Wiki Posts
Search

Award taxes/fees/surcharges - Rant thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Award taxes/fees/surcharges - Rant thread

M&M has been perfecting the rip-off (taxes/fees/surcharges) on awards vs what is charged for the equivalent revenue ticket.

This thread is really just to vent the frustration as the topic appears across many threads. And a bit of public shaming can only be good for change to occur.

so, to my rant

Exhibit A

>1000 CAD for an award flight vs the respective revenue ticket for a YYZ-GVA-JFK Biz ticket.
Details here

Our FT LH team's feedback on these made-up charges:
Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines
Dear GBM.flight - please be advised that the fees and surcharges are levied on all tickets. Lufthansa carries some of these fees on certain revenue tickets in order to stay competitive. This is simply not possible with award tickets, as they are paid for with miles. We are unable to furnish you with any additional information.
Best regards, Ella
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I fail to see anything newsworthy here in this thread.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: LX HON Circle
Ex some countries like NZ/BR...there is no YQ on awards. Booked today gru-muc-dus for a total of CHF 80.- in taxes and fees. A dream.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I only use M&M award tickets ex countries without YQ these days. And I'm buring through my stash while putting all new earn elsewhere.

No more Miles & More for me.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by airoli
. And I'm buring through my stash while putting all new earn elsewhere.
No more Miles & More for me.
Banking where? I have yet to find a suitable program. Being DUS based currently being a SEN is mandatory as we often have to take 4U. But next year is a dead year for me so I could bank somewhere else. Maybe UA 1k. Unrealistic though as most of my longhauls are on SQ.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:38 am
Suspended

Maybe UA 1k.
UA 1k does not really give you more benefits than UA Premier Gold, esp. if you are located at DUS, which has no UA flights.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:53 am

1K gives more rewards, be it SWUs, extra miles or waived fees.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
Banking where?
By the end of this month, I will be TK*G until 04/2021.

From that moment, my miles will probably end up in UA or maybe AC, since "redeemability" (i.e. seat availability x fees) will be the prime concern.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:28 am
Suspended

1K gives more rewards, be it SWUs, extra miles or waived fees.
Sure, but how would it help a passenger, who is based in DUS (with no UA metal service according to my knowledge)?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Sure, but how would it help a passenger, who is based in DUS (with no UA metal service according to my knowledge)?
There's plenty of destination not served by LH but served by UA, so the passenger might end up on their planes anyway.
Not to mention the SWUs working on actual LH flights, mileage bonus working on LH flights and waived fees working for LH flights (awards).
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Not to mention the SWUs working on actual LH flights
Not available is most fare classes.

The following Lufthansa fare classes are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: Z, P, V, W, S, T, N, L, K, R, X, I, O,
mileage bonus working on LH flights
Only if UA issued the ticket.
If I read the page correctly, then 1k wont give passenger any bonus for flights after March 1, 2015.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=298
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:04 pm

Not available is most fare classes.
True, but not disqualifying.

Only if UA issued the ticket.
If I read the page correctly, then 1k wont give passenger any bonus for flights after March 1, 2015.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=298
You're not reading it correctly.
"MileagePlus Premier members receive the following mileage bonuses for flights flown before March 1, 2015, and on tickets that do not start with "016" purchased from an airline other than United or from a travel agency or other travel website for flights flown on or after March 1, 2015."
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:54 pm

I would do 1k for the upgr vouchers only. I would then use them on LH to upgr to F. I am not looking for *G privileges as I already have 3 of them (SEN, SQ PPS and A3 Gold). But then again on my main route to SIN upgrades are hard to come by. And why all this lottery when I can just take SQ.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by airoli
By the end of this month, I will be TK*G until 04/2021.

From that moment, my miles will probably end up in UA or maybe AC, since "redeemability" (i.e. seat availability x fees) will be the prime concern.
But surely you still have to pay the absurd surcharges and fines with these programmes? Isn't there a requirement with TK to do a minimum number of segments on their own metal, a bit like on BA and UA. I am tempted by A3 Gold but I seem to recall that it is not as easy to get these days as it used to be.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
But surely you still have to pay the absurd surcharges and fines with these programmes?
@:-) No carrier-imposed surcharges on any redemptions with UA miles. Carrier-imposed surcharges only on some airlines when redeeming AC miles. No minimum carrier requirement to reach TK tier status (although with 20+ TK segments, that would not have been an issue).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.