Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Any updates here? Anyone have one?
Old May 3, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by Lack
Is the servicable though? Like remove the complete module and put in a new one (from behind for example)?
It is detachable and looks like it can be fixed/replaced.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Per Rimowa the module carrys the same warranty as the luggage itself. In terms of hammering it as close to original shape as possible when damaged within 5 years.

So if the screen breaks they will replace the plastic piece up top. But if the LCD is damaged I doubt they will replace it.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
..So if the screen breaks they will replace the plastic piece up top. But if the LCD is damaged I doubt they will replace it.
What is the difference between the screen and the LCD???
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by weero
What is the difference between the screen and the LCD???
If the damage is so large that it goes through the screen cover and damages whatever is below it(electronic components). That will not be repaired.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
If the damage is so large that it goes through the screen cover and damages whatever is below it(electronic components). That will not be repaired.
That is depressing.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by weero
That is depressing.
Exactly because if the glass/plastic cover receives impact than whatever is below will be hurt also.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Any updates here? Anyone have one?
I've got one...on a Lufthansa edition Limbo.
Let me know if you want any details or pictures.

My only complaint right now is I'm an Android (Nexus 6p) user, and they only have an iOS app currently. I have an iPhone that I use for work stuff, so its not totally useless to me.
I'll be traveling LH a bunch this summer, so we'll see how convenient it really is.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA Plat
The etag bags have been percolating and I saw a bunch of them at KaDeWe in Berlin a few weeks ago. The screens feel quite durable (from what I can tell, they're not made of glass... more like a super durable plastic). I can see it getting scratched/scuffed up way more than getting shattered or torn to pieces.

I'm not planning to upgrade my Rimowas. I fly a lot on LH but still live in the US and therefore no US carriers really use this. If I go on the market for another Rimowa, though, I'll definitely consider just getting the e-tag version though.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I'm curious, but not curious enough to get one. I also saw these at KaDeWe a couple weeks ago, and they look pretty durable.

I am looking to get a new carry-on luggage, since it appears that luggage rules have become even more stringent recently, particularly on the low-cost carriers that dominate many direct flight routes from Berlin. I asked the agent if the etags exist for the carry-on size, and she said no, because it's not a check-in size! Simple as that...
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:46 am

Please update us if these are any how useful or very prone to damage.

They look cool but for 50 euro more I wouldn't mind.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Cybertronic
..they only have an iOS app currently..
Thanks for the warning ^ !
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I think the most interesting thing about this is the possibility of through checking itineraries on separate PNRs.

Has anybody tried this yet?

Although for now this would only be possible with itineraries involving two separate LH tickets. With the new OW rules stating that through checking isn't compulsory, this could make things interesting, once more airlines adopt the system.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:26 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I believe it has been asked before: apart from the "cool" factor, what problem does this tag solve, or why would it be a convenience? You still have to drop of your bag, and getting a piece of paper printed at that time doesn't appear to be too much of an issue. I don't think I'll invest in an electronic tag any time soon that is only supported by one airline and one suitcase manufacturer and only accessible through an iOS phone.

Are there any plans in sight of other airlines and other suitcase manufacturers supporting this technology in the near future? If not, this looks like a dead end to me.

HTB.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 1:54 pm

I suppose the number of damaged electronic tags might be lower then the number of paper tags that got torn away from the luggage, but there's probably little data yet to support this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.