Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Gold Benefits on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Star Alliance Gold Benefits on Lufthansa

I'm flying Lufthansa from the US to Europe in Economy.

I am a United Gold / Star Alliance Gold member. What benefits will I have for my flight?

I ask because if it is minimal I'd rather use a different mileage program for my mileage accrual.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:03 pm

Status benefits =/= mileage accrual. You can have your benefits (lounge access, additional baggage) by just showing your UA*G card, and then crediting somewhere else (not like there are any other great options for coach travel).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
You will get priority check in and lounge access. They might try keep the seat next to you empty, and might call you by name.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:09 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Don't forget free excess baggage (does not apply to recently introduced Light fares).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: TG*Gold
Star Alliance Gold let me take free of charge baggage and I don't really care what Lufthasa is writing on their website. I haven't seen yet any changes on Star Alliance website about Gold member benefits. If Lufthansa will do that after 1 Oct. of course is against Star Alliance Gold benefits rules.
breakthrough37 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by phrasuthon
Star Alliance Gold let me take free of charge baggage and I don't really care what Lufthasa is writing on their website. I haven't seen yet any changes on Star Alliance website about Gold member benefits. If Lufthansa will do that after 1 Oct. of course is against Star Alliance Gold benefits rules.
In the end, LH will enforce their own rules (just like LX already does)
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I haven't seen yet any changes on Star Alliance website about Gold member benefits. If Lufthansa will do that after 1 Oct. of course is against Star Alliance Gold benefits rules.
Do not be naive! NZ is doing this practise for quite some time now. There has been no consequences taken against NZ.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't be silly.

*A is simply a marketing alliance. You buy your ticket from a given carrier to fly that carrier or another. The rules governing baggage allowance are established by the operating carrier of your flight and are published by the operating carrier. You agree to those rules when you buy a ticket. If you don't agree, don't buy the ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: TG*Gold
"As a Gold Status holder you can choose not to travel light" - That's what the Star Alliance says. Or I miessed something and Lufthansa quits Star Alliance soon.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/

Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: LH HON
"As a Gold Status holder you can choose not to travel light" - That's what the Star Alliance says. Or I miessed something and Lufthansa quits Star Alliance soon.

But light fares specifically state that they are excluded from this. Specific agreement/rule trumps general rule...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
But light fares specifically state that they are excluded from this. Specific agreement/rule trumps general rule...
Shouldn't that be the other way around? No sense calling it a general rule otherwise (not like it really held up anyway with the whole NZ case).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Star Alliance isn't the government. LH is smart to follow *A standards most times to appear at a certain standard of quality. However, given pressures from carriers like DY to offer extremely low fares, LHR recognizes that it needs to offer a LIGHT product. But LH knows that this customer segment is price driven, and therefore reduces the loyalty offering to increase revenue (bag fees). You always have the choice to buy the standard fares as before.

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
LH increased prices by adding bag fees - just get over it...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL

It also says, as you have underlined:"
3. This benefit may only be available if travelling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket.
LH light fares cannot be bought on an interline ticket, can they?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:19 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
After LX started to sell fares without luggage allowance, the rules were changed. http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/: look at footnote number 3.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.