Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Old May 17, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Is 747-4 as nice

I have had reservations on LH 2 times with the high expectation of having my first ride on a 747. Both times I had searched and planned out our trip for a 747-8 but we were put on different carriers because of strikes.

On a return flight we did, however, experience LH Business class on an A330 and it was a delightful experience.

I'd like to share that experience with my friend when we travel to Italy. From DTW the A330 has been replaced with a 747-4.

I would appreciate some input if this 747-4 will be as nice as the A330. If so, where is your favorite seat location? I've read other threads saying their seat assignments were changed from the ones they chose. Is this a normal practice?

I will need to reserve this through United since I don't have enough SPG points to move to LH. It goes against my penny pinching personality to pay 70K for each seat when LH only charges 52,5K but I'm consoling myself that I earn Ultimate Reward points much easier than SPG.

Thank you for any help.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I assume you are in business class given the 70K miles/seat. I would say that the 747-4 is not as nice on the interior as the 330, but I still love sitting in the upper deck of a 747.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: LH FTL
It depends ...
I flew the 747 on the upper deck and the A340-600 recently and of course I was more excited to fly the 747..
However the business class on my 747 flight was fully booked and the lunch service took forever ..
I liked the service on the A340 more ...also one of the lavatories was quite big even had a window.
Id say the LH business class experience doesn't differ that much when it comes to aircraft type , but rather crew, load factor etc..
Old May 17, 2017, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by gardengirl
It goes against my penny pinching personality to pay 70K for each seat when LH only charges 52,5K but I'm consoling myself that I earn Ultimate Reward points much easier than SPG.
The UA ticket is cheaper, since UA does not impose fuel surcharges.

Go for a seat on the upper deck. "As nice" is totally subjective, but it's the same seat as the 330 and the UD is a unique flight experience.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by fanb
It depends ...
I flew the 747 on the upper deck and the A340-600 recently and of course I was more excited to fly the 747..
However the business class on my 747 flight was fully booked and the lunch service took forever ..
I liked the service on the A340 more ...also one of the lavatories was quite big even had a window.
Id say the LH business class experience doesn't differ that much when it comes to aircraft type , but rather crew, load factor etc..
We had that large lavatory on our A340 also. What a unique experience!
Old May 17, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The UA ticket is cheaper, since UA does not impose fuel surcharges.

Go for a seat on the upper deck. "As nice" is totally subjective, but it's the same seat as the 330 and the UD is a unique flight experience.
Thanks for the validation for using UA

I got seats 81 A & C, the first row of Business. (Edited to say I called back and took 83 A & C). The first Lufthansa rep said he couldn't see any lavatories on upper deck of our flight. The 2nd one said lavatories were behind row 86.

In the past when I've gone to SeatGuru there were cautions about noise from wind going over nose of plane for those front seats.

Last edited by gardengirl; May 17, 2017 at 4:01 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:41 am

Lufthansa LH491 SEA to FRA Plane Questions

I had a few questions that I need some help figuring out. Couldn't find exact answers searching around.

My specs: I am flying in seat 85A, window seat, upper deck, business class, 9 hour flight.

1) What is the power situation?
Example: 1 USB and 1 AC power plug that fits USA styled plugs
Or 1 USB, etc.

2) Any personal air vents in the overhead?

3) What size carry on suit cases fit in the overhead of the upper deck?
- I have 21" spinner carry-on.
Will it fit?
If not, where would they put it?

4). Any disadvantages to seat 85A (window seat)?

5) Cabin temp on upper deck? Any issues?

6) Getting on and off the plane, how do they board and exit folks on the plane? Are upper deck passengers allowed on and off first or last?

7) wifi?

8) For the entertainment, did you feel that there was enough variety for a 9 hour flight?

9) Any other tips or things to know?

Thank you for any advice you may post. I've not been on a 9 hour flight before and fear the unknown and of being bored or hot on a plane for that long.

Thank you!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by skanknpunx
I had a few questions that I need some help figuring out. Couldn't find exact answers searching around.

My specs: I am flying in seat 85A, window seat, upper deck, business class, 9 hour flight.

1) What is the power situation?
Example: 1 USB and 1 AC power plug that fits USA styled plugs
Or 1 USB, etc.

2) Any personal air vents in the overhead?

3) What size carry on suit cases fit in the overhead of the upper deck?
- I have 21" spinner carry-on.
Will it fit?
If not, where would they put it?

4). Any disadvantages to seat 85A (window seat)?

5) Cabin temp on upper deck? Any issues?

6) Getting on and off the plane, how do they board and exit folks on the plane? Are upper deck passengers allowed on and off first or last?

7) wifi?

8) For the entertainment, did you feel that there was enough variety for a 9 hour flight?

9) Any other tips or things to know?

Thank you for any advice you may post. I've not been on a 9 hour flight before and fear the unknown and of being bored or hot on a plane for that long.

Thank you!
1: Power: 2 (shared) outlets in the middle between each seat pair. Fits US and European plugs.

2: No air vents.

3: the overheads are smaller than normal, but you will have the side bins you can use between the seat and window on the UD. A 21" might just fit in the overhead, if not they will find space elsewhere.

4: disadvantage of 85A is 85C, your neighbor who you may have to disturb when you get in/out of the seat. Otherwise this is as good a seat as you can get on LH.

5: no temperature issues that I have ever experienced, although this is very personal in that some people are always cold or always too warm. A shirt and sweater will usually be enough to adapt, bring comfortable clothes especially if you intend to sleep. Blankets are available, and some extras are often at your disposal should you be cold.

6: for boarding this depends on where you are flying from, some places are better at enforcing priority boarding than others. I have no experience at SEA. No difference between C UD and LD though, just turn left, right or take the stairs from door 2L. In terms of leaving the plane the UD pax will usually queue on the stairs and then leave along with the other C pax. If you need to get off the plane quickly the UD is not best, although the rows further back have the advantage that you can get down the stairs relatively quickly.

7: FlyNet should be available but check coverage depending on your flight path.

8: there is not enough for 9 hours unless you are not at all picky, or want to watch for example 6 James Bond movies if that's what they have. Bring an iPad and a book though an you will be just fine. On the transatlantic you should also sleep some 6 hours at least.

9: don't worry about the length of the flight. Spend time eating, watching a movie, sleeping, reading a book, working and before you know it you will be at your destination.

Depending on your preferences with regard to jet lag, you might want to eat at the airport before your flight and try to sleep soon after take-off; alternatively eat on the plane and sleep after the dinner service, skip breakfast unless you have to go to work straight after the flight. The extra sleep can be worth it.

Have a good flight!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
LH B744 fleet

If I'm not wrong, there are still n.13 B744 in service. My question is if all of them are updated with modern IFE in Y cabin?
Thanks.
The list found on www.airfleets.net shows:
D-ABVO
D-ABVP
D-ABVR
D-ABVS
D-ABVT
D-ABVM
D-ABVU
D-ABVW
D-ABVX
D-ABVY
D-ABVZ
D-ABTK
D-ABTL
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Short answer: YES
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Hello,

I'm booked using an UA saver award on LH480 FRA-SEA October 23rd. It's listed as a 747-400 and Seatguru has the J seats listed as 150 degree recline.

Is this true? I thought all of LH long haul business was 180 lay flat seats?

I think I'd be willing to eat the fee to cancel the booking to switch to another routing if so. I don't need the latest and greatest but I do draw the line at an angled-flat seat for 10 hours.

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:29 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Hello,

I'm booked using an UA saver award on LH480 FRA-SEA October 23rd. It's listed as a 747-400 and Seatguru has the J seats listed as 150 degree recline.

Is this true? I thought all of LH long haul business was 180 lay flat seats?

I think I'd be willing to eat the fee to cancel the booking to switch to another routing if so. I don't need the latest and greatest but I do draw the line at an angled-flat seat for 10 hours.

Thanks!
Don't trust what seatguru tells you about LH seating! All LH longhaul business seats are the same lie-flat seats.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: United Platinum
Thanks! Any better/worse seats on the upper deck? We are currently in 82 A/C. We like a quieter seat.

Do they cater the plane so that almost everyone gets their first choice entree? We usually like sitting toward the front for a better chance, but maybe that's a cost-cutting UA problem.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Thanks! Any better/worse seats on the upper deck? We are currently in 82 A/C. We like a quieter seat.

Do they cater the plane so that almost everyone gets their first choice entree? We usually like sitting toward the front for a better chance, but maybe that's a cost-cutting UA problem.
in row 82 you will be fine!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A quick straw poll: 81C or 4K (or 14K)? The upper deck has a strong, strong allure on this dying breed but it is arguably the worst seat up top and also I'm trying to make a 1h21 connect at YVR at the end of this flight. I'm also a window person, but I have my doubts about 4K as it seems completely open to the lavs and the crew jumpseat behind 4H.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.