Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Seat Reservations on Lufthansa operated flights when booked through United [merged]

Seat Reservations on Lufthansa operated flights when booked through United [merged]

Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Hi folks!

This is a friendly reminder to stay on topic and respect the FT rules. Posts that violate the FT rules will be deleted.

Have a nice day
totti
co-moderator M&M forum
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lack
Seems I'm not the only illiterate here. If you read the thread I linked to you'd perhaps notice the pattern of "codeshare booked with United" leading people to this mess and this certainly ain't a new development.
I find ASR on LH to be frustrating at best. I've had inconsistent ASR results when traveling on LH flights on LH tickets bought on LH.com. What really irritates me is being able to initially select a seat and then getting a "Seat Reservations is not possible for this flight" when looking at the reservation in the future.

And codeshare flights on a UA ticket are just as bad.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
I find ASR on LH to be frustrating at best. I've had inconsistent ASR results when traveling on LH flights on LH tickets bought on LH.com. What really irritates me is being able to initially select a seat and then getting a "Seat Reservations is not possible for this flight" when looking at the reservation in the future.
More often then not I get the same error (even for integrated airlines or LH proper). But the seat selection seems to stick.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
[redacted]The CEO of LH did not respond to my email. One of his employees in the Executive Office did respond, however, and the problem was solved. Did not matter at all that one of the flights was booked as a codeshare. [redacted].

Last edited by oliver2002; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:13 am Reason: redacted personal comments
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner
[redacted]The CEO of LH did not respond to my email. One of his employees in the Executive Office did respond, however, and the problem was solved. Did not matter at all that one of the flights was booked as a codeshare. [redacted].
I am glad you were able to get the problem resolved, however, this is a systemic issue affecting many travelers and most of us do not have access to your resources. Lufthansa should consider the value on return for making seat selection on codeshares easier to accomplish. At the end of the day the more we can do ourselves, the less support personnel are needed. This reduces costs. It also makes us more likely to select Lufthansa for future flights, this increases revenue.

If you see that I have some sort of seat, let me select one myself and/or pay for a better one. A last name and Lufthansa record locator should be really all that is ever required to access the booking info.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Bouncer
Lufthansa should consider the value on return for making seat selection on codeshares easier to accomplish.
Sometimes I feel their approach is intentionally the opposite, making it slightly more difficult for every other way of booking that wasn't done through their own system.

It's also the same way Miles&More operates. Booking an award flight with LH group can be done over their website. Booking an award flight with a Star Alliance airline has to be done over the phone, like we did in the 50s. This is clearly to discourage booking a flight with a different airline.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:24 am

I am booked through United to fly LH this weekend, and was able to call LH on Tuesday to choose my seat, even though the website still doesn't allow me access to the seat-picker.

All went smoothly (perhaps because I'm flying F on LH?) and my seat choice (1K) is now listed on my booking online.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by Bouncer
I am glad you were able to get the problem resolved, however, this is a systemic issue affecting many travelers and most of us do not have access to your resources. Lufthansa should consider the value on return for making seat selection on codeshares easier to accomplish. At the end of the day the more we can do ourselves, the less support personnel are needed. This reduces costs. It also makes us more likely to select Lufthansa for future flights, this increases revenue.

If you see that I have some sort of seat, let me select one myself and/or pay for a better one. A last name and Lufthansa record locator should be really all that is ever required to access the booking info.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Several days after the issue was resolved through email, I received a phone call (today) from an executive at the NY HQ of LH making sure that everything had been resolved to my satisfaction. Very nice and very helpful. So going to the top worked for me.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:37 am

I'm on a UA issued ticket where I cannot select seat on the LH shorthaul feeder, which is a UA codeshare. Nothing to be done before check-in like website tells me? It's in D-class.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Don't bother for the feeder/LH shorthaul flight - it is not worth the hassle/the time you will use to get this solved (maybe). You will be able to select your seat at check-in/online check-in.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: Miles&More, Qatar Privilege Club
Hi all, I booked a trip MXP-FRA-CUN-IAH-FRA-MXP in business class (P fare). I have a Lufthansa booking nr and another for United (CUN-IAH is operated by UA and IAH-FRA-MXP is in codeshare). When entering the LH website, I can see the seats reservation for all the flights except CUN-IAH and when entering UA website I see the seats for the flight CUN-IAH but not the others. For some reasons, I can also see my wife's seats but not mine.
If in the LH website the seats are correctly displayed, I don't have to worry?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ronnie80
Hi all, I booked a trip MXP-FRA-CUN-IAH-FRA-MXP in business class (P fare). I have a Lufthansa booking nr and another for United (CUN-IAH is operated by UA and IAH-FRA-MXP is in codeshare). When entering the LH website, I can see the seats reservation for all the flights except CUN-IAH and when entering UA website I see the seats for the flight CUN-IAH but not the others. For some reasons, I can also see my wife's seats but not mine.
If in the LH website the seats are correctly displayed, I don't have to worry?
I wouldn't worry. In my experience seat assignments don't always show correctly online but they do end up being correct at check in.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:21 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mevr
It's also the same way Miles&More operates. Booking an award flight with LH group can be done over their website. Booking an award flight with a Star Alliance airline has to be done over the phone, like we did in the 50s. This is clearly to discourage booking a flight with a different airline.
And the terrifying thing: it's actually working as can be seen from a number of threads in this forum. I would think >50% of the members just assume that it's either not possible to book anything but LH/LX... with M&M miles (many members also believe they can only earn miles on LH with a M&M card), or that there's simply no availability.

HTB.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:48 pm

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
As an update to some earlier posts, here's my experience as of Feb 2017.

I've booked an itinerary via UA website which has LH-operated UA codeshare flights on the return flight (economy fare type L). Using the LH booking code I'm able to see my flights on the LH website but given no option to edit them. I created a Miles and More account and tried using the M&M website, I was also able to see the booking but not edit seats (contrary to what a previous poster was able to do). I called LH customer service (only a few rings to answer) and was told there is no way to purchase in advance for a codeshare flight, I'd need to wait for T-23.

I'm probably better off than many with this flight, as I have an overnight layover in FRA, so assuming I get to reserve seats for both legs at T-23 of the first leg, I'll be checking in at something like T-43 for the TATL segment.

- Bill
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by BillShepp
As an update to some earlier posts, here's my experience as of Feb 2017.

I've booked an itinerary via UA website which has LH-operated UA codeshare flights on the return flight (economy fare type L). Using the LH booking code I'm able to see my flights on the LH website but given no option to edit them. I created a Miles and More account and tried using the M&M website, I was also able to see the booking but not edit seats (contrary to what a previous poster was able to do). I called LH customer service (only a few rings to answer) and was told there is no way to purchase in advance for a codeshare flight, I'd need to wait for T-23.

I'm probably better off than many with this flight, as I have an overnight layover in FRA, so assuming I get to reserve seats for both legs at T-23 of the first leg, I'll be checking in at something like T-43 for the TATL segment.

- Bill
You cannot select seats in advance for discout economy fares, L is one of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.