Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No option to upgrade to Premium Economy? [with UA codeshare]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy No option to upgrade to Premium Economy? [with UA codeshare]

Hi -- I'm flying Lufthansa Atlanta - Frankfurt on a United code and United ticket. I want to upgrade to Premium Economy with money or miles or whatever combo it takes, but am having difficulty.

I had thought since it was a United code and ticket, I'd be eligible for United's potential free upgrade to the Economy Plus-equivalent with my United Silver status, but United informed me today that's not true.

Since this is a Lufthansa-operated flight, United doesn't let me pick my seats and definitely doesn't offer me the paid upgrade options for better seats that it does on their own flights.

Lufthansa's site limits what I can do to modify my ticket since it was booked with United. I can't upgrade to Premium Economy with myOffer because it's fewer than 72 hours before the flight (since I'd been waiting for the United 24 hour window). I can't upgrade with Miles & More because even though I'm a member, I don't have any miles in that account (I accrue them all with United).

I can't use my United miles (I have 55,000) to process an upgrade through Star Alliance because it requires a ticket in class Y or B -- I have class V.

Is there any way I can make this happen?! I'm willing to pay either cash or miles and I have that Star Alliance Silver status, though I know that basically means crap-all these days. I'm planning to ask at the ticket counter, but am worried any available seats will be gone by then, since it's July. I'm 5 months pregnant, so would really like to get the upgrade if it's feasible, as well as the access it gives to lounges in Frankfurt, since I have an 8 hour layover (on my way to Kosovo for work). Thanks for any advice.

ETA: Any guesses on what this upgrade would cost?

Last edited by moireach; Jul 5, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Welcome welcome, it seems like you're new to the whole upgrade game. So here are some facts relevant to your case for your future reference:

1. UA Economy Plus (no matter through status or by paid subscription) only gives you Economy Plus seats when flying on a United ticket with a United aircraft which is equipped with these seats. UA Economy Plus is not a separate class of service but is merely a seat with more legroom. LH Premium Economy is a separate class of service from Economy and thus there are no free upgrades based on any elite status.

2. By using UA Miles to upgrade from Economy Class on any other Star Alliance Flight, except UA, you need to buy a full-fare ticket. This is a Star Alliance rule and on Lufthansa corresponds to booking class Y, B.

3. By using Miles&More Miles (Lufthansa's Mileage Program), you can upgrade from Economy Class Y, B, H, M, Q, S, U, V, W with varying mileage upgrade values depending on your booking class.

4. In order to use LH online myOffer upgrade-bidding, you must possess a flight ticket which is issued by Lufthansa and the flight must be operated by Lufthansa.

5. Lufthansa Premium Economy Class does not come with lounge access. However, you are entitled to purchase such access for 25 Euros, but only if you are in possession of a valid Premium Economy Boarding Pass.

Your options:
1. Are you in possession of a United GPU upgrade certificate by any chance? These can be also used on Lufthansa flights.
2. Lufthansa regularly sells Premium Economy Seat upgrades at check-in, if there are still seats available. If you are really desperate about sitting in PE, I would recommend arriving the airport a bit earlier and enquire about the PE Upgrade offer. Other members on this board have posted prices to be ~$250 USD for on-day upgrades.
Check out this thread for more insight: MyOffer Premium Economy [bidding for paid upgrade to PE]
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:54 am

UA GPU would require and upfare to at least Q class and would need to clear at T-10h, so might be limited time judging by the OPs information. But it would result in a C seat, and not only Y+.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for the insights. I didn't understand the distinction between UA Economy+ and Lufthansa Premium Economy, so that's helpful. And yes, I misspoke about LPE having lounge access, I meant to say that it gave you the option to at least buy lounge access in Frankfurt.

I actually flew this exact same set of flights a couple of months ago, but with a ticket bought through Lufthansa: which meant none of the flights were eligible for Premiere Qualifying Dollars under United's new status qualification requirements. This time I intentionally bought through United so I could at least get partial PQD even though the flights weren't United-operated.

It sounds like on routes like this, where there's no itinerary operated by the carrier where I accrue miles, it's something of a choice between earning benefits (getting the PQD with a UA ticket) or having access to even paid upgrades (the option you mentioned for LH online myOffer upgrade-bidding with a Lufthansa ticket). Maybe that's to be expected with the ever-weakening alliance ties/benefits.

(I accrue my miles via United's program and it's my company's policy that I can't buy a much more expensive ticket in a better fare class if a lower-priced one is available. In this case both my Lufthansa flights were V-class.)

Anyway, thanks again for the tips, it'll be helpful to know going forward.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

(And oh, after all this, I tried to buy a Lufthansa Economy Plus seat at the airport and it turns out this plane didn't have that class at all! I had checked Seatguru, but there were multiple versions of the plane and none of them matched with the seating chart Lufthansa was showing me, so I didn't realize.)
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:05 am

So to add a datapoint.

I flew ATL-FRA this week, and had a UA (016) ticket, I called the German LH hotline, and after a long hold, the friendly lady told me since it was a UA ticket, she couldn't upgrade it and to call UA. I didn't bother, since I know what UA would say about LH operated flights.

At the airport, I asked about a paid upgrade, the ticket agent got excited, and tried a hard sell to C for 699 USD. I declined, and asked again about PE, and he looked at a printed chart and said it was 249 USD. I got the feeling that not many people upgrade, since he had to call a supervisor over to show him how.

In the end, I got a receipt that says "NYC AW Airport Upsell, Economy to Premium Economy, ATL, CLT, DFW, DTW, IAD" for 249 USD. LH re-issued the ticket as an E fare, but still as a 016 number.

If anyone is considering the upgrade, do it, it's equivalent to LH C class, without the lie-flat seat. The food was a lot nicer, and IFE was superb (aircraft was 346 "neue Business")
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by radioactive
..tried a hard sell to C for 699 USD. I declined, and asked again about PE, and he looked at a printed chart and said it was 249 USD.
<snip>
The food was a lot nicer, and IFE was superb (aircraft was 346 "neue Business")
Both are good offers for an award ticket but I'd say 699 for a C stool is better than 1/4K for PE.

PE food isn't better than in C but it beats many PE products out there. I really like it. And yes, the IFE rocks.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, AF
Lufthansa prem eco upsell

At Lufthansa check-in I was offered Premium Eco seat upgrade the last time I flew from DEL-FRA even though I was on a UA016 ticket. I recall it was approx Eur200.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:05 pm

hi folks,

just a qq, if I upgrade at the counter to premium economy, will this change the fare class from L to E and earn me 150% PQM per instead of 100%?

https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/mar...spx?itemid=298

thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:33 pm

I'm afraid "under the counter" upgrades don't change the underlying booking class.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:54 pm

Someone stated they got a reprint with a new booking class E on it - that's why I was asking..
Oh well, one can dream
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
What is the current cash price to purchase an upgrade at the check-in counter from FRA-IAH to go from economy to premium economy? What is the same for economy to business? My ticket is on UA stock so I cannot purchase ahead of time from Lufthansa.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:17 am

Is the check-in counter still the only way to do this? In a few days I've got a Boston to Johannesburg RT that is a United ticket with codeshares on South African Airways and Lufthansa for some legs. It's SAA from and to Europe, and LH back to Boston, after a seven hour layover in FRA.

LH site of course doesn't not recognize my booking code, so I can't do anything there. Is there any point to calling them? Having to check-in with SA in JNB suggests to me that I won't be able to buy into E+ on LH there. Will I be able to (subject to seat availability) in FRA?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by vttale
LH site of course doesn't not recognize my booking code, so I can't do anything there. Is there any point to calling them? Having to check-in with SA in JNB suggests to me that I won't be able to buy into E+ on LH there. Will I be able to (subject to seat availability) in FRA?
Take the United Code and check your reservation on United.
Under "Additional information" (or similar) you can see the LH Booking Code.

You can use this code to check your reservation and options (if you have any) on the LH website.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:10 pm

Thank you. Lufthansa somehow did get knowledge of the flight, I guess after I registered my Mileage Plus number on their site, without me even needing to put in the code from the United reservation. It still won't let me do anything about the seat, unfortunately; neither picking in economy nor bidding for an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.