Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does Lufthansa release award seats to Star Alliance partners?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

When does Lufthansa release award seats to Star Alliance partners?

Noticed that on M&M website I can book Lufthansa award flights (business and first) quite in advance, sometimes even months ahead.

However it does seem to release those awards to Star Alliance (e.g. when browsing via ANA or United) much later, usually very last minute, a day or two before the departure.

It's a shame because redeeming M&M miles is quite expensive with their ~$400 in taxes and fees for every redemption.

Anyone knows if there's a specific pattern? Or is it completely dynamic?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Depends on the route and the class of service. More info on F awards is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...tner-ffps.html
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by kinimodb
Anyone knows if there's a specific pattern? Or is it completely dynamic?
From what I read in different forums, LH releases F award seats to other *A members only 14 days in advance. With J they are more flexible and they release seats much more in advance.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I did read that.

But actually I'm primarily wondering about business class. The new upgraded seats (full bed) are comfortable enough for long haul flights and I can save a lot of miles, compared to First.

Do you think the same rules apply?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by kinimodb

Do you think the same rules apply?
I don't think so. It seems that J class seats are released much earlier than F seats, however, it is still subject to controled capacity.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: CO
I have been in the process of trying to book a LH first award for next week for 2 persons from NYC-BKK and have had some bacd luck with snagging seats that keep disappearing. I have booked many, many LH F rewards in the past, but most recently it seems like availability has not been opening up as the departure date approaches. I realize they release the inventory within 2 weeks of departure, but my question is if they continually release more as the flight date approaches? Does anyone know the answer to this. I'm wondering if I should book less than ideal flights just to have my bases covered or wait to see if anything opens up. There appears to be seats available on the flights I want, just not in O class. Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:13 am

It all comes down to the individual flight this short to departure.
But you gave the answer yourself, you just need to weigh in if you are willing to pay the change/cancel fee for the award. This we can't decide for you.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I don't think so. It seems that J class seats are released much earlier than F seats, however, it is still subject to controled capacity.
J seats are definitely released earlier than F seats but so much of it is seasonal and route dependent.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:51 pm

Since LH does not fly with F-cabin into BKK anymore there isn't much to wait for.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Any further info on release of C seats to partners- I'm seeing availability for IAD-FRA using miles and more but wold love to use other mileage currency to book!
thanks
FDW
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat
MUC or FRA?

I have the option of booking LH either DEN-MUC-DEN or DEN-FRA-DEN for travel in May 2017. Any ideas as to which of these routes is more likely to release I inventory for a *A upgrade?

Last edited by economyplusfan; Mar 30, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.