Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping and continuing my exploration with this. The two instruments are slightly confusing. In the case of plusgrade the baggage allowance is adjusted to business, in the cash upgrade it stays the same.

I've tried the cash upgrade and it comes back saying its not possible because taken on their own those flights are closed in P. But as married segments and as part of my overall journey LH still show P3 with both the POS of my origin and the departure. In the face of the industry norm it seems it only processes when that particular segment taken on its own has the booking class available.

Whats even more odd is the baggage allowance. Either because the pax chooses to or the system refuses their offer you could end up with a situation where only one segment is upgraded via the offer system and the other isn't. It seems very odd, especially if the pax tried but was refused, that the second segment would keep the old baggage allowance which could be 0. It would have made more sense to make the bid and the cash upgrade the same for baggage to stop this peculiar situation because one segment benefitting and another not is for the most pax entirely useless.

Finally, LH told me that the offer system is not subject to P class being available (corresponding with the cash upgrade table) and even on a K ticket it could be accepted. I asked if they would reissue into P because that is how the cash upgrades map and the answer is "don't know". It would be unusual for a K ticket to map to say C. Either its the cheapest business booking class available or the corresponding fare class as per the cash upgrade table on LH.com. Judging from the FTer who upgraded from X to P, I believe it sticks to the cash upgrade fare mapping.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Also experiencing some of the same confusion. My bids were today accepted (MAN-MUC for EUR85, then MUC-DUS for EUR65). To be honest, I was hoping only one of them would be accepted, but there you go. Not sure if I have the right to a free bag now, as MAN-MUC seems to have a baggage allowance, but MUC-DUS not. The two flights are consecutive, with not stopover/layover. Original class was K, new class is P.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just completed MAN-MUC and it was pretty uninspiring and unimaginative. A cold meal, as mentioned further upthread, which wasn't too bad (it's harder to screw up cold meals, but it can happen), and poor wine with no choice (just one bottle) and no further round of drinks. Basically, economy class of about 15 years ago, although there might have been a hot meal on this route about 20 years ago. I hope LH doesn't go the way of BA. At some point I will write a comparison of LH, LX and OS short haul service.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by Concerto
Just completed MAN-MUC and it was pretty uninspiring and unimaginative. A cold meal, as mentioned further upthread, which wasn't too bad (it's harder to screw up cold meals, but it can happen), and poor wine with no choice (just one bottle) and no further round of drinks. Basically, economy class of about 15 years ago, although there might have been a hot meal on this route about 20 years ago. I hope LH doesn't go the way of BA. At some point I will write a comparison of LH, LX and OS short haul service.
Is there a "little menu"?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: LH FTL
The numerous ways of upgrade are a bit confusing even for the check in agents..
I upgraded a flight on OS via Plusgrade , got upgraded from K Light to P and the system during check in still showed Business P with baggage allowance 0.
However they checked me 2 bags without problems.

Another thing is if you upgrade during OLCI or get an op-up ... Then the boarding pass and reservation shows business C but you have economy baggage allowance and miles..

But the system ''improved'' recently , for example a year ago I rebooked a LH ticket from K to V due to time change.And then I rebooked it again as a V-class ticket. I did it for a friend and was a hero cos i basically made a non-refunduble ticket refunduble and she got 1500 miles instead of 250

however this year when i did the same i got from K to S due to schedule change .. but when tried to rebook it i got back to K
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Is there a "little menu"?
There certainly used to be. I thought it was a nice touch.

Just to add, the completely full MUC-DUS flight this afternoon was much better, with a decent and proactive crew. Same crap wine, though. While waiting at the entrance during the slow boarding process, I got to see the passenger list. Business was stuffed full of SENs, with one HON and me the solitary FTL. Cabin seemed to be full of Tengelmann and Edeka chief types, with their newspapers spread in the air, refusing all catering.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bit I can't get my head around is if the offer on a connecting flight isn't accepted (perhaps even for the full "strong chance" amount €180 or so :O) you can't make use of the higher baggage allowance that the upgrade gives you. That's just stupid.

Hence your MAN-MUC would be 2x32kg and MUC-DUS 0 if originally on a Light fare. What use is checking 2 bags to MUC when you continue to DUS- why include it as a benefit unless it can be honoured for the full journey.

By the way, what RBC were your upgrades booked into?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's how the baggage was on the receipt: MAN-MUC was 2x32kg and MUC-DUS 0. Luckily I didn't need to check a bag as I originally thought but just carried everything in a Swiss Migros bag. The upgrade appeared to book into P-class. Having done this and tried it, I won't do it again for flights under 3 hours.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think your baggage allowance was a mistake because you did the bid for both flights and when accepted you get the higher C baggage allowance.

It's just generally ridiculous that the upgrades have extra baggage in the first place or it doesn't follow through for non-upgraded segments.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Bid/Plusgrade upgrades will always have the full benefits (higher baggage etc), fixed price upgrades always remain in the previous benefit level.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oddly enough, I only got charged for one upgrade though. So far.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH told me today that they would "unofficially" check (additional) bags through to final dest even if only one flight is upgraded.

Guess I'll test it next week.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrade was accepted only on first flight to FRA. The booking page now shows my allowance as 2 pieces (really will be 3) let's see what happens at the airport.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
LH ticket mileage earning after cash upgrade

Hi -

Given I can no longer buy intra-European LH tix on UA.com I ended up buying a cheap Eco ticket on LH.com.
I was then offered to buy up to Biz for EUR99 amount or "make an offer". I offered EUR60 and it got approved. Ticket was reissued into P fare.

Does anybody know if those flights post as P fares with 1.5x miles on UA (im accruing to United) or will I only get Eco mileage per my original ticket?

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
My experience with LH cash upgrades is that you get the mileage based off of the upgraded class. So, you'll get miles for P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.