Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to avoid LH Fuel Surcharge on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
How to avoid LH Fuel Surcharge on award ticket?

Hi there,

I have about 100k miles still sitting on my dormant M+M account (no more status on M+M). Those miles are slated for expiration soon (I think).

Never used these miles as the fuel surcharge truly kills the benefit of using miles via M+M.

Are there any options to use these miles on award travel by avoiding that expensive fuel surcharge (different Star Alliance member, etc.)?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Best way would be to use them for US domestic flights, preferrably United PS on transcontinental routes. But otherwise you can fly EVA Air, since they have very low fuel surcharges. Last I checked, a transpacific segment would only have around $100 in fuel surcharge one-way, which is pretty decent in my books.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyertalkTW
Never used these miles as the fuel surcharge truly kills the benefit of using miles via M+M.
Seriously??
One way LAX-Europe Lufthansa First is 85,000 plus $455 or about the same cost as United's 110,000 miles plus $5.60.
Plus you get better availability not just inside the last week or so.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Seriously??
One way LAX-Europe Lufthansa First is 85,000 plus $455 or about the same cost as United's 110,000 miles plus $5.60.
Plus you get better availability not just inside the last week or so.
I am a little confused by your response.

In general, I would rather spend 25k miles and safe $449.40. Do you feel that the opposite is more beneficial? I, for my part, prefer to keep my cash but use miles wherever possible.

On M+M award availability: I have tried and tried and tried and tried again but I never have found a suitable flight with seat availability with a travel window of 2 month. Noted that I was a Silver *A at that time and a bottom feeder.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
In general, I would rather spend 25k miles and safe $449.40. Do you feel that the opposite is more beneficial? I, for my part, prefer to keep my cash but use miles wherever possible.
Different strokes but I consider 1.8 cents per mile a good price especially when redeeming for a $5-$8K ticket. Even better when you can plan your trip in advance and not have to wait until the last week wondering whether seats are going to open on the day you've planned to travel.

As for availability, sure you may have to be flexible and be patient, but in the end there is availability.
We've taken 20+ LH First mileage trips in the past 6-7 years and always found flights.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Best way would be to use them for US domestic flights, preferrably United PS on transcontinental routes. But otherwise you can fly EVA Air, since they have very low fuel surcharges. Last I checked, a transpacific segment would only have around $100 in fuel surcharge one-way, which is pretty decent in my books.
Thank you. I will try that again.

In the past, I have never seen an available flight for any US domestic route on the M+M award site.

I guess I would have to call the M+M Call Center to make such booking manually?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Different strokes but I consider 1.8 cents per mile a good price especially when redeeming for a $5-$8K ticket. Even better when you can plan your trip in advance and not have to wait until the last week wondering whether seats are going to open on the day you've planned to travel.

As for availability, sure you may have to be flexible and be patient, but in the end there is availability.
We've taken 20+ LH First mileage trips in the past 6-7 years and always found flights.
Yes, I actually agree - using miles for a premium award such as First fare might be ok.

I have been treated quite nicely the last few years on MP being a 1K when it came to award travel and I have almost always found a seat on a relative short travel window. Perhaps I am just spoiled that way.

Thanks again for your feedback
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:58 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
In the past, I have never seen an available flight for any US domestic route on the M+M award site.

I guess I would have to call the M+M Call Center to make such booking manually?
The M&M website only shows awards on LH Group of airlines. For anything else you will have to check availability on UA, AC, NH, etc. websites and call M&M.
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The M&M website only shows awards on LH Group of airlines. For anything else you will have to check availability on UA, AC, NH, etc. websites and call M&M.
You mean, check if there is award travel available on, lets say UA, and if so, call M+M?

Would M+M then use the 'pool' of award seats from UA?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
You mean, check if there is award travel available on, lets say UA, and if so, call M+M?

You would have to search for *A partner award availability. I've always used the ANA site which works quite well.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

United saver awards are usually available to *A partners like M&M.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:23 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum

Are there any options to use these miles on award travel by avoiding that expensive fuel surcharge (different Star Alliance member, etc.)?
You can search for your trip as two one-ways. Normally the sum of both legs will be more expensive in terms of total fuel surcharge, but I have found the opposite as well. Plus the surcharges may be asymmetric, i.e. very cheap in one direction and overly expensive in the other direction. In that case you could buy the expensive direction with miles of another program.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Jul 27, 2015 at 9:55 am
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
You search for your trip as two one-ways. Normally the sum of both legs will be more expensive in terms of total fuel surcharge, but I have found the opposite as well. Plus the surcharges may be asymmetric, i.e. very cheap in one direction and overly expensive in the other direction. In that case you could buy the expensive direction with miles of another program.

HTB.
Interesting - I will try that out too.

Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs
You would have to search for *A partner award availability. I've always used the ANA site which works quite well.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
United saver awards are usually available to *A partners like M&M.
Sorry, after thinking this through I am not sure if I actually follow that process.

So, I am checking for an award flight on UA.

If a flight is available on UA as award, then I do what exactly? Just know that this flight has available award seats or do I print out anything and submit to M+M?

I assume that the M+M Call Center would have access to the UA award seats/system and that they 'sell/book/transfer' the UA award seat with their M+M miles?

I have a feeling I am overcomplicating things here but want to make sure I understand the process somewhat.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:31 pm

You will need to call M&M and let them book the tickets. Tell them you saw open award space on UA flight XY and they will take a look if they can access it.

Unfortunately though it is not always the case that M&M can access all open award space shown on UA, but to my experience most of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.