Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

I'm flying in Business on a Lufthansa 747-400. Seatguru indicates that Seat 1A has extra legroom and is a good seat. Any confirmation of this or caveats that I should know about? Any other better seat?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
You might want to check the seating thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ng-thread.html

You'll find a lot of discussion of 1A and the other seats in C on the 747. Hope that helps!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
I'm flying in Business on a Lufthansa 747-400. Seatguru indicates that Seat 1A has extra legroom and is a good seat. Any confirmation of this or caveats that I should know about? Any other better seat?
In my opinion its the best in the nose section of the 747. More spacious and the IFE screen is moveable!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
IME, 1A and 1K are the quietest non-F seats on the aircraft. If you want to sleep and/or not be disturbed, these are good seats. If you like to get up and wander once in a while, and you don't want to climb over people or have people climbing over you, you might consider 4D (lone middle seat). I got stuck 4D one time, and it turned out to be better than I expected (no one next to you).

In both cases (1A/K, 4D) you will have to store your hand luggage overhead, so if you choose 1A/K made sure you remember to grab personal items you want to use in flight before and put them where you can easily reach them to avoid climbing over the person in 1B/J.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. I also read the other thread that was referenced by dcmike.

I booked 1A and my only concern is getting up to go to the restroom. I like to have the freedom to do that and often take aisle seats for that purpose. But row 1 seems to have more room so I should be able to climb over my seatmate with relative ease. Right?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Thanks for all the advice. I also read the other thread that was referenced by dcmike.

I booked 1A and my only concern is getting up to go to the restroom. I like to have the freedom to do that and often take aisle seats for that purpose. But row 1 seems to have more room so I should be able to climb over my seatmate with relative ease. Right?
It is relatively easy to get out of 1A or 1K - you also can store your luggage in the closet right at the front for easy access. These are my two favorite J seats on 744s.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:37 pm

As others said 1a/k are quiet, my favorite if all I want is sleep. For daytime flights I personally don't like looking at a wall for 8 hours and pick a seat a few rows back which gives me at least somewhat of a 'view'.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Try 4D ^ the best seat while flying solo on overnight flights
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH/LX
Try 4D ^ the best seat while flying solo on overnight flights
Thanks. I considered that seat but waited too long and it is gone.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
So I have a daytime flight and am in 4D. I do enjoy the window - espeically during landing and whatnot and it appears that 1A has opened up on my flight. Do I switch? Or is 4D really that good?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
1A is my favorite seat in the Biz class section, independently it is is a day or night flight.
I do not mind facing a wall because big part of the flight I am reading.
Also I try to sleep for a few hours , and 4D is not so good for it on day flights.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by doug_999
So I have a daytime flight and am in 4D. I do enjoy the window - espeically during landing and whatnot and it appears that 1A has opened up on my flight. Do I switch? Or is 4D really that good?
Originally Posted by saviox
1A is my favorite seat in the Biz class section, independently it is is a day or night flight.
I do not mind facing a wall because big part of the flight I am reading.
Also I try to sleep for a few hours , and 4D is not so good for it on day flights.
I agree with saviox. Overall, 1a/k is quieter and if a window is important, 4D will not do for you. The windows in 1a/k are also a little unique in that you can see almost directly forward becasue of the curve in fuselage. 4D is perfect if you don't like to climb over someone or to be climbed over.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:03 pm

B 747-400 (744) seats

Hello anyone flew Frankfurt to SEA before on flight LH490? It's really hard to find a review on that one and I am flying solo, their seats are 2-2-2 except one 4D but it's on the main deck not upper deck. Are there any differences between the upper and main deck? also, is 4D a good seat? Seat guru states that the seat is just a standard seat.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by flybie
Hello anyone flew Frankfurt to SEA before on flight LH490? It's really hard to find a review on that one and I am flying solo, their seats are 2-2-2 except one 4D but it's on the main deck not upper deck. Are there any differences between the upper and main deck? also, is 4D a good seat? Seat guru states that the seat is just a standard seat.
It's a single seat in the nose of the jumbo. I would feel kind of exposed there. Would anyway prefer a seat in the upper deck (much smaller cabin).

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Seat_maps_B747-400
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
Go for upper deck, 2-2 seating there. As stated above, much smaller cabin and more private feeling, also more quiet. Otherwise, no solo seats in LH C (except the odd 4D).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.