Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New (Microwave) Scanners at FRA - No "opt-out"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

Just went through security at FRA A and went through the new scanner line.

Asked for a manual check, but was informed that no "opt-out" exists in Europe. However, was shown the metal detector line that I could have used.

Was advised that this "microwave" device was not the same as the US ones and was not as "harmful"...

Any info on this and current regulations?

Was advised that this would become mandatory throughout European airports...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I'd be interested to know the regulations on this one as I was under the impression that passenger could opt out of full body scanners in UK/Europe. Anybody know the answer?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:34 am

I opt out regularly ie almost weekly in FRA with zero issue and the resulting check is far less invasive or rude than in America. Same holds true for the dozens of times I have opted out in AMS.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:23 pm

I often get funny comments opting out in FRA and DUS, including once case where I was told it would be reported to the police. I told them to go right ahead...
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:13 pm

You apparently got told bull..

I would have asked for a superior.. those "security" guys seems to be on drugs since they've striked themselves to fairly high hourly wages..
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
2 months ago myself, my wife and our 6 month old went through security in FRA T2 where they only had one of these machines, no metal detectors (as the security is at the gates in the non-schengen section.

I went through alone, my wife passed me our daughter around the side and then she went through but they didn't know what to do about the baby! So in the end she was not checked at all.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Microwave , EMF = Bad for Body.

I'm highly sensitive to electromagnetic energy and have always opted out of any of those units and have been given a pat down.

No matter how 'safe' it claims it is, it isn't. My head literally burns when passing between two units.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:15 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It's not microwaves, it is millimeter waves. Does that change your reasoning, or is it just based on casual reading about the evils of "radiation"?

Do you use a cellphone? Sit near fluorescent light bulbs? Or are you only sensitive to the things that you think are bad?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I am sure there is a note at the check that for example pacemaker pax can opt out.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I encountered this miracle of safety technlgy at FRA on Friday. The 'friendly' FRA safety dude noticed my and volontarily offered me to go to the other station if didn't want to be milliwaved. ^
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
You can opt out anywhere in the European Union.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I think the most amusing experience I had was in IJK (Izhevsk, Russia). Security was a WTMD, but the lady manning the detector saw my insulin pump and motioned to take it off. My Russian doesn't extend to explaining insulin pumps but I showed her it was attached to me and couldn't come off. She then seemed to decide it was some kind of pacemaker, wouldn't let me through the WTMD, sent me round it and gave me the briefest wanding I have ever had.
I didn't even opt out
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Microwave , EMF = Bad for Body.

I'm highly sensitive to electromagnetic energy and have always opted out of any of those units and have been given a pat down.

No matter how 'safe' it claims it is, it isn't. My head literally burns when passing between two units.
I experienced tingling all over my body after I was *forced* through one in an outstation in Denmark just a few days ago. Therefore, a +1 on this.

Originally Posted by TA
It's not microwaves, it is millimeter waves. Does that change your reasoning, or is it just based on casual reading about the evils of "radiation"?

Do you use a cellphone? Sit near fluorescent light bulbs? Or are you only sensitive to the things that you think are bad?
I get dull headaches after using a cellphone - try to hold it about 4 inches away from my head...

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I encountered this miracle of safety technlgy at FRA on Friday. The 'friendly' FRA safety dude noticed my and volontarily offered me to go to the other station if didn't want to be milliwaved. ^
+1, in a way - that's what the guy indicated at FRA to me, but I already put my handluggage through his (millimeter) machine lane/line.

Originally Posted by mfkne
You can opt out anywhere in the European Union.
So far this is disputed at 2 airports in Europe...would like copies of some legislation.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
So far this is disputed at 2 airports in Europe...would like copies of some legislation.
Piece of cake:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/...canners_en.htm

If EU Member States / airports decided to use them, EU minimum operational conditions and performance requirements are applicable, in particular:
[...]
passengers must be given the possibility of opting out from a security scanner.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
They are legally required to allow an opt out. It is part of what allowed the scanners to be used in the EU.

The only place that does not allow an opt out of a body scanner at an airport check point is Australia (which to do so, the government backtracked on what they had promised, then ignored every single public comment on the matter). Even then, in the 3 years since they got forced on people departing Australia, I have yet to be forced into one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.