 2017 in first class. When I read about the changes from airlineroute.net I called M&M to try to switch my routing onto the MUC-IAD flight, which according to the release will still have first class. The M&M representative stated that I'm still booked in first, and that the seat maps are current which show that I'm still in row 1 of the first-class equipped A340-600. When I pulled up my reservation online, it does indeed show the seating as first class (only 4 seats across, 2 rows, I'm in row 1). I explained to her that I tried to make another dummy booking into first for the flight but couldn't--only business class is available to book. She restated that I'm in first class and said that more first class seats were not being released at this time.

IHUACA, this time talking to a general LH flight reservation line and she gave the same story.

Any suggestions on what to do? Do I take the airlineroute.net release as gospel and press the issue, or just wait and see what happens. I've got time on my side...
In my experience, LH will not act until the loss of F is confirmed by them (flight not showing F at all, not just FC/F0/FL).

then again, whenever that happened (had it with CGK for example), I was always able to get a good alternative (with CGK they rerouted me via SIN and onwards with SQ even though it was a companion Award). When I had an F flight out of DFW and the flight got canned on that day of the week, the put me on UA DFW-IAH and then IAH-FRA... always took 2-3 calls but always worked out. so would not be too worried that far out.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:36 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
LH, given its self-regard, would probably never cull F entirely but it's quite simple math that extra PA and Y seats that you can reliably fill with paying customers beat a much smaller number of often empty F seats (or F filled with non-paying customers) in terms of the money coming in. And I imagine it's not easy to fill F with paying customers on the shorter long-haul routes because most in the target audience will think C is enough for that flight length.

There are some people on here who at times seem to confuse airplanes with boutique luxury hotels, but at the end of the day it's commercial transportation i.e. applied logistics and not a wish fulfillment vehicle for those fascinated by luxury.
Interesting points of view, Ber2dca!

However I would like to emphasize that many companies - even when not in the boutique hotel business - maintain a true luxury product. Even if it is selling not very well. If you look on the isolated numbers without any connection to image, marketing success and so on.

If you have a look on the registration figures of one luxury car like the Audi A8 and it's different versions you will be astonished how small the number of produced (and registered) vehicles in Germany is:

http://www.kba.de/SharedDocs/Publika...cationFile&v=3
(Page 12/13)

If you look on the monthly new registration figures of the Audi A8 you can conclude:
+ that it will be very difficult to make profits with that segment given the extraordinary high costs for r&d for a new generation of that car
+ there has to be a reason that the spill-over-effects are valued high by the company.

That said ripping out the First Class is a really no brainer. It allures passengers to Lufty to endure the NEK domestic/short-haul product if you provide the corresponding upselling instruments.

If the internal revenue calculation/contribution of profits for award miles are fine you can very well fill up to 4 seats with these instruments.

With that you can implant a great experience to all passengers once or twice a year who will/have to burn miles. And in the second step heighten the customer loyalty.

So its not a "wish fulfillment" vehicle just a means of showing what a company or airline is able to deliver. ^

On the other hand it is a means within the war of talents: To attract the best pilots and flight attendants to a great carrier and not a low frill clone.

Same like in retail where full service department stores like Karstadt attract also the more motivated people. And you see the cheerless faces in some of the crappy discount stores. Karstadt Lebensmittel (perfetto.de) is a great example for that philosophy and not squeezing out the last cent or revenue from customers and employees.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by gum
Karstadt Lebensmittel (perfetto.de) is a great example for that philosophy and not squeezing out the last cent or revenue from customers and employees.
This is a perfect example of the changes LH is making - there are 40 Karstadt food stores in Germany, even though there 82 Karstadt department stores. By comparison there are ~4100 Aldi stores. Some towns & cities cannot sustain such a luxury and expensive offering, as the number of customers willing to pay the premium is very low.

The main issue in this thread is that while there were not enough revenue passengers to make these flights profitable in F, there were probably plenty of award tickets and upgrades from C (either opups or miles/certificate etc). However (unlike you) I do believe the 40Y and 7Y+ has a much more positive impact on LH bottom line that 8 F upgrades or awards.

All that said, it does seem that if anyone wants to fly F from MUC they should do it soon, as I guess with the A350's going to MUC without F the days of first class service at all from MUC are coming to an end.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by 8420PR
the days of first class service at all from MUC are coming to an end.
And who knows: FRA might follow
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Wow North America lost a LOT of F capacity!!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:40 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 8420PR
This is a perfect example of the changes LH is making - there are 40 Karstadt food stores in Germany, even though there 82 Karstadt department stores. By comparison there are ~4100 Aldi stores. Some towns & cities cannot sustain such a luxury and expensive offering, as the number of customers willing to pay the premium is very low.
Bit off topic, but:

Last time I went to a Karstadt food store, full of memories of a glorious place I wasn't able to afford till now, I found a large number of REWE branded articles. Other customers were loudly wondering if they stumbled into a REWE store by mistake...

This seems like a good example on how to destroy a brand... They can't decide whether they want to be mid-range REWE or high class Karstadt, so I can't decide whether I should go back or not. There are at least 3 REWE stores closer to my home than Karstadt is...

A similar thing is happening to LH. When I pay a premium and find the offering is on par with an LCC, I'll think twice before returning. Just happened again yesterday when I found out I'd have to pay extra in order to reserve a seat on my long haul flights. It just feels so LCC.

HTB.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by htb
..When I pay a premium and find the offering is on par with an LCC, I'll think twice before returning. Just happened again yesterday when I found out I'd have to pay extra in order to reserve a seat on my long haul flights. It just feels so LCC...
An LCC with an LCC FFP that is. Ex SIN there exist no more affordable coach fares on LH. The lowest fare for which I can use a UA Systemwide ug is 30%+ more expensive than PE. And 50%+ more expensive than BA PE for my needs. LH PE gives me 100% miles on UA and randomly changing bonus miles. BA PE gives me 225% on AA and 3x32kg bags etc etc.

Sure the BA product mildly inferior once on board and you have to put up with the food and the accent ... but on the FFP side alone there is no competition. I pay less and get some 2 longhauls on Cathay pro anno more out of it a year.
Oh ... and many more upgrades. So I really only book LH when the price is right. Really, really right.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I believe if LH management stays with the same approach to cost cutting and F cabin pricing, then I predict that in 5 to 10 years LH will drop F completely and become a carrier similar to SAS and AC with only 3 classes of service: J and Y+ and Y.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I believe if LH management stays with the same approach to cost cutting and F cabin pricing, then I predict that in 5 to 10 years LH will drop F completely and become a carrier similar to SAS and AC with only 3 classes of service: J and Y+ and Y.
Which is quite ideal for a country with de facto a single carrier. A huge country sure ... but just one airline.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:23 pm

Per a conversation with AirlineRoute guy, they claim that LH has reloaded F inventory to these flights in GDS. Not sure I buy into it, unless LH leaked this too early or changed their minds on the dates. Trying to confirm with trusty sources.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
As do people who fly F on points
Bazinga!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: LH Senator
http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/03/l...h-16h2update2/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.