Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa 747-8 J or Austrian 767 J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:03 am
Original Poster

LH 747-8 Biz vs OS 767-300 Biz

I am currently booked in Business class on OS66 767-300 ORD-VIE on 1/5 with a 7 hour layover before heading to FRA using UA Awards. I don't mind the layover as I have enough time to leave the airport if I wanted or just explore VIE and it's amenities and lounge. Time isn't the issues.

I just checked and found I can switch to LH431 on the 748 that gets me in to FRA directly with the "new" biz.

I was really looking forward to the OS biz because of the food/seats/and the coffee! I have only flown LH Biz once and it was the old business on the A346 from ORD-MUC in Sept '13.

I'm only 5'8" so the longer seat on LH isn't an issue for me and the seat is only a 1" wider so no problems there. Both lie flat, with multiple entertainment options.

My main concern is going to be the quality of service and food. I am torn between the two and want to experience the best possible flight. LH is 8.5 hour and OS is 9.5 hour long. Again, the layover and time of arrival are of no issue to me.

Any input from the more experienced flyers here would be greatly appreciated.

I searched a bit and didn't find what I was looking for in terms of comparing the two, so please merge this thread if necessary.

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Buy a decent cup of coffee somewhere outside of the airport and take the direct flight.... way better than what you are doing now. The 748 is quite nice.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:11 am

7 hours is long enough to experience VIE.

Also, the new OS C is definitely better than the LH C, especially the food.

Go with Austrian.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
7 hours is long enough to experience VIE.

Also, the new OS C is definitely better than the LH C, especially the food.

Go with Austrian.
Agree with OS being a better choice in general. However if the flight in question is in December, the OS service might not be that stellar as discussed in this thread.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Agree with OS being a better choice in general. However if the flight in question is in December, the OS service might not be that stellar as discussed in this thread.
OP already mentioned that its in january (5)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by kanor
OP already mentioned that its in january (5)
mea culpa, missed that completely
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
if time is not an issue, take the OS flights and throw a short visit to the city.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
New LH J seat is nothing to write home about and food and service are inferior to OS
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:31 am
Original Poster

LH 747-8 Biz vs OS 767-300 Biz

I knew I could rely in you guys. I'll stick with my OS booking and make a short day trip into Vienna for lunch.

the link to the thread isn't working for me. is there any more information about the service on OS in December?

Edit: found it on page 1. Glad I am not affected by the staff shortage. Feel bad for the ones that are.

danke schön

Last edited by PJV33; Dec 7, 2013 at 6:39 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
Lufthansa 747-8 J or Austrian 767 J

Which would you choose if you had a choice. Lufthansa 747-8 or Austrian 767 for business class. The flights originate in IAD and connect to either FRA and VIE respectively, with my final destination at BEG. 2 hour layover in FRA and 4 in VIE. Opinions?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: LH HON**, Bonvoy Titanium
My preference would be the upper deck of the 747 - but that's very subjective. Depends on what you want to do on board. Seats are equally good, although the Austrian solo window seat gives you a bit more privacy, and space to store your belongings while working. Food on OS is typically much better than on LH (including superb Viennese coffees). LH has the advantage of on-board wifi (not available on OS) and the 747-800 is the sexiest aircraft around...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Both great choices. OS actually has better seats IMO, with direct access. But the UD of the 748i is, as Worldhopper says, awesome. One other thing -- I'd way rather connect in smaller VIE than the labyrinth of FRA. FRA can be fine if you're lucky with gates, but if not...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Both great choices. OS actually has better seats IMO, with direct access. But the UD of the 748i is, as Worldhopper says, awesome. One other thing -- I'd way rather connect in smaller VIE than the labyrinth of FRA. FRA can be fine if you're lucky with gates, but if not...
2+ hours should be fine for FRA, right? How is the UD of the 748? I read that there might be a little less room than LD and the the seats are angled more together which could allow for some footsie action with our seatmate. There are three of us in the party, so my wife and child would sit together, whereas Im with someone else
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: LH HON**, Bonvoy Titanium
The seat angle on LH is a non issue really IMO - not sure why people are whining about it. The seating plan on OS would indeed allow you to sit solo in a window seat, and your two companions in the middle seats. Also agree that VIE is an easier airport to transfer through (unless you're HON or flying F), and with a four-hour layover you could pop into the city for a coffee (train is 4,40 for one or two pax, don't take the City Airport Train but rather the S7 line). Two hours is ok in FRA too.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I'd probably select the flights based on the schedule.
Later departure in IAD would be my choice in order to be able to sleep as best and long as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.